The thread of all Olympic Threads

Equi

Visit site
When the French ladies horse started napping I feared we would have another situation like last year. Thankfully the horse decided nah I’m not gonna bother off you go 😂

GT_02

Visit site
I'm sad it's over too. It's the pinnacle of the sporting calendar for me, and it think they've done a great job of this Games, both team GB and the organisers.

Darcey69

Visit site
The rounds mostly got worse as the final progressed. Not good viewing.

Poor confused horses. The organisers did their bit, but they can’t hold the horse’s hand in the ring.

Thank goodness it’s the end of it, not before time.
Out of 18, there were 8 clears, 6 with one fence down, 2 with two fences and two eliminations. Good results. Shame for the two that were eliminated, at least one of those horses should have been swopped out I think. Farewell modern pentathlon. Paris did you well, but time to go.

clinkerbuilt

Visit site
The first section of the men's pre-final MP showjumping had quite a good commentator who seemed to know what she was talking about with horses, and was very good at pointing out the honesty of the horses in context of the riders' errors. Really wonderful horses but absolutely time for it to go.
yes I liked her. eta, I think she did the women's final too.

clinkerbuilt

Visit site
Yes just seen the women's final and she did the commentary for that. The other guys were like 'oh no look what the horse did' and I'm thinking well so would you with someone messing with your balance!
yeah they drove me round the bend, I had to resort to the "atmos" soundtrack when they were on duty...

Bobthecob15

Visit site
I’m sad too but looking forward to the Paralympics now!

Can we talk about the closing ceremony?!😴 Only good bits were Andrew Cotter’s hilarious dry commentary and the 5 minutes of LA handover 😂 The rest was a total bore fest! I’d be raging if I paid money to watch that in person

myheartinahoofbeat

Visit site
I’m sad too but looking forward to the Paralympics now!

Can we talk about the closing ceremony?!😴 Only good bits were Andrew Cotter’s hilarious dry commentary and the 5 minutes of LA handover 😂 The rest was a total bore fest! I’d be raging if I paid money to watch that in person
Yes, Andrew Cotter is fast becoming a bit of a legend

oldie48

Visit site
I am so sad it’s over - it’s always a fabulous 2 weeks and Versailles was just incredible. The best event I have ever been to.
Were you there too? It was just a wonderful venue, I loved it and as long as I went to the loo and filled up my water bottle when a French competitor was on, I didn't really have to queue for anything!

Apercrumbie

Visit site
My jaw dropped when seeing the pictures of Versailles on screen. I've been to Versailles as a tourist, but you see it up close when you visit so while it's clearly extraordinary, you don't truly get the scale of it unless you look at it from that view. Two visits needed for me now - 1 to a view from afar (preferably as close as possible to where the equestrian events were held) and 1 to the venue itself again. What a place.

I thought France did a fantastic job of hosting. Yes the opening ceremony was unusual and overly long in parts, but I found it to be truly memorable and I love that they tried to do something so different. The city looked incredible throughout and as predicted, once the games got going the atmosphere was brilliant.

Today I've heard someone talk about the break dancing which I didn't see. It sounded bizarre so I might see if there's any clips on catch up!

Squeak

Visit site
Another one who is sad it's all over. I love having it on and watching sports I follow and those I never normally watch. Looking forward to the paralympics coming up!

Bobthecob15

Visit site
My jaw dropped when seeing the pictures of Versailles on screen. I've been to Versailles as a tourist, but you see it up close when you visit so while it's clearly extraordinary, you don't truly get the scale of it unless you look at it from that view. Two visits needed for me now - 1 to a view from afar (preferably as close as possible to where the equestrian events were held) and 1 to the venue itself again. What a place.

I thought France did a fantastic job of hosting. Yes the opening ceremony was unusual and overly long in parts, but I found it to be truly memorable and I love that they tried to do something so different. The city looked incredible throughout and as predicted, once the games got going the atmosphere was brilliant.

Today I've heard someone talk about the break dancing which I didn't see. It sounded bizarre so I might see if there's any clips on catch up!
Yep we didn’t have time to visit Versailles properly, I want to go back so we can go inside and have a proper look round the grounds etc! There was so much walking to get to the stadium itself even from the shuttle bus…there was no way we could do the actual palace too!

It was a fabulous area of Paris, I’d highly recommend it for a little weekend break etc I also saw some stables so I think you can probably go for a ride etc there too which would be incredible!

Equi

Visit site
Will the paralympics be on discovery? I’ve never actually watched it and I would very much like to.