The Peel case horses - the lost ones

be positive

Visit site
So out of 35, not all "rescued" by the rspca, some probably disappeared pre 2013, there is only 1 who has truly been rescued and rehomed, Bubblegum rehomed under a different identity by HAPPA, a few unlucky ones have been returned to the peels the rest were killed fairly quickly most for no good reason, only Taragun was fatally injured during the collection process.
A few are still missing having been taken by the RSPCA I guess they were also destroyed but they are not admitting it, I still cannot understand how they took in these horses, had the passports, microchip details of most, yet didn't seem to make any attempt to try to work towards getting them healthy, they were in the main just a bit underweight and suffering from mudfever/ rainscald, a month of care would have been enough to get that sorted, some were very young, they were all quality animals but they gave them no chance, apart from the few that were returned, beyond belief.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
The AHS contacted the RSPCA with homes lined up for the horses, but said that the RSPCA wouldn't enter into any discussion about it.

Archangel

Visit site
Despite all the publicity on here and in the Daily Mail they are welcomed as fence judges at a BE event? Was Jamie Gray there as well? I'm shocked - did news of the case not reach the eventing world then? Or did the RSCA (P deliberately left out) blunders overshadow what really went on. Does nothing really matter any more?

Last edited:

BlackRider

Visit site
This is horrific, makes my bool boil overtime I hear about it :(

Wish the Peels could feel a fraction of what they inflicted on their horses....

BlackRider

Visit site
PS I can't even contemplate who the ******* decided it was ok to return horses to them after everything they did? Bangs head..

zaminda

Visit site
This case has demonstrated why the RSPCA need investigating by the charities commission. The slaughter of horses that would have been easily rehomed, and the charging of livery for horses that were already dead destroyed the case, and any remaining faith many had in them. Sadly as they ended up being cleared in effect, the horses were returned. We need to keep this in the public eye, so that no one ever trusts them again. They were hugely believable, and because they were out competing with horses that looked great, no one questioned it.
It speaks to the personality of the girl that she has had the audacity to post on AL post the case, under her old username of Taragun.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
This case has demonstrated why the RSPCA need investigating by the charities commission. The slaughter of horses that would have been easily rehomed, and the charging of livery for horses that were already dead destroyed the case, and any remaining faith many had in them. Sadly as they ended up being cleared in effect, the horses were returned. We need to keep this in the public eye, so that no one ever trusts them again. They were hugely believable, and because they were out competing with horses that looked great, no one questioned it.
It speaks to the personality of the girl that she has had the audacity to post on AL post the case, under her old username of Taragun.

so true the posts on Al are posted on daily to keep them at the top so it's never forgotten, it just really saddens me to think of all those horses shot when most of them only had rain scald, poor feet and were under weight they could have been re homed easily they all were used to being handled.

Damnation

Visit site
What angers me is the amount of horses that the RSPCA cannot rehome as they are "permenant residents" yet with these horses, people were falling over themselves to give the horses a home, or take back horses they had bred/loaned to the Peel's no matter what condition they were in or what their behaviour was like.

Then the limbo, not knowing if your horse is dead or alive, to be given a glimmer of hope to then be told your horse has been dead the whole time.

I HATE the RSPCA.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
What angers me is the amount of horses that the RSPCA cannot rehome as they are "permenant residents"
I don't think that the RSPCA have permanent residents. IME (I foster young ponies for them), all the animals are up for fostering or adopting once ready.

The Peel case was a disaster all round, and not the RSPCA's finest hour at all. My experience with them has been much more positive, I don't suffer fools gladly but I have been impressed in my dealings with them at a particular Equine centre.

FGI, a pic of the Cholmondely Horse Trials programme from 30/31 July 2016, which I referred to earlier. The Peels are clearly listed as Fence Judges.

Rollin

Visit site
I take my hat off to the Arabian breeders/fans who have pursued this case. I note that Mysticfold Charming Boy a CB stallion and some of his part-bred progeny were among those which died or disappeared. A terrible tragedy.

I cannot post on here but am aware of another shocking case involving the RSPCA.

Rollin

Visit site
Why'd did they need witnesses if horses were found starving and dead horses were left in fields with live ones?

be positive

Visit site
Probably because the RSPCA cocked everything up. Can they still keep dogs and were any returned?

Why'd did they need witnesses if horses were found starving and dead horses were left in fields with live ones?

Some of the horses and dogs were signed over at the start so were the RSPCA's to do with as they felt "best" the horses were almost all destroyed, dogs were rehomed/ destroyed, end of the matter regarding those, the ones that for some reason were not signed over were returned as technically they still belonged to the Peels.

I have no idea why they required witnesses as everything SHOULD have been clear cut and documented/ photographed but considering the only horse that was requiring immediate destruction was injured after being signed over I guess the evidence was not as clear cut as it should have been, no question that they were guilty of cruelty/ negligence but in law the onus is on the prosecution to prove guilt not the guilty to prove their innocence, by destroying the horses, messing up the evidence, trying to defraud by claiming costs that were not genuine they had lost the case on technicalities, they always want the BIG case so in trying to make it bigger they lost the whole lot.
It is why in my view they should not prosecute but concentrate on preventing cruelty, which was the original purpose, rather than always setting out to gather enough to prosecute, they should rescue animals from bad situations, give advice if possible and when real cruelty/ negligence is found they should gather information/ facts and pass on for the state to take further action, far better to do this than spend all their time and money pushing people into court, this is not the first case they have spent millions on and lost and will not be the last.

Wella

Visit site
Yes please look at page one on there. A lot of hard work has gone into this list. If it just saves one horse from falling into their hands it will be worth it. No doubt they will be on the look out for new eventers. Don't let it be yours!!!

Rollin

Visit site
There were also Cleveland Bays identified from the Peel post on AL. The stallion she owned was lent to a breeder in Oxfordshire, where he died from colic in 2010. A pure bred mare is believed to be alive, though no one can confirm that. The whereabout of two other Cleveland Bays mentioned in the court case are unknown. Their stable names were Coco and Frodo - I think Frodo was a pure bred CB but, if I am correct, his transfer of ownership was never registered, when he was sold as a 3/4 year old.