The thread of all Olympic Threads

BronsonNutter

Visit site
They do a fencing initial round and final round.
The initial round is today and then on sunday is the womens final
View attachment 144370

Final discipline is the combined run and laser shoot? At least it normally is, as they set off at intervals depending on numbers of points achieved in the other disciplines.

As someone who competed in modern pentathlon I’m sad to see the equestrian side go as that’s why many GB competitors got into it - through pony club tetrathlon etc. I was hoping they could have changed it to reward good riding more (style bonus marks, a dressage test?) as currently you can gain more points by focusing on swimming faster etc than riding well. But I do get the concerns. Hopefully Paris will have more suitable, forgiving and confident horses than in Beijing or Tokyo, where it was never fair to expose some of those horses to that kind of environment. Fingers crossed.

I’ve been lucky in that every modern pentathlon I’ve competed in I’ve drawn nice horses.

teapot

Visit site
Horses wise - they’d being provided by one of the many French military set ups I think I read somewhere.

Scheduling it seems a little odd as the app’s saying there are quarters and semis, but looks like order is:

Fencing
Show jumping
Swimming
Run and shoot

(With four of those in the same venue). Is the fencing at Versailles too for MP?

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
As someone who competed in modern pentathlon I’m sad to see the equestrian side go as that’s why many GB competitors got into it - through pony club tetrathlon etc
I did tetrathlon as well and when I did it you needed a decent pony/horse and to be fairly competent as it was a decent cross country course. It was the same course/level as the interbranch eventing. Then they saw if you were an adequate swimmer or runner and put a gun in your hand.

However in Pentathlon there seems to be too many people who have come at it from other discipline and fast tracked basic riding skills and even some of the medal winners looked very rough and ready.

So I understand why it has to go

martyfisch

Visit site
I think outlawing double bridles is sensible. Not because I think they are inherently crueler than a single bridle - I absolutely agree that damage can be inflicted either way, if a rider rides harshly - but because reducing the amount of bridle will make it easier to observe the condition of the horse’s mouth and to monitor bit pressure.
And introduce penalties for strapping the horses mouth shut!

Shooting Star

Visit site
Pentathlon SJ is currently live for any brave enough to watch.

Seems to be going ok, lots of very kind horses helping riders out. Some riders definitely much better than others but nothing dreadful that I’ve seen so far.

ihatework

Visit site
On the whole that wasn’t too horrific!

The French have supplied a very good set of genuine honest competent horses.

A handful of nice riders. A couple of those with an unlucky pole.

Some wobbly riders who got lucky with horses that got them out of trouble! It does amaze me that at Olympic level some of these athletes don’t just put a little more effort into improving their riding!

teapot

Visit site
On the whole that wasn’t too horrific!

The French have supplied a very good set of genuine honest competent horses.

A handful of nice riders. A couple of those with an unlucky pole.

Some wobbly riders who got lucky with horses that got them out of trouble! It does amaze me that at Olympic level some of these athletes don’t just put a little more effort into improving their riding!

Access to training will be part of the issue. Even in the UK, without your own horse, you’re limited to training at a very select few places with horses suitable to jump the height required.

asmp

Visit site
Overall it wasn’t bad. Not sure if it was better riders or better horses but apart from one rider who was pony club kicking with spurs on, it was OK to watch. I have a feeling the women were worse at the last Olympics?

Annagain

Visit site
Overall it wasn’t bad. Not sure if it was better riders or better horses but apart from one rider who was pony club kicking with spurs on, it was OK to watch. I have a feeling the women were worse at the last Olympics?
Generally the women tend to be better as more have started with riding and added the others whereas it's usually the other way round with the men. Nations with traditionally strong equestrian sport, like the UK, tend to produce better riders too as, again, they start with riding and add the others. Pony club tetrathlon is the training ground for most UK pentathletes whereas for other nations, it's a sport for those who aren't quite good enough for the pure disciplines so they add others - with riding usually the last one to be added.

I've always thought there should be a twice-yearly, out-of-competition riding assessment at which competitors get a grading. Depending on the grading you jump a certain height and only by jumping the top height can you get a full score, then there's a sliding scale of maximum points awarded for lower heights. Not only would this be better for horses who can dig riders and themselves out of a hole far more easily over 90cm or 1m than the full height, it would give the athletes far more incentive to train far more often and with quality trainers.

I haven't watched this morning but it does sound like the French organisers have done a far better job of finding the right sort of horses this time round. Thankfully, for all involved including (especially) the horses.