They say never meet your childhood hero....

eggs

Visit site
Tim Stockdale used to teach my riding club and he was always patient and encouraging and pushed you further than you thought you could go without terrifying me.

Some years ago my friend and I went to a clinic with a big name dressage trainer and whilst I was waiting for my turn to ride I heard him making very disparaging comments about my friend who was riding at the time to the person who had organised the clinic.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
I'm gay so no and am not easily offended so couldn't care less with tbh. Most gay people will use what others think of as offensive words to describe each other same as people of colour. 95% of people on here are way to sensitive
It may well be acceptable for people to describe themselves and any protected characteristics they have, in any way they choose, however it is hardly appropriate to use discriminatory words for disability in the manner described.

twobearsarthur

Visit site
I'm gay so no and am not easily offended so couldn't care less with tbh. Most gay people will use what others think of as offensive words to describe each other same as people of colour. 95% of people on here are way to sensitive

You’re 100% correct. Marginalised groups often take ownership of certain derogatory terms. However that same term used by someone not within that marginalised group is unacceptable. Like the example you use, a white person should not use the N word however some parts of the black community have taken ownership of the word. Although there are also black academics that think it shouldn’t be used in any context. The original term discussed has and is used to belittle and dehumanise people with disabilities and that for me is totally unacceptable. I have worked as a psychiatric nurse for 25 years. Trust me I can’t be offended anymore. I just personally choose not to use hurtful words to other people.

Winters100

Visit site
Interesting that this person has such a poor command of the English language.

"Many of you won't agree but the word used is in my daily vocabulary"

Really? I don't think that any of us are in a position to agree or disagree with the statement that this person uses a certain word on a daily basis.

Whether we believe that this is a correct or polite word to use is another matter, clearly most of us do not. I suppose however that someone with a poor grasp of the language, or a very low level of education, might perhaps use inappropriate words inadvertently.

HashRouge

Visit site
Interesting that this person has such a poor command of the English language.

"Many of you won't agree but the word used is in my daily vocabulary"

Really? I don't think that any of us are in a position to agree or disagree with the statement that this person uses a certain word on a daily basis.

Whether we believe that this is a correct or polite word to use is another matter, clearly most of us do not. I suppose however that someone with a poor grasp of the language, or a very low level of education, might perhaps use inappropriate words inadvertently.
*mic drop*

You guys are killing me this evening, what great comments!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
[Inappropriate quoted content removed]

Have you been asleep since the turn of the century? It isn't news these days that anyone is bi or any other kind of sexual.

He has great taste, Birdlip Hill is a beautiful spot, I used to stop there to eat my lunch.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
The same Dun Roamin who in a previous incarnation railed bitterly about being discriminated against for being 'obviously gay' (her words), including being chased out of a shop?

Now she can't see the problem perceived in freely using a term long dropped from everyday use as it is now seen highly derogatory to another group?

Yeah right :rolleyes:.

Annagain

Visit site
Meanwhile back at the thread....

We've had a few big names teach and/or do demos at our riding club. They were all very lovely but Harry Meade was the best of the lot. Taught an excellent clinic all day - similar exercises for all but tailored for the group's ability - then did an evening clinic which was entertaining and informative. After such a long day you could forgive him for wanting to get home but he hung around to talk to kids and sign autographs and was very grateful when I took him a coffee and a burger. I was helping with catering for the night, I'm not just some random person giving strangers food :p.

The others we've had were Matt Ryan - a very nice man and lots of people really like him but on personal level his style of teaching didn't suit Monty and me (same for Bill Levett); Nick Gauntlett, who was really good and and has taught several camps for us. I didn't see Geoff Billington teach but his demo was really good fun. He's a really naturally funny guy. William Fox Pitt gave a good demo and was very pleasant too but didn't teach for us.

jnb

Visit site
I have had a lesson from Jeanette Brakewell and - despite being waaay below her level (I took a space as someone dropped out last minute) she spotted I didn't have even weight in my stirrups within 2 minutes which my instructor hadn't noticed in 3 years of teaching me! She was lovely and so helpful plus catered for my lack of fitness and numptyism.
I'm pretty shocked about the original subject of this thread, she always seems so down to earth. :(

Uliy

Visit site
Oh I’m so sad to read this, but also glad - as a nervous jumper I’d always imagined someone like her would be lovely. I’m happy to have realised that she wouldn’t be appropriate for me, before paying for the privilege of finding out!

Glad to hear GB is good. I’ve always hoped to have a lesson with him one day!

[59668]

Visit site
I am glad to have so much support.....I was so shocked and saddened.
The second part of the clinic was yesterday, and I didn't go to watch after the first day....but I hear she was the polar opposite of the day before, didn't use any offensive language and was a lot more helpful. So it seems that some of the remarks about her having very different days is perhaps accurate! Although honestly if I had been riding on the first day I wouldn't even have gone back for the second....
I am still going to email the venue and get in contact with her/her PA or whoever and let them know what I thought.

Fransurrey

Visit site
Have you been asleep since the turn of the century? It isn't news these days that anyone is bi or any other kind of sexual.

He has great taste, Birdlip Hill is a beautiful spot, I used to stop there to eat my lunch.

Any sightings of Mark Todd? "'Scuse me. I know you're ...um...busy...but could I have a selfie and autograph?"

SM, I'd add it also isn't news to have sex outdoors. Not everyone's cup of tea, sure, but I think you need more activity in your life.

foxy1

Visit site
I believe 3 people (at least) did not go back for day 2....

I am glad to have so much support.....I was so shocked and saddened.
The second part of the clinic was yesterday, and I didn't go to watch after the first day....but I hear she was the polar opposite of the day before, didn't use any offensive language and was a lot more helpful. So it seems that some of the remarks about her having very different days is perhaps accurate! Although honestly if I had been riding on the first day I wouldn't even have gone back for the second....
I am still going to email the venue and get in contact with her/her PA or whoever and let them know what I thought.

AandK

Visit site
Sad to read this, I have only ever heard good things from people who have gone to LG clinics and although I have not been to one myself, LG came across as a lovely person when I came across her twice years ago (once after a rare clear SJ out eventing, she said something very encouraging as we came out of the ring).

OP, definitely worth writing a letter I think.