This is going to be so hard. How much for Joe?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I have to be realistic. I can't pay £8k a year to keep Joe in livery with Ludo. I can't manage 2 when they aren't outside the door. A loan is not going to work for many reasons. Please, please, don't try to suggest ways I can keep him, I've thought through them all and it's not right for him, or me.

So.

What's he worth?

A mongrel with no breeding, clearly partly heavy, going to end up about 15.2 but with a huge barrel, depth through the girth, short clean legs at each corner, straight, who will, I'm sure, carry 12 -13st all day hunting when he's mature. ETA [when mature, I would expect that] Dad could hunt him, he'll eat a 20 mile pleasure ride with Mum, and do a BE 90 with the teenager. Sweet, kind, gentle lovely character. BUT only 4, barely broken, though I might be able to do more with him by the time I lose my land.

This is a VERY sad decision, rubbing salt in the wound of moving from a home that has been my dream for over 30 years. Please stay away from the thread if you can't be kind.

Last edited:

bonny

Visit site
I have to be realistic. I can't pay £8k a year to keep Joe in livery with Ludo. I can't manage 2 when they aren't outside the door. A loan is not going to work for many reasons. Please, please, don't try to suggest ways I can keep him, I've thought through them all and it's not right for him, or me.

So.

What's he worth?

A mongrel with no breeding, clearly partly heavy, going to end up about 15.2 but with a huge barrel, depth through the girth, short clean legs at each corner, who will, I'm sure, carry 12 -13st all day hunting when he's mature. Dad could hunt him, he'll eat a 20 mile pleasure ride with Mum, and do a BE 90 with the teenager. Sweet, kind, gentle lovely character. BUT only 4, barely broken, though I might be able to do more with him by the time I lose my land.

This is a VERY sad decision, rubbing salt in the wound of moving from a home that has been my dream for over 30 years. Please stay away from the thread if you can't be kind.
I imagine you will have an orderly queue for him, no idea about price because the market is so crazy but he wouldn’t be cheap.

ycbm

Visit site
I imagine you will have an orderly queue for him, no idea about price because the market is so crazy but he wouldn’t be cheap.

Thank you Bonny. I don't need the money, the house is going to release an insane amount of money, I am so lucky.

Honestly, if I could give him to someone who deserves him, I would but I have no idea how to find that person.

TGM

Visit site
A photo would help? Particularly photos under saddle. How much has he actually done? Is he hacking out? Will he do a short hack alone? Seen traffic? Walk, trot, canter established and performed in a sane manner?

ycbm

Visit site
A photo would help? Particularly photos under saddle. How much has he actually done? Is he hacking out? Will he do a short hack alone? Seen traffic? Walk, trot, canter established and performed in a sane manner?

He has been ridden a handful of times on an arena. Nothing is "established" but his willingness is, in my experience, exceptional.

Photos on 3/4 year old thread, don't want to this into an advert and get it pulled.

bonny

Visit site
He has been ridden a handful of times on an arena. Nothing is "established" but his willingness is, in my experience,

Photos on 3/4 year old thread, don't want to this into an advert and get it pulled.
His driving experience will come into things though, he will be good on the roads and a lot more savvy about the world than a lot of 4 year olds.

Gallop_Away

Visit site
Depending on how much you did with him I would say a minimum of 7k without hesitation but potentially 9-10k to the right buyer and with a good solid start to his ridden education.
If he is as good an all-rounder as you say he will be snapped up.
It sounds like a decision you have not taken lightly and for what it is worth I am sorry and hope you are OK.

ycbm

Visit site
His driving experience will come into things though, he will be good on the roads and a lot more savvy about the world than a lot of 4 year olds.

Only 7 weeks driving in total, and he can be normally 4 year old spooky at new things.

Zuzan

Visit site
I'm guessing for a recently backed youngster with that potential 6-8K ? Sorry you are facing this. Hold on to the memories of bringing him to this point.

ycbm

Visit site
Depending on how much you did with him I would say a minimum of 7k without hesitation but potentially 9-10k to the right buyer and with a good solid start to his ridden education.
If he is as good an all-rounder as you say he will be snapped up.
It sounds like a decision you have not taken lightly and for what it is worth I am sorry and hope you are OK.

Thank you. I'm crying about it but I'm OK. I know how lucky I am, I just need to find him the right home before we leave here.

mini_b

Visit site
I am so sorry ? I really really like Joe. I 100% understand all your reasonings with the downsize etc. that’s just how it is, lovely you’ll have the spare £££ and time to do more with them being on full. You’ll enjoy Ludo.

are you in a position to do a bit “more” with him before he does go? I’m looking to downsize for my next horse, if joe fell in my lap… ?

stick some pics up, not seen him for a while!!

ycbm

Visit site
I'm guessing for a recently backed youngster with that potential 6-8K ? Sorry you are facing this. Hold on to the memories of bringing him to this point.

