The french bulldog best of breed controversy

P3LH

Visit site
I always find it ironic that dog showing goes on all year round but people only get up in arms about it when Crufts is on - I mean, it’s not even like it’s the pinnacle of success? Much as the media like to make out it is of course 😊
Tbh I think the same about the above too. I’d spend much of my spare time trawling around and spectating but that has subsided too over the last 18 months or so, for the same reason that I feel quite meh about crufts this year

SkylarkAscending

Visit site
Because it is televised. Other dog shows are not.

Well yes I understand that - but if people really cared they’d make more of it, instead of once a year?

Having been brought up in the whole thing I’m the world’s worst cynic about dog showing, it’s (in my experience only!) a total fix a lot of the time and about who you know 🙄

P3LH

Visit site
I really am interested to see what happens tomorrow in regards to the French bulldog, the situation certainly isn’t going away quietly so it’ll be interesting to see what the KC does to a dog that so blatantly doesn’t fit the revised standard/their huge push of positives changes within then breed.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I made the point about 'fit for purpose' years ago on here, but was it was pointed out by a pug exhibitor that wouldn't work, as pugs, for example, don't have a purpose, so what possible test could be done?

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Speaking up for flyball a bit because I do do it with my younger dog. There is a fair bit of training to it, particularly in terms of staying focused on the handler without getting distracted/put off by by the hyped up dog staring down the lane at them & furious activity in lane alongside, and in terms of technique for speed around the box etc.

I do also know a fair few longterm flyball dogs of a good age who are absolutely sound.

That being said, the competitive rather than training/just for fun side does make me cringe. Those dogs are really drilled and there is very little that can be done to reduce the physical impact with technique other than to get them really fit. My dog is very slow (because small, not a whippet, collie or spaniel etc) and triggers the box with both front paws rather than on the turn (which I make no efforts to alter), so it is purely a leisure activity for us, and I wouldn't want that to change tbh.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Better not read the multiple showing/dressage/hunting threads on the main channel then 🙈🙈🙈

I wasn't intending to 'dunk' on anything. It is just my uneducated observation.

Oh I read them, I've been on here a while lol, but haven't ridden for years so don't feel qualified to comment.

One never knows who is reading the public forum and all forms of animal sports are under attack from AR campaigners.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
I dunno, I just don't think dunking on other people's sports is cool.
There are A Lot of people who come to taster sessions at flyball who either have the 'my dog loooveees balls so much this will be easy' or 'my (usually collie) is just so well trained and focused on me (sure, when you're right next to it pouring treats down its throat)' mindsets, and then very quickly decide it is not for them as their dog entirely ignores the ball, skips the ring and goes zoomies, gets madly over-reactive to the other dogs etc etc, and training a dog in that environment rather than alone in a quiet environment actually takes quite a bit of work.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
I like to be proven wrong - the rough collie BOB was a proper rough, and from a fabulous breeder, and I really liked the Pem BOB - little low at the front but neither a draught excluder nor a dick dragged, and a beautiful head and expression.
I really liked the Pembroke

Mynstrel

Visit site
There are A Lot of people who come to taster sessions at flyball who either have the 'my dog loooveees balls so much this will be easy' or 'my (usually collie) is just so well trained and focused on me (sure, when you're right next to it pouring treats down its throat)' mindsets, and then very quickly decide it is not for them as their dog entirely ignores the ball, skips the ring and goes zoomies, gets madly over-reactive to the other dogs etc etc, and training a dog in that environment rather than alone in a quiet environment actually takes quite a bit of work.
I think that's the same with most dog sports, people see it on telly/YouTube and think it's easy. Find out in the first 5 minutes of trying that it isn't and either become determined to learn or go home and get the biscuits out 😁

Annette4

Visit site
I like to be proven wrong - the rough collie BOB was a proper rough, stunning in fact and from a fabulous breeder, and I really liked the Pem BOB - little low at the front but neither a draught excluder nor a dick dragged, and a beautiful head and expression.
I don't think it's any surprise I liked the Pembroke 🤣

I'll be honest (and I'm a flyballer), I hate flyball at Crufts. I don't think it shows what the sport really is and it gives the appearance that its not a sport for any dog....which is absolutely is. The less said about at least one of the teams there this year the better but I find personally it puts people off trying the sport.

P3LH

Visit site
I don't think it's any surprise I liked the Pembroke 🤣

I'll be honest (and I'm a flyballer), I hate flyball at Crufts. I don't think it shows what the sport really is and it gives the appearance that its not a sport for any dog....which is absolutely is. The less said about at least one of the teams there this year the better but I find personally it puts people off trying the sport.
It was a really nice one, I’m surprised after recent years and trends. Think it should have placed higher, my own personal love of the breed aside. It was a really good dog overall, I wonder if breeders will take note not only of shape but also of the fact a pastoral dog should be able to move - which it sure could!

MurphysMinder

Visit site
It was a really nice one, I’m surprised after recent years and trends. Think it should have placed higher, my own personal love of the breed aside. It was a really good dog overall, I wonder if breeders will take note not only of shape but also of the fact a pastoral dog should be able to move - which it sure could!

I thought it should have been higher too, lovely attitude and movement.

P3LH

Visit site
I thought it should have been higher too, lovely attitude and movement.
The true pem character, a mini shepherd type dog - the temperament and character of the very exaggerated type that the show ring seems to often prefer is quite different.

It was nice to see heelers get a spotlight discussion moment on the coverage too.

NinjaPony

Visit site
It was so depressing to see the French bulldog win over much more ‘for for function’ dogs in the group. As a papillon owner I was thrilled to see another papillon win best in group, it’s a stunning dog and thankfully papillons seem to look the same as they have done for centuries by and large.

Until judges are held accountable for their decisions, nothing will change. That dog should be disqualified for not meeting the standards and the judge penalised IMO.

Esmae

Visit site
In many breeds it’s an old boys club mentality. Some people could walk up with a ferret or a French lop on a fancy show slip lead and get placed. Standards are linked so closely to breed clubs, many of which operate on a similar mantra - in my experience only of course, but that includes a range of breeds from Staffords through to yorkies.
This, all day long.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I wish judging in both horse and dog shows wouldn't reward absolute shite. Especially when it clearly goes against animal welfare. Why on earth do judges see a smashed face dog and think, "Yes! A superb specimen!" or a squatty Shepherd and think, "Yes, this is the pinnacle of the breed." Or even an obese Lab and think that's ok too. I've seen all sorts of things at dog shows that give me zero interest in it.

I'm still forever annoyed that they allow and promote dogs with cropped ears too (well, I'm not sure about every show). Docked tails sometimes I get, but for the most part, it's not necessary.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
How nice it would be if to qualify, your dog had to be proven in a sport or similar as well as what it physically looks like.

They must be able to dog!

Any dog that can't dog, can't enter.

This is the system in most of Europe in working breeds 🤷🏼‍♀️ no top honours unless there's a working qualification.

palo1

Visit site
It was so depressing to see the French bulldog win over much more ‘for for function’ dogs in the group. As a papillon owner I was thrilled to see another papillon win best in group, it’s a stunning dog and thankfully papillons seem to look the same as they have done for centuries by and large.

Until judges are held accountable for their decisions, nothing will change. That dog should be disqualified for not meeting the standards and the judge penalised IMO.
the Papillon was super; I have always fancied one! Tell us more about them!! :)