This is going to be so hard. How much for Joe?

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I'm so sorry you're having to part with him. I'm sure you'll find him a lovely home, he's a smart boy. I've no idea on value though, sorry.

rara007

Visit site
I guess it depends how hassle free and quick you want to sell a little too. I’m not a horse sales person and they’re my hobby so I usually end up selling on the cheaper end- or even gifting… but once I’ve decided to sell I like it done and dusted quickly before I change my mind! Pretty much everything I’ve sold in the last 15 years I’ve kept in contact with and I know I chose the right homes, I love following their progress :)

Baywonder

Visit site
Oh I am so sorry you have had to make this difficult decision @ycbm - I really do feel for you :(

Joe is such a lovely sort, and I am sure you will find someone who loves and takes care of him just as much as you do.

<<Hugs>>

MuddyMonster

Visit site
So.

What's he worth?

A mongrel with no breeding, clearly partly heavy, going to end up about 15.2 but with a huge barrel, depth through the girth, short clean legs at each corner, straight, who will, I'm sure, carry 12 -13st all day hunting when he's mature. Dad could hunt him, he'll eat a 20 mile pleasure ride with Mum, and do a BE 90 with the teenager. Sweet, kind, gentle lovely character. BUT only 4, barely broken, though I might be able to do more with him by the time I lose my land.

So sorry you're having to sell him.

For an idea of price, could you get an independent assessment of him?

He sounds super lovely but one thing to consider is that for a potential buyer, whilst I'm sure he could be all the things you say he could, until he's done it there's no guarantee so I'd expect to pay less than one that has proven to do all of that.

Hope it goes well for you though.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
im sad for you as you obviously care about him, if the money isnt the most important thing would it be worth putting him with someone you trust to do a bit with him for a few months then to do a few unaffiliated comps, just to get him going , then sell at the beginning of the summer... to me he looks like a riding club type who could do a bit of everything and give an owner lots of fun, that type are always sought after especially if they have already done some small comps.. hope you find him a lovely home

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
You purchased a rough diamond who you have started to buff up and will make sparkle one day. So you need him as a companion for Ludo until you move. Don't put pressure on yourself now. Continue to work him as you would have done before you made the decision to sell. If one of the lovely people from this forum is interested, let them message you/view him with the intention of rehoming him when you move. That could either be through a sale or gift if you found a suitable person to make him shine.

meleeka

Visit site
I’d ask for offers over £6-7k Normally I would say potential isn’t valuable, but with the way the market is, you could increase that to £10k and still have a queue of people. I’d give preference to friends or friends of friends. If you can keep him into the Spring and work towards establishing walk and trot, all the better. I think they always look better without a winter coat and people will be looking seriously then.

Selling him for under £5k will increase the risk of a bad home or low end dealer and you wouldn’t want that for him.

SusieT

Visit site
Just to put a pause on the somewhat enthusiastic prices- I think 8-10 k is probably too much. While he may do all of the above the post suggests that he is a just broken 4 yr old with no registered breeding. Backed and hacking nicely, showing talent over a pole anywhere from 4-8k.
As he is, depending on looks and movement you might be 4k and under and it really depends. Pros pay more for youngsters with potential to go far. Amateurs don't really buy the safe steady type until they are made so you have to find somewhere in the middle.

Regandal

Visit site
Just to put a pause on the somewhat enthusiastic prices- I think 8-10 k is probably too much. While he may do all of the above the post suggests that he is a just broken 4 yr old with no registered breeding. Backed and hacking nicely, showing talent over a pole anywhere from 4-8k.
As he is, depending on looks and movement you might be 4k and under and it really depends. Pros pay more for youngsters with potential to go far. Amateurs don't really buy the safe steady type until they are made so you have to find somewhere in the middle.
Have you looked at horse ads lately? Unbacked with ‘potential’ £3-4k
Backed and riding away £8 - 10k and that’s for bog standard horses. Anything with an iota of fancy breeding is off the scale.

Boulty

Visit site
I know you don't want to get left without a companion for Ludo & neither do you want to pay livery for 2 horses for an extended period of time but if you struggle to find the right person to take him unbacked / partly backed would it perhaps be worth taking him to Somerford (I think that was where you were going?) with you, finish backing & riding away & then sell as your market will then be considerably larger, you'll be able to ask more for him (which ought to at least partly cover the extra livery costs?) & you'll have the advantage of being able to offer top notch facilities for a potential buyer to try him. Otherwise I guess you're going to have to move him & Ludo on the same day (which could prove awkward if it doesn't line up with when the new owners are able to collect) Would also say that anyone who doesn't know you & the specific situation you're in might be put off / suspicious as to why you're selling him partly backed / may wonder what has gone wrong. (Would expect you would still find somewhere for him, might just make it take longer / mean you have less people contact you)

Not much idea of prices for his specific "type" but if you did get him going would expect somewhere in the £8-10k bracket wouldn't be far off the mark with prices how they are & perhaps £4-5k as he is?