I can't quite believe these valuations. I don't need, or want, that kind of money for him, he cost me less than £1200 less than a year ago.

Goldenstar

Visit site
It’s a sensible but difficult thing to do .
Barely broken and driven when younger so presumably pulled a carriage at three .
I would say between five and eight k .
Five would good value and eight would be punchy for a four year whose not quite established unless he’s show quality and a smart colour .

ycbm

Visit site
are you in a position to do a bit “more” with him before he does go? I’m looking to downsize for my next horse, if joe fell in my lap…

That's going to be very weather dependant and house buyer dependant. If we don't sell until July and the weather settles next week, yes, if not, maybe no.

ycbm

Visit site
It’s a sensible but difficult thing to do .
Barely broken and driven when younger so presumably pulled a carriage at three .
I would say between five and eight k .
Five would good value and eight would be punchy for a four year whose not quite established unless he’s show quality and a smart colour .

He's a very smart bay with no white GS but he has an old fashioned head (I love it). He's clean limbed and he looks like a small middleweight (might go heavyweight) hunter to me, but I know nothing about showing.

TGM

Visit site
He has been ridden a handful of times on an arena. Nothing is "established" but his willingness is, in my experience, exceptional.

Difficult to give a price then. People will pay more for an appealing looking horse (all other factors being the same), especially when young and unproven. They will also want an idea of why you think he will be great at pleasure rides and eventing, when he has only been ridden in an arena a handful of times.

However, if you just want a good home for him, and are not worried about what price you get for him, it is rather different. I hope you find him a lovely home.

Fools Motto

Visit site
I've always admired Joe, and totally understood your complete admiration of him when you got him home. He sounded so like my Freddie, who I had to sell (project to bring on). It hurts even now. One that got away I suppose. But, his new owner is lovely and is in contact. My only advice is that use your gut instinct, There are lovely people out there and it will work out the best it can given the circumstances.
Take care of yourself. x

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
No idea on price these days, the market continues to be very changeable I think. But just wanted to post to say that I'm sorry you are having to sell him, and really hope you find the home you are after for him x

Fwiw it sounds like you are totally doing the right thing for you though - you can't only half commit to a big lifestyle change...once you've taken a bite you kind of have to keep chewing, so if you have to make the bite smaller and more manageable then that's just what you have to do.

ycbm

Visit site
You will need to present for sale at a stage where he is ready to be expected to walk trot and canter with a stranger without it being a big ask .

I can't guarantee to do that, it will depend on how quickly we get offers on the house. My fallback is a good local "backing" dealer who several friends have bought from.

And though you are right if I want top price, I don't, he owes me absolutely zero. He's been real fun and a great companion horse, which was all I wanted of him.

Last edited:

Ali27

Visit site
Aww he sounds lovely and I’m sorry that you are in this sad situation ?
The horse market is crazy at the minute! So I think you could name your price!
I’m saving up for my next horse but will be looking for a youngster as no way can I afford 10k plus on a horse! I would rather have something young and green though as it would be my forever horse!
My mare is now 19 (had her since she was 6) and I’m conscious of her age and not overdoing it jumping etc although she is still as crazy as ever? I also have a little companion pony who can’t be ridden who will be with me forever too! Luckily we’ve just bought a 4.64 acre field and put stables up and have soooo much grass so plenty of room to slot in another☺️

Gallop_Away

Visit site
I can't quite believe these valuations. I don't need, or want, that kind of money for him, he cost me less than £1200 less than a year ago.

The market as boomed and to be fair its about time good quality horses were recognised in their value. I paid £500 for my Welsh Mountain Pony and he is truly one in a million. I've been offered to sell him more times than I can remember. Most recently offered 5k for him after a particularly exciting days hunting. I would not part with him for the world but I'm happy to see his true value is being recognised.
I'm sorry for what you are facing but I'm sure you will find your lad an amazing home. Sending hugs

DressageCob

Visit site
He sounds perfect. I remember all your posts on the weekend plans thread I think it was, or the backing 3/4 year olds, leaning over, getting on etc. And his tiny mouth on his big head. I was very jealous when you posted the "Tell me not to" thread ? I wish I had the eye for complete unknown entities; when you posted him in the 3/4 year old thread and he'd matured and got that beautiful rich bay coat I was shocked.

My little cob that I lost in May had a similar background (driving as fast as he could with travellers, although he didn't make it onto DD, he was dumped) and he was the most fabulous horse. Such a sweetheart.

The market is crazy at the moment but it sounds like that's less of an interest. You need to charge enough to scare away the idiots. And enough that I'm put off because I'd be there like a flash ?