The vet has been again, we have made a decision

3Beasties

Visit site
Such a brave decision to make, you are doing the right thing for Elle, I'm sure she will be forever greatful :( :(

hackedoff

Visit site
soory to hear about this, glad youa re following vets advice. I was even more saddened to see what has happened to Ellie re the dog attack in the past.I hope that her last days are happy ones and you are to be congratulated on both seeking advice, making a difficult decision and coping very well with this all. As my boy is now 20 years old all I can say is that I hope I can be as mature and thoughtful about reaching a difficult decision as you have been.

CBFan

Visit site
I am so sorry.

I have to say, the most recent photos you put up of her (after being reported) reminded me of what my old girl looked like last year - couldn't get weight on her for love nor money. she had cancer.

At least you can let her go with the sun on her back rather than in the cold and wet of winter.

Big hugs xxx

MrsElle

Visit site
Thank you all for your kind words, I am crying again now!

The decision wasn't made lightly and the main problem wasn't Ellies weight. I was happy to try to get some weight on her before winter and reasses in a couple of months.

However, Ellie has been doing an awful lot of laying down during the last few days and one of her legs began trembling. The vet was of the opinion that her legs are starting to give up on her, hence the laying down. The trouble is, the more she laid down the more susceptable (sp) to pressure sores she was becoming and I am pretty sure that it would only be a matter of days before her skin broke down and became sore. So basically it was Hobsons Choice.

Ellie is being PTS this evening. My OH and I will be with her and we will let the boys come over to say their goodbyes too. I want to be there with her but then again I don't. However, I owe it to Ellie to be with her until the end.

I have been selfish in that I decided that once the decision had been made I had to get it over with as soon as possible - I couldn't cope with having her for another week or so knowing that 'the day' was drawing ever closer.

Thanks again everyone.

RIP my darling Ellie and thank you for all that you have given me x

JoJo_

Visit site
So sorry to hear this. Its a terrible decision to make but you have to way up the quality of life and do the right thing. Well done for getting her to such a good age. Hugs for you.

MyBoyChe

Visit site
Ive been following your posts and have just caught up with this. I am so sorry to hear your news but am absolutely sure you are doing the right thing by Ellie. I know you adore your animals and will not have made this decision lightly but have done so in the very best interests of your lovely mare. She looks such a sweetheart in her pictures, a very honest and loving horse who is truly lucky to have a thoughtful and caring owner who is prepared to put the needs of the horse before her own. I will be thinking of you this evening and hope Ellie passes as peacefully as possible. Hugs to you all x

sykokat

Visit site
I am so sorry to read this thread but take comfort in the knowing that you have loved and cared for her and she will go to sleep a happy contended horse. hugs and love to you all.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

happihorse

Visit site
Well done for making such a difficult decision. I know how difficult this is for you but at least you can be sure you are doing the very best for your baby.

Make sure that you make the very most of you last few days together, for both your sakes.

Take care.

diggerbez

Visit site
sorry to hear this but you are making the right decision- you can never let them go too soon but you can certainly leave it too long ((hugs))

Ranyhyn

Visit site
I have a huge knot in my chest for you, so sad but so poignant. Run free beautiful Ellie, where you're hale and hearty like your younger days.

You did the right thing MissElle and given your old friend the gift of peace xx

guisbrogal

community.webshots.com
My heart aches for you :( It is a year yesterday since I lost my Ellie and fortunately I did'nt have to make the choice that you have as she died in the field. However I hope that I would have been brave enough to put her before me as you have done.

I hope it all went ok. Take comfort in knowing for a fact that you have done the right thing by her.

Huge hugs
xxx

muddy boots

Visit site
Thinking of you, even though I don't know you. I dread the day the same decision comes.
My thoughts are with you. A brave decision.

Achinghips

Visit site
Thank you all for your kind words, I am crying again now!

The decision wasn't made lightly and the main problem wasn't Ellies weight. I was happy to try to get some weight on her before winter and reasses in a couple of months.

However, Ellie has been doing an awful lot of laying down during the last few days and one of her legs began trembling. The vet was of the opinion that her legs are starting to give up on her, hence the laying down. The trouble is, the more she laid down the more susceptable (sp) to pressure sores she was becoming and I am pretty sure that it would only be a matter of days before her skin broke down and became sore. So basically it was Hobsons Choice.

Ellie is being PTS this evening. My OH and I will be with her and we will let the boys come over to say their goodbyes too. I want to be there with her but then again I don't. However, I owe it to Ellie to be with her until the end.

I have been selfish in that I decided that once the decision had been made I had to get it over with as soon as possible - I couldn't cope with having her for another week or so knowing that 'the day' was drawing ever closer.

Thanks again everyone.

RIP my darling Ellie and thank you for all that you have given me x

oh, didn't realise she this far down the line. My thoughts are with you at this sad time.

JACQSZOO

Visit site
My thoughts are with you. I'm sure most of us have been at this stage at some point in our horse owning lives, it is truly heartbreaking. Take comfort from the fact that you did everything you could for your beautiful girl. x