The Tessy bear BOGOF thread

nostromo70

Visit site
Over mare never showed any waxing. She didn't look as if she was ready to drop a foal when we checked at 11pm but when she was checked at 7am there were 8 legs and 2 heads in the shelter. Not everything goes by the book, the foal will come when it comes. Just be as prepared as you can be. Good luck

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
Pfft! I couldnt sleep then i over slept! bad pony owner! Thank god mum turned dee out otherwise pony woud have been pee'd off!

You should have done what I did, got up at 6.30 fed and turned out the horses, fed cats, dogs and fish then went back to bed and got up at 11 o'clock!!!! Can't remember the last time I stayed in bed that long.

Just wanted to say that my mare didn't wax at all and as her foal was supposedly due around 20th June and hadn't arrived by 15th July we had the vet to check her. He told us that he thought she must have aborted earlier in the pregnancy as she had been scanned in foal. she was not showing any of the normal signs and hadn't put on any baby belly and had no milk. Early on the 16th July went to yard to feed and there was a very leggy filly up and feeding and a very proud mum more than happy to show off her foal. That was 20 years ago this year and that little filly is still with me.

WelshD

Visit site
Ok just so I am organised are you going to start a new thread when foalie arrives or add to this one?

Just need to know if I need to be looking for another thread when it happens thats all :p

redmone

Visit site
How about Gothams Joker?!

Can I ask, how do you feel walking up to the stable each morning, knowing there might be two heads popping up to greet you!!! Don't think I'd be able to sleep full stop, with excitement!!!

tessybear

Visit site
I love it :D and it's terrifying and exciting I always check behind her before going in with my fingers crossed :p I think it will be tomorrow night that's when I'm taking bets :)

redmone

Visit site
I'd be creeping up to catch her foaling, then walking away and coming back 10 times for a "last check"!!!

Mind you, I do that to make sure I've locked Dollys stable door! OCD? Me? Never? *blushes*

pip6

Visit site
All the best, foals are seriously exciting. Ours (intended) this year is due mid-may, fingers crossed the weather picks up.

I was lucky when breeding my first one (omg 6 this year & get proud as anything riding her). Was based on small stud so had brilliant backup & tuition from yo. There are some great books out there dealing with foaling & afterwards. Talk on here is helpful, e.g. look for slack vulva, but pictures help so much (you will know what it should look like when you've seen photo of it or even better got to see a mare soon to drop).

Great to hear you have help waiting once she starts. If things go wrong it goes bad very quickly, not to scare you but to emphasise experienced help is invaluable.

I spent 6 weeks sleeping in my car at yard, & sharing checking duties with yo (foaling imminents were checked 2 hourly so I was up through the night then working full time in the day). After all that my darling (!!! I think not the old bag) mare decided to foal at noon in the field.....but I happened to be home that day as I was revising for an exam the next day. Got a ring at 11.30 am saying get back here now! Wouldn't have missed it for anything.

Last edited:

tessybear

Visit site
Day 2 continued

We had a few sloppy poos today, so we put extra bedding in just incase she does go over night we are at a party to no doubt it will come then:rolleyes: It's fine though mumtold her she has to have it out before 30 mins so we are prepped :D

Well someone clearly enjoyed a day in the sun without her rug on :rolleyes:
wa0rrt.jpg

Mini T must of thought there was an earthquake :D

scary to think just weeks ago we were doing this :
js0sag.jpg

A non horsey friend said: " hey foal has done it's first jump" :p

And then Jenna edited this today of Tessy, I love it her eyes are full of so much emotion and she always has this kind, sorrowful expression i hope the foal takes on those beautiful eyes :)
2cz6kq1.jpg

Decided i will only update at night now so i can put everything on one post, unless foal comes then it will morning :)

PollyP

Visit site
I have no help to offer whatsoever but been quietly following the threads and I can't wait to see the little one when he/she arrives! Very jealous!! :)

tessybear

Visit site
I have no help to offer whatsoever but been quietly following the threads and I can't wait to see the little one when he/she arrives! Very jealous!! :)

Aw thank you :) getting our heads round it now and finally quite excited :)

I agree with your friend, I XC'd when I was 4 months pregnant with my son, have some lovely photos from that day to show him his first XC when he is older!

That's brilliant experienced horseman already :D

Nettle123

Visit site
We had a bogoff foaling, it was lovely. The mare came to us three months before foaling so had time to get her into the routine of in every night. I checked her twice during the night for a week as I had a feeling she wasn't far off, she never waxed up.

One evening we had just lit the bbq and poured a glass of wine as it was a beautiful warm sunny evening when I noticed her pacing along the paddock fence and glaring at us. As soon as we went over the waters broke and she went down. As she started to push I had a quick look to check the presentation and then left her to it, the foal was out within 10 minutes. When the foal was well out I did tear the membrane over her nose.

They both just lay in the warm sun for several minutes and then the mare got to her feet breaking the cord. I did a quick spray with iodine but I think thats a bit old fashioned now. It was amazing how quickly the filly was on her feet and at the milk bar. The mare was back grazing within the hour.

