this forum has become a joke

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
It's not just H&H, everywhere on the 'net has become a mine-field of flamers, trolls, grammar nazis and whatever other jumped up so and so is out there.
I'e been online since around 1992, and I've stopped using the 'net these days I'm so sick of the BS. I'm only using my own site, email and checking H&H news these days

:mad:

It is true. HHO is no different from any other forum. The same **** goes on across the net. I do love this site though, in the main, because the majority of people are friendly and helpful. It is a fountain of knowledge. I find the threads that become nasty tend to be those where emotive subjects are being discussed.

DragonSlayer

Visit site
Something that really grates me is the fact that a while ago I met some HHO members face to face at an event. I introduced another fellow HHO member and said who they were and also their HHO name...several wouldn't disclose their HHO name...speaks volumes for this thread. People are happy to hide behind their computer screen and rant but very few have to guts to stand by what they say face to face...sign of the times I think with social media :(

We are going to be meetin up soon I believe, Lincs area.....I'll be tellin people who I am on here, no bother at all. Nowt to hide me....

:D

Also going to be meeting up soon with someone who lives very close, looking forward to that.

:D

DragonSlayer

Visit site
I dont think your stupid or ever said only experts in here :( I just think its sad how quite alot of people dont Ask for advice anymore because they dont want to be patronised or be the latest post that blew out of control.

ETA:- just read another post and think your refering to that and not me, sorry!

I'm stupid AND and expert..does that count?? :D

toots

Visit site
I have miniature horses - that's why i don't post - most people on here don't see the point of them !!!!!!!!!

Rose Folly

Visit site
One or two people have got at me over things, but overall in the year I've been posting others have been really kind and so helpful. I asked a question very late one night - was really depressed about my horse - and by midnight had five or six wise suggestions and encouraging messages of support.

Only this week muff747 PMd me over a laminitis issue. It really is a lovely feeling that someone cares.

As for the rest, I get my glass of wine and settle in for a good browse of the rows. It's better thn the theatre - and cheaper!

devonlass

Visit site
I don't post a lot on here,mainly lurk and stalk a certain other member (don't worry she's a friend in RL,I'm not just creepy lol),but I would agree that from what I've seen over the years it's not the most welcoming or friendly online community.

Too many people that know everything and feel the need to share their 'wisdom' with the rest of us mere mortals.

Then there are the 'direct' and 'say it as it is' brigade,such a relief to know they're not just rude and thoughtless;)

Luckily there are also many very knowledgable and genuine members on here that make lot's of interesting and informative posts,(and even manage to be tactful and polite whilst doing so!),hopefully they will be the ones that people listen to and remember.

The horse world in general I suppose is a not very one at times,maybe it stands to reason that the online horse world won't be either?? I am pretty sure though that many of the people who behave so poorly on here would not be quite so 'brave' in RL;)

*wanders off back to lurkerdom,which is probably just as well*:p

SusannaF

susannaforrest.wordpress.com
Sometimes it's a little bit too inspired by Fugly Horse of the Day, methinks. (you see her signature points - ie kids near horses - triggering some of the most rapid responses) It's one thing to highlight safety and welfare issues, and another to do it in kneejerk, unpleasant terms.
At least try to start off politely :D (very few of us aren't guilty here)

Louby

Visit site
Ive been on here a few years too. Maybe back then I was one of the clique :confused: as I remember posting on here and getting replies, now I seem to 'kill' threads :(
I do still post but not as often as I used to. I used to love coming on here to catch up with my cyber friends. Most of the 'oldies' seemed to have gone now.
Its still informative and I still enjoy lurking but I do think twice about posting now, not so much for someone jumping on me, more that I just get ignored :)
Saying that, I have had some brilliant replies, laughs and help over the years.

Louby

Visit site
I know where you are coming from louby, from another oldie who mow kills threads :(.

I think there is the world of difference between have an opinion and being damn right rude and aggressive

Woo Hoo, Ive not killed it :D Thanks for replying Daisydo :D:D

rockysmum

Visit site
This thread is really making me laugh, especially that it used to be nicer.

I can remember a couple of years ago when I used other forums, this one was described as "the dark side". Not a place for fluffy bunnies or the faint hearted.

Personally I think its great, yes people can get offensive but that applies to anywhere.

Syrah

Visit site
When I started posting back in 07, there were very similar threads to this at times.

Apparently back then it wasn't what it used to be, now it isn't what it used to be a few years ago and no doubt in a couple of years it won't be what it is today.

