The thread of all Olympic Threads

Parrotperson

Visit site
I like dalera but…

For a supposedly relaxed horse she’s fussy in her mouth and the tail swishes constantly. Freestyle looks more relaxed to me and I think she could win tomorrow assuming we don’t get the silly scoring because it’s *that* person competing. Which let’s face it does happen.

And what’s the betting Jessica will get to go last. Again!! (Am hoping it isn’t a draw but they go in order of results here??)

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I for one think that it is good that RV keeps bringing CJD’s name up. He’s the one to keep it up there while the industry insiders who are his fellow commentators would prefer it all to be brushed over and hushed up

It was the lead item on the main BBC TV news when it broke, not a little side story.

daffy44

Visit site
@LadyGascoyne I'm so sorry for being so behind, but I've just watched Carl, and the short answer of why he (just) beat Becky is that Fame is four yrs older. Without that expensive break in the extended trot he would have been quite a bit higher, Fame is just stronger and a little more expressive, a little more light on his feet, and Carl rides him extremely tactfully. I agree he is too short in the neck quite a lot of the time, but that is the disadvantage of getting a horse already at a high level rather than training the horse the whole way through yourself, as Becky has done. I'm imaging the reason the short neck is not marked down more is that the contact is always visibly soft and several times during the test Carl pushes his hands forward always encouraging the neck out, even if it doesnt always quite come off.

eta: also he did a better entry and halt.

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
@LadyGascoyne I'm so sorry for being so behind, but I've just watched Carl, and the short answer of why he (just) beat Becky is that Fame is four yrs older. Without that expensive break in the extended trot he would have been quite a bit higher, Fame is just stronger and a little more expressive, a little more light on his feet, and Carl rides him extremely tactfully. I agree he is too short in the neck quite a lot of the time, but that is the disadvantage of getting a horse already at a high level rather than training the horse the whole way through yourself, as Becky has done. I'm imaging the reason the short neck is not marked down more is that the contact is always visibly soft and several times during the test Carl pushes his hands forward always encouraging the neck out, even if it doesnt always quite come off.

eta: also he did a better entry and halt.

Thank you! Yes, I hadn’t wanted to say anything about that mistake until after you’d watched it but Carl’s test was marked substantially higher than Becky’s, but for that mistake. So even though they came out pretty even, and one might be tempted to say there wasn’t a lot to split them because the scores are so close, there actually seemed to be a lot more difference to the judges than I was seeing, with my untrained eye.

I was interested to see what your thought was in terms of what the quality was that was setting them apart. I can see, with my very basic knowledge, that Fame is more expressive but I wasn’t sure that I liked the expressiveness over the harmony that Becky’s horse showed - but I don’t have the expertise. I was surprised that they were that far apart in scores, actually. But what you say makes perfect sense - there is a development stage at play here too, and I can see that Carl and Fame’s test was more mature.

I can see what you mean with Carl giving the horse the room and the horse not necessarily taking it. Do you think that’s what happened on the extended trot when he got that canter stride? To my eye, he seemed to be giving him a lot more room and space in the extended trot than he did in the GP.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
The beeb aren’t letting the CDJ affair and its effect on the team drop in their report.

lol at Becky’s comment

"Two weeks ago I was expecting to come for a lovely 10-day holiday in France, to be inspired, learn, and go home better.

daffy44

Visit site
Thank you! Yes, I hadn’t wanted to say anything about that mistake until after you’d watched it but Carl’s test was marked substantially higher than Becky’s, but for that mistake. So even though they came out pretty even, and one might be tempted to say there wasn’t a lot to split them because the scores are so close, there actually seemed to be a lot more difference to the judges than I was seeing, with my untrained eye.

I was interested to see what your thought was in terms of what the quality was that was setting them apart. I can see, with my very basic knowledge, that Fame is more expressive but I wasn’t sure that I liked the expressiveness over the harmony that Becky’s horse showed - but I don’t have the expertise. I was surprised that they were that far apart in scores, actually. But what you say makes perfect sense - there is a development stage at play here too, and I can see that Carl and Fame’s test was more mature.

I can see what you mean with Carl giving the horse the room and the horse not necessarily taking it. Do you think that’s what happened on the extended trot when he got that canter stride? To my eye, he seemed to be giving him a lot more room and space in the extended trot than he did in the GP.
Maybe, Carl generally prefers to ride for harmony rather than pushing to the limit, and he was a little safer in the GP, in the Special he asked for a little more in the extensions, and with a hot horse thats always a risk, and when he asked for a bit more Fame gave a lot more, more than was asked. Fame likes to do everything for 11 and thats not always helpful!

eta: Despite the short neck I dont think Carl's test lacked harmony, Fame was clearly with him, trying his best, his frame is not as good as Bomba, but that doesnt necessarily mean they lack harmony.

Last edited:

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
Maybe, Carl generally prefers to ride for harmony rather than pushing to the limit, and he was a little safer in the GP, in the Special he asked for a little more in the extensions, and with a hot horse thats always a risk, and when he asked for a bit more Fame gave a lot more, more than was asked. Fame likes to do everything for 11 and thats not always helpful!

He really is an amazing rider. Fame scares me 🤣 and he seems to enjoy the horse so much.

Nicnac

Visit site
Carl and Lottie seemed rather sombre in the interview whereas Becky was justifiably delighted. They did so well to finish in bronze and beat the Dutch very convincingly. Would have been lovely to see the Danes in first - so so close!

teapot

Visit site
I think this the top 18 that will go for the Freestyle/Invidiaul medal tomorrow:

von BREDOW-WERNDL Jessica
LAUDRUP-DUFOUR Cathrine
WERTH Isabell
FRY Charlotte
SKODBORG MERRALD Nanna
van LIERE Dinja
HESTER Carl
BACHMANN ANDERSEN Daniel
FREESE Isabel
WANDRES Frederic
MOODY Becky
SCHOLTENS Emmelie
KITTEL Patrik
MAX-THEURER Victoria
NILSHAGEN Therese
BASQUIN Pauline
KANERVA Emma
SYSOJEVA Sandra

teapot

Visit site
Can't believe the eventing was almost a week ago but an interesting comment from Mark Phillips in his latest H&H column:

'The chefs d’equipe had communication issues in working with technical delegate (TD) Marcin Konaski, and at the time of writing a number of chefs are planning to make an official complaint to the FEI'.

ihatework

Visit site
Can't believe the eventing was almost a week ago but an interesting comment from Mark Phillips in his latest H&H column:

'The chefs d’equipe had communication issues in working with technical delegate (TD) Marcin Konaski, and at the time of writing a number of chefs are planning to make an official complaint to the FEI'.

I’d imagine the FEI are working overtime at the moment!