Thats when it started to go not quite according to plan, lol. The mare kept the foal away from us so we left her too it and left them out overnight as it was June and great weather. She did not pass the afterbirth for 4 anxious hours.

Next morning when I took her feed in this very placid mare lunged at me and gave me a right bite even though I had kept away from the foal. Its probably quite rare but it was a surprise. For the first probably 2 weeks we left them too it and eventually the over protectiveness wore off. The foal never had a foal slip on until she was over a month old. Its just a possibility to be aware of really. The beautifully prepared stable was never used until they came in at night in the autumn but they did have access to a barn to get away from the flies or rain.

It was a great fun experience and our foal is nearly 3 now and very well adjusted youngster.

Last edited:

tessybear

Visit site
I so pleased to hear you are getting excited :) her foal will be such a cutie, she is beautiful

:) Thank you lovely
We had a bogoff foaling, it was lovely. The mare came to us three months before foaling so had time to get her into the routine of in every night. I checked her twice during the night for a week as I had a feeling she wasn't far off, she never waxed up.

One evening we had just lit the bbq and poured a glass of wine as it was a beautiful warm sunny evening when I noticed her pacing along the paddock fence and glaring at us. As soon as we went over the waters broke and she went down. As she started to push I had a quick look to check the presentation and then left her to it, the foal was out within 10 minutes. When the foal was well out I did tear the membrane over her nose.

They both just lay in the warm sun for several minutes and then the mare got to her feet breaking the cord. I did a quick spray with iodine but I think thats a bit old fashioned now. It was amazing how quickly the filly was on her feet and at the milk bar. The mare was back grazing within the hour.

Thats when it started to go not quite according to plan, lol. The mare kept the foal away from us so we left her too it and left them out overnight as it was June and great weather. She did not pass the afterbirth for 4 anxious hours.

Next morning when I took her feed in this very placid mare lunged at me and gave me a right bite even though I had kept away from the foal. Its probably quite rare but it was a surprise. For the first probably 2 weeks we left them too it and eventually the over protectiveness wore off. The foal never had a foal slip on until she was over a month old. Its just a possibility to be aware of really. The beautifully prepared stable was never used until they came in at night in the autumn but they did have access to a barn to get away from the flies or rain.

It was a great fun experience and our foal is nearly 3 now and very well adjusted youngster.

Ah nice to hear success stories :) we have been warned about her becoming protective but i don't blame her foals certainly cannot protect themselves !

catembi

Visit site
I'm excited for you too & a bit jealous! I **love** the idea of a surprise foal, but I have 2 geldings, & my mare is 40, so it's not gonna happen!

Hope it all goes smoothly for you.

T x

tessybear

Visit site
I'm excited for you too & a bit jealous! I **love** the idea of a surprise foal, but I have 2 geldings, & my mare is 40, so it's not gonna happen!

Hope it all goes smoothly for you.

T x

Jeez 40 ! what a grand old age :) Thank you lovely i'm sure everything will be fine

Equilibrium Ireland

Visit site
TB,

The fitter a mare is the easier the birth. Honestly mares can handle a little work.

When I was a kid I went to a summer camp in which they used their pregnant mares for camp. They had a foal and kept going!!!!OMG. Obviously that's a bit much and I was a stupid kid. Now I think how horrible for those mares. Yet they were fit and had zero problems foaling and babies were fine. I'm not advocating this method but just letting you know you've done no harm. Much better to have some fitness than to be overweight and zero fitness.

Tessy really is gorgeous and this baby has a world waiting for him/her to come into the world. That is so cool. My babies never had such a fan club! LOL!

Terri

tessybear

Visit site
TB,

The fitter a mare is the easier the birth. Honestly mares can handle a little work.

When I was a kid I went to a summer camp in which they used their pregnant mares for camp. They had a foal and kept going!!!!OMG. Obviously that's a bit much and I was a stupid kid. Now I think how horrible for those mares. Yet they were fit and had zero problems foaling and babies were fine. I'm not advocating this method but just letting you know you've done no harm. Much better to have some fitness than to be overweight and zero fitness.

Tessy really is gorgeous and this baby has a world waiting for him/her to come into the world. That is so cool. My babies never had such a fan club! LOL!

Terri

Well mum said if they were in the wild they wuld have to be cantering about etc :D so that's our excuse but yes we did feel slightly guilty :eek:.

Ah thank you so much :) I know everyone has been so kind and supportive, you will have to post some pictures of your babies would be lovely to see some ickle foals :D

Ebenezer_Scrooge

Visit site
Congratulations!!! :D:D Tessy is a lovely looking mare with a kind eye :)

One of my old friends had a BOGOF too...had a lovely skewbald filly no problems. Mare was getting lazy & putting on weight & she was getting vet out as ??expecting :eek: She asked me for my thoughts a couple of days before & you could see her belly moving from side to side when she was standing still & feel wriggling. She was in shock too but it worked out fine. :)

Looking forward to all the updates!!! :)