DougalJ

Visit site
I agree with the original posted comment - I have had a couple of very judgmental posts many months ago with an acid tone to the replies. I left the forum for quite a while and have come back as I had a problem that I wanted to air and share on here....which is this forum is about.

Syrah

Visit site
I'm going to ask a genuine question as I am curious. Why do those who think this is such a bad place post? or even read it?

I stopped posting for a while. The forum wasn't a place I wanted to be because of one particular poster so I stopped posting and reading. Surely if something is making you unhappy, you stop doing it if at all possible and not reading or posting on a forum is pretty easy.

Marydoll

Visit site
I'm going to ask a genuine question as I am curious. Why do those who think this is such a bad place post? or even read it?

I stopped posting for a while. The forum wasn't a place I wanted to be because of one particular poster so I stopped posting and reading. Surely if something is making you unhappy, you stop doing it if at all possible and not reading or posting on a forum is pretty easy.

Why did you let 1 poster stop you from coming on the forum ?
I can understand if someone bugs your happiness, but just block them if theyre out of order or tell them to get of your case.

babymare

Visit site
i have to agree - where years before i would post and wait for good - some time critical but in positive way - now i hesitate - my daughter posted 1 post and got slaughter by some and wont come on here now :( good positive critism is great but for some it gets a tad nasty but there are also so so many good kind people - thank you to all regarding the big lad - the hprse world can be so fickle :)

Syrah

Visit site
Why did you let 1 poster stop you from coming on the forum ?
I can understand if someone bugs your happiness, but just block them if theyre out of order or tell them to get of your case.

They didn't stop me, I decided not to post. It was the best way for them to get bored if I wasn't there posting and I wasn't enjoying the forum so I stopped.

pixiebee

Visit site
you are refering to my post about children doing 5 jumping classes, the ponies in question were being ridden non stop from 10 am to 2 pm, jumping non stop in the clear round and warm up plus 5 classes with 2 rounds each, that is just ridiculous, the parents were nowhere to be seen whilst these kids were whipping these ponies. so yes i will rant about that. Dont bitch about other posts unless you get the facts straight, i never mentioned only 2 classes!!

ELFSBELLS

Visit site
I don't understand why you would make a post like this, if you don't like the forum, don't Look!, simple, if it is about somebody else's post then why not just make you're comments known there, we all have a right to post our opinions, including the original poster of this but i do think sometimes these sort of posts are done just to stir more trouble.

Visit site
I agree with the OP, partly. However, as others have said everyone is entitled to their own opinion and not everybody is going to agree with each other all the time. You just have to take what others say with a 'pinch of salt'. Sometimes it's difficult to interpret the tone of what someone has written so things can come across as being quite cold/sarcastic sometimes when the poster might not mean it in this way at all!

I do disagree with you that the forum has become 'a joke' as we have had a lot of serious topics on here lately and obviously a lot of posters have felt strongly about them. There is still a lot of experienced and professional people on here who are always more than happy to give advice. You just need to know how to pick out the useful replies!

Dancing Queen

Visit site
OP - I agree that the forum can be unpleasant at times. The squabbling and bitchiness is uncalled for. Some individuals cannot accept that others may have a differing opinion and therefore they are shot down in flames.

There are some people that think they are correct in everything and god forbid you should disagree!!

There are some posters who I just cant be arsed replying to and treat the nasty comments with the contempt they deserve.

however on the plus side - there are some lovely people on here who are genuine and kind.

Echo Bravo

Visit site
Well we are all human as they say and as different as they come thank god. Yes there is good and bad and that is how it should be, God help us if everyone agreed, the welfare of horse and ride would go downhill rapidly. So Fattypig you said well, and Little critter and Fairynuff just post and I'll jump on you.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D cause you know you don't want to frizzle out a post.:D:D:D:D

Tnavas

Visit site
Well I enjoy coming on this forum. The flow of good, bad, grumpy, bitchy posts come and go no different than life in general. It is hard to convey emotions when you only have words to describe your thoughts - so they sometimes get misunderstood. There are times when the 'Troll' word gets banded about without thought - but then there are the sensible people who take the time to read the post properly before posting.

I've been a member for 6 years and have come across the odd stroppy post - if you don't like it then move on to another post. If you can't add anything positively constructive then don't post.

The majority of posts are great and make interesting reading. I don't respond to everypost but to the ones that interest me and I hope that in general my posts are helpful, supportive and read in the manner they are written.

I LIKE THIS FORUM!!

Dobiegirl

Visit site
I dont agree with this sentiment, of course there are the odd random post and poster.There is a lot that is good such as the fight to save the old 28yr old mare from York sales and other similar threads showing there is more good on here than bad.