Things you enjoy about winter......

horsefeed

Visit site
we are now on that depressing slog until spring! But there must be some things you enjoy about winter, what are they?

I'll start......

* No midges/horse flies
* Sweet Itch pony have a dull main and tail at last!!

SEL

Visit site
My mare can't go on rich grass so is high maintenance once spring hits. In winter she gets 10 acres to mooch around happily. She likes being out & I like seeing her out :)

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I'd actually enjoy winter all round if I had better grazing! I like having them in and a proper routine.
I love the fact there are no flies
I love that the playful two are covered in rugs rather than bite marks and scuffs!
I love being able to control their weight properly
I don't really like hot weather so am not a natural summer person but I find the mud very trying!!!

HandBR

Visit site
One thing and one thing only - no horseflies! (I get horrendous reaction to bites and always get bitten). But I think I'd rather run the horsefly gauntlet than have to cope with endless mucking out, icy yards, frozen taps and don't get me started on the mud!:(

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
*stares blankly at you*

*joins group of staring people*

Um... yeah. I'll go with no horseflies.

I quite like listening to the rain at night, knowing the horses are tucked up with their haynets. But then it's back to earth with a bump, thinking about how the fields will be sodden, AGAIN.

*continues staring*

chaps89

Visit site
It's cheaper and less stressful for me. Madam is a very good doer so gets her grazing restricted but instead gets lots of soaked hay and straw chaff in summer. In winter she's out on rough grazing and can have unlocked hay as and when needed. As she gets it with the other horses and isn't using more it's included in my livery.

Janovich

Visit site
The crisp fresh mornings and the winter sunshine.

The fact that i too can slacken off a bit on the restrictions of summer (grass wise) as i have an EMS on my hands.

The large winter meadow that he goes in with his pals and gets to play out in a few acres.

No flies...definitely.

No suncream to have to pop on his pink nose!

The cosy feeling I GET when i see and hear him munching away on his net of an evening, content... especially when it's hammering down with rain outside.

Amye

Visit site
The clean patch beneath the rug? Ha!

This!!

I have a grey so one good point (there aren't many) to winter is that at least he is clean under the rug! Full clip too so he is soooo much easier to keep clean (just don't look at the legs!! :eek:)

I am also quite partial to a lovely frosty morning with the sun rising behind the field - is quite beautiful...

Flies for sure.
If i'm pushing for good points.. Less walkers out on hacks?

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
I am joining the blank stare group!
But no flies is good, and I look forward to the hunting season, but summer all year round would make it ever better!

wingedhorse

Visit site
No flies

I don’t like oppressive heat

Shiny clipped smart horses

The ground softens, aiding faster hacking

Crisp sunny days for hacking

School rides better (can get a bit deep if dry in summer)

My horses are more forwards (can be good or bad!!)

Snuggy hoods, turnouts, tail wraps, pig oiling knee downwards combat most of the mud

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
No flies, no hot humid days, not having to move the electric fence every five minutes.....could do with more daylight though.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I love hacking in the dark, you see all sorts :) owls especially, I think my pony would get grumpy if I got him up at a suitable hour in winter
hunting
no rock hard ground
no rushing to get him back down the field before dark as he's stopping in.
pony always goes better in winter.

currently ponyless and flicking between not missing it on an afternoon like today, and missing it loads regardless!

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
Cooler temperatures and no flies!!!

The lack of daylight hours doesn't affect me much as I am able to ride during the day in-between jobs. I am, however, not a fan of mud, I slipped the other day and landed on my arse!

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Less poo picking!!

Seeing him cosy in his stable with his Haynet and rugs as it tips down outside

Softer ground for hacking so more opportunities to gallop

chancing

Visit site
HUNTING!!!!! best part of the winter, no horse flies is a massive bonus I dont like the endless rain and bad weather but we are blessed that we have *touches wood alot* almost no mud at our yard, are still turning out from 7-3 unless like today weather awful so they are in, massive stables help

However summer has its bad points too, so im very 50/50!! I like both!

C1airey

Visit site
No flies.

Not breaking into a sweat just tacking up.

Not having to slather suncream on every exposed inch of skin and then having slightly greasy hands for the whole ride, despite washing them.

Not cleaning suncream off my reins, despite washing my hands and wearing gloves..

Not having sunburn despite slapping suncream on so thick I look paler than a corpse.

Not smelling of a billion different noxious fly sprays, all of which seem to be ineffective.

Turnout rugs are harder-wearing than fly-rugs.

Soft ground.

Being the last person on the yard once everyone has been brought in and hearing nothing but the sound of c.20 horses munching their hay.