This is going to be so hard. How much for Joe?

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I can't guarantee to do that, it will depend on how quickly we get offers on the house. My fallback is a good local "backing" dealer who several friends have bought from.

And though you are right if I want top price, I don't, he owes me absolutely zero. He's been real fun and a great companion horse, which was all I wanted of him.

I was going to suggest sending him away for some education, and then advertise him.

DizzyDoughnut

Visit site
I'm so sorry to read this. I think Joe is amazing and if I didn't have my hands full with my youngster and an oldie and I had space I would be elbowing my way to the front of the queue for him. Sorry I have no idea how much he's worth, the most I've ever paid for a horse is £1500 but I suspect he's worth much more that. Sending hugs x

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
None of us can. But getting some more education under his belt will set him up for a better chance of success.

Honestly, I have too much going on in my life right now to send Joe away to get him started and arrange a companion for Ludo while he's gone.

It's not going to happen, sorry.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Can you send me some photos and more info

I will PM you but I've only got one good photo and he's in winter woollies now. I don't expect him to be available until the beginning of April at the earliest, we'll be lucky if a house sale goes through that quickly.

SO1

Visit site
Maybe local RDA group. The horses are normally looked after well. Would he have the temperament to be RDA dressage horse in time.

I would give this little man away to the right person, who had had misfortune in their lives and needs something to go right for once. If you know anyone, let me know.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Honestly, I have too much going on in my life right now to send Joe away to get him started and arrange a companion for Ludo while he's gone.

It's not going to happen, sorry.

Ah, fair enough. If it’s not an imminent sale you have time to do the work yourself.

Ali27

Visit site
If I sell, I can't guarantee a forever home whatever happens, sadly.
I think there quite a few people out there who could guarantee a forever home! Mine are with me for life despite any quirks/ not being able to be ridden etc. Haha, I made sure that if anything happens to me that ponies are looked after etc☺️
A few of my friends are just like me with theirs too
It’s a shame that I’ve only just started putting cash away for new horse otherwise I would have been interested.
Definitely don’t give him away and do your research with potential buyers as you will be able to work out whether they still have their old ponies/ horses etc! Someone with their own land is potentially more likely to be a forever home. Although I had my old mare on livery for four years as a happy field ornament before she was pts.

Roxylola

Visit site
As someone who's recently been fortunate enough to acquire a horse in similar circumstances- home not quite a fit but from someone more interested in doing right by the horse than making money, things like this do work out. I feel like I'm living a pullein-thomson book in real life at the moment although I'm pretty sure none of the book characters really had to worry about livery bills somehow ?

pistolpete

Visit site
Well maybe if you started a thread called ‘I’d love a four year old baby all rounder/ hunter and for the right horse this is what I could offer him/her.’Maybe someone close to you could have him and you could keep contact? I know the perfect home but she lost her Irish Draught cross mare last year and she’s still not ready. I’m not experienced enough for a young one but when I start looking properly I want something that needs a great home rather than something with a long list of attributes and a price tag to match. All my horses get a home for life. I’m a better or worse person! See lame highland in he field up the road!

twiggy2

Visit site
I will PM you but I've only got one good photo and he's in winter woollies now. I don't expect him to be available until the beginning of April at the earliest, we'll be lucky if a house sale goes through that quickly.
Honestly not fussed about winter woolies, I need permission from the estate too but its a question that will be asked and I am not in a hurry and if I can't keep a couple here I won't have any as I won't get to see them for 6 to 8 weeks over lambing unless they are on the estate.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I would give this little man away to the right person, who had had misfortune in their lives and needs something to go right for once. If you know anyone, let me know.
That’s so lovely of you. I’ve had nothing but awful, like really awful luck (nb I’m not trying to get Joe for free! Im not in the position for another) there are times I just want to Jack it all in. Your potential offer could make someone’s life, not day but life.

SEL

Visit site
I am sorry - that's a tough call. There are people out there who will give a horse a home for life. I took on the pony after her owner lost her husband and she'll stay with me. Keep us posted xx

Lucky Snowball

Visit site
I'm so sorry to hear you're in this position. I think he sounds worth a lot of money. Totally understand that you're not after the 'highest bid' but you don't want him to go to someone who loves him but doesn't have the money to really support him eg regular dentist, physio, saddle checks etc. Also maybe favour a home with their own land and company. Livery yards can be a bit of a free for all in my experience.
Once you find the right home with caring owners it will be easier to let him move homes.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
FWIW, I think you are doing the right thing. Two at livery is unlikely to be as much fun as 2 at home.

I hope he finds a fabulous home!

As for cost, I wouldn't undervalue him too much. I paid a fair wedge for my new one, and that doesn't make me less deserving/loving/permanent as someone who didn't.

Sam_J

Visit site
It's a real shame that you're having to make this decision. And it's an even bigger shame that my circumstances don't allow me to have him, because you know if things were different I'd be first in the queue! I do think it's the right choice and I hope you're doing okay xx

HashRouge

Visit site
FWIW, I think you are doing the right thing. Two at livery is unlikely to be as much fun as 2 at home.

I hope he finds a fabulous home!

As for cost, I wouldn't undervalue him too much. I paid a fair wedge for my new one, and that doesn't make me less deserving/loving/permanent as someone who didn't.
This, 100%.

I think you are making the right decision, even though it will be so hard to say goodbye to Joe. But he's a lovely young horse and he will find a great home, and I think you will be able to make the most of your fabulous livery facilities much more with just one.

I don't know about price, but you'll make a nice profit on him I'd think.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
You need him as a companion for Ludo for now.

Is the plan to move the pair of them to Somerford and then sell Joe from there? Whilst you understandably don't want to keep two at livery long term, a few weeks work there with all those facilities on tap would set him up very nicely for his next owner :).

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
That's a shame, he looks like a nice little chap. I was also going to suggest a sales livery but I see that's not an option. Doesn't seem like you'll have much trouble finding a great home for him :)

nagblagger

Visit site
Thinking of you, ycbm, having to make this difficult decision. From what you have described, my assessment of Joe is that he is 'priceless' !
The right home is the priority, it's out there and you will be able to choose it for him.

Lexi_

Visit site
You need him as a companion for Ludo for now.

Is the plan to move the pair of them to Somerford and then sell Joe from there? Whilst you understandably don't want to keep two at livery long term, a few weeks work there with all those facilities on tap would set him up very nicely for his next owner :).

^ this seems super sensible, both in terms of Joe’s development before selling, and for taking the pressure off you while the house and horse moves are taking place.