TheMule

Visit site

I agree. At 15.1 he'd not do everyone and whilst he looks like he could shape up into a useful amateur hack/ RC horse, he's a long way off that as just backed.
4k as is, 5k with a basic ridden trial, 6.5k hacking, WTC, popping a small jump safely and quietly

Sandstone1

Visit site
Just a thought, but would it be worth getting someone in now to help bring him on a bit? If you are on your own it will be hard with 2 to ride and winter weather to do a great deal but if you could find a local pro rider who could do a few sessions with Jo and maybe hack out with you. It would help put some miles on him and hopefully make life easier for you.

Peglo

Visit site
Sorry to hear this ycbm. I was really looking forward to hearing how the pair of you got on.
I’m sure you’ll find him a loving home easily. He’s very charming.

best of luck with the house sale.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Thanks for all the comments. I posted as much to force myself to face up to the situation as anything. Your support has been really great, thank you.

I can't face a private sale with everything else going on, so I'll probably offer him to a local dealer I know who friends of mine buy from, who buys unbroken, breaks and sells.

I know there will be people who will judge me for not working at finding the best home for him myself, but they aren't living my life.

Roxylola

Visit site
We can only do.what we can do. You've a lot going on, hes a good unspoiled prospect that you've enjoyed having around there's nothing wrong with using a dealer especially if you're less fussed for price. By the sounds they're decent and will put a bit of time in to get him going which realistically gives him a better chance of finding a long term home.

Regandal

Visit site
Thanks for all the comments. I posted as much to force myself to face up to the situation as anything. Your support has been really great, thank you.

I can't face a private sale with everything else going on, so I'll probably offer him to a local dealer I know who friends of mine buy from, who buys unbroken, breaks and sells.

I know there will be people who will judge me for not working at finding the best home for him myself, but they aren't living my life.
That’s perfectly ok, you are facing massive upheaval in your life. He’s a kind, sensible type who will find himself a good home. You should be proud of the basics you have given him.
Also sitting on my hands……..?

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I know you don't want to get left without a companion for Ludo & neither do you want to pay livery for 2 horses for an extended period of time but if you struggle to find the right person to take him unbacked / partly backed would it perhaps be worth taking him to Somerford (I think that was where you were going?) with you, finish backing & riding away & then sell as your market will then be considerably larger, you'll be able to ask more for him (which ought to at least partly cover the extra livery costs?) & you'll have the advantage of being able to offer top notch facilities for a potential buyer to try him. Otherwise I guess you're going to have to move him & Ludo on the same day (which could prove awkward if it doesn't line up with when the new owners are able to collect) Would also say that anyone who doesn't know you & the specific situation you're in might be put off / suspicious as to why you're selling him partly backed / may wonder what has gone wrong. (Would expect you would still find somewhere for him, might just make it take longer / mean you have less people contact you)

Not much idea of prices for his specific "type" but if you did get him going would expect somewhere in the £8-10k bracket wouldn't be far off the mark with prices how they are & perhaps £4-5k as he is?

Exactly my suggestion. Take him to Somerford with you, see how you feel about having the 2 of them when you get there and if you still want to sell, sell him from there. There will be plenty of people to see him in the flesh and recognise his potential. Don't leave yourself without a companion for Ludo while you are still at home.

TGM

Visit site
Have you looked at horse ads lately? Unbacked with ‘potential’ £3-4k
Backed and riding away £8 - 10k and that’s for bog standard horses. Anything with an iota of fancy breeding is off the scale.

But are they selling though? I've seen quite a few advertised recently that don't seem to be selling at the higher prices ... I do wonder if the market is starting to slow down.

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
Don’t feel guilty for sending him away to sell rather than doing it yourself. You’re actually doing him a kindness, such a big house move will be a huge stress for you and chances are you wouldn’t be able to give selling him your full attention. This way he goes to someone with an ideal set up and who sounds like they are well known to you so assuming you trust their judgment and experience.

No idea on price because unless it’s 14.2 and under, filthy grey and a connie I’m not interested ?. Thinking of you ❤️