this is just about the most arrogant piece I have read in a long time.

scats

Visit site
I think it is totally inappropriate for a vet to use "killing" to refer to PTS. When people have to make the awful decision to have to have their horse PTS for whatever reason it is very insensitive to use that phrase.

I do have sympathy for her as a horse owner. She is in a situation in which a lot of horse owners get into where they are desperate to save a beloved horse and are perhaps blinded by love and will try absolutely anything even if the chance of it working is low because they cling on to it being their horse that is the in the 5% that makes it. Perhaps she thinks as she is a vet he will have a better chance of it succeeding due to the aftercare she can provide.

Many of us will rely on our vets to support us in making the right decision for horses and because she is her horse's vet she doesn't perhaps she doesn't have that support or recommendations in the normal way.

She has in her post said she would not recommend colic surgery for an elderly horse but I expect if Harry got colic and needed that she might change her mind on that. It is very easy to when it is not your horse to make recommendations but a lot harder when it comes down to your horse.

Having an unwell horse can lead to mental health issues linked to decision making, treatments, box rest and I would not be surprised if her mental health is quite poor at the moment.

I believe she doesn't prescibe prasend for Cushings so if he does have Cushings and many veterans do and if is untreated he may be more prone to infections and laminitis which may not help with his recovery.

I’ve had to make that decision far more times than I care to remember over the years, and devastatingly, for a young pony too. I lost 3 in relatively quick succession not all that long ago.
But the welfare of the animal must always come before the mental health of the human.

meleeka

Visit site
I think it is totally inappropriate for a vet to use "killing" to refer to PTS. When people have to make the awful decision to have to have their horse PTS for whatever reason it is very insensitive to use that phrase.

I do have sympathy for her as a horse owner. She is in a situation in which a lot of horse owners get into where they are desperate to save a beloved horse and are perhaps blinded by love and will try absolutely anything even if the chance of it working is low because they cling on to it being their horse that is the in the 5% that makes it. Perhaps she thinks as she is a vet he will have a better chance of it succeeding due to the aftercare she can provide.

Many of us will rely on our vets to support us in making the right decision for horses and because she is her horse's vet she doesn't perhaps she doesn't have that support or recommendations in the normal way.

She has in her post said she would not recommend colic surgery for an elderly horse but I expect if Harry got colic and needed that she might change her mind on that. It is very easy to when it is not your horse to make recommendations but a lot harder when it comes down to your horse.

Having an unwell horse can lead to mental health issues linked to decision making, treatments, box rest and I would not be surprised if her mental health is quite poor at the moment.

I believe she doesn't prescibe prasend for Cushings so if he does have Cushings and many veterans do and if is untreated he may be more prone to infections and laminitis which may not help with his recovery.

I absolutely understand what you mean. Being an old horse owner is rubbish, but that really doesn’t give her the right to prolong suffering, nor to be so rude to people who question her.

She mentioned the other day that the horse does have cushings and is on Prascend, so I’m not sure if she’s changed her stance on that, or it’s just her horse that she deems worthy of it. She also mentioned that he should be on a higher dose but can’t because he stops eating, which could be contributing to poor healing. I very much doubt any other vet would recommend surgery for a horse with cushings that isn’t under control.

Last edited:

Fieldlife

Visit site
She mentioned the other day that the horse does have cushings and is on Prascend, so I’m not sure if she’s changed her stance on that, or it’s just her horse that she deems worthy of it. She also mentioned that he should be on a higher dose but can’t because he stops eating, which could be contributing to poor healing. I very much doubt any other vet would recommend surgery for a horse with cushings that isn’t under control.
this absolutely. Uncontrolled Cushings could be causing the foot issues making surgery pointless on a number of levels.

Hannahkayj

Visit site
Yet she put a post up berating those who don’t know when to call it quits? Yet here she is dragging her horse through the mill and not the first time with this issue.

Honestly it’s barmy and it’s barmy she’s allowed to still practice, id not have her on my yard after reading her posts regardless if they were aimed at me or not.

Wonder if her clients can offer their opinion to her? I know I could with my vet and they encouraged it as we are all allowed.

equinerebel

Visit site
I saw a video of the horse yesterday throwing some shapes and her using that as an example of him feeling very well. I saw a horse distressed to be alone and most likely exacerbating his recovery by jumping around. I hope I'm wrong.

I do think it's highly unprofessional for a vet to refer to putting an animal to sleep as "killing", and to pass judgement on those who make that choice and trust in their vet during some of their worst and most vulnerable moments.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
She does I have the screen shot
I think if you read the newest post with the video you’ll see how guarded she says the prognosis is. I have no idea what the original symptom was of the infection. It could have manifested with mild foot pain 🤷🏻‍♀️

And whilst she clearly doesn’t follow the path that most would, and there are some significant issues with some of her postings, to cherry pick insignificant posts seems a little ridiculous imo.

Hannahkayj

Visit site
I think if you read the newest post with the video you’ll see how guarded she says the prognosis is. I have no idea what the original symptom was of the infection. It could have manifested with mild foot pain 🤷🏻‍♀️

And whilst she clearly doesn’t follow the path that most would, and there are some significant issues with some of her postings, to cherry pick insignificant posts seems a little ridiculous imo.
That is on the same post….. we all know it’s not been mild Christ she’s even said it’s not been mild. But when someone tries to almost say something good because the lady did, oh it’s mild. Woman’s tapped

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
That is on the same post….. we all know it’s not been mild Christ she’s even said it’s not been mild. But when someone tries to almost say something good because the lady did, oh it’s mild. Woman’s tapped
Your post makes no sense.

But each to their own 😉

Hannahkayj

Visit site
Your post makes no sense.

But each to their own 😉
Okay 👌.

We’ve had months of Natalie saying it’s been horrendous, Just like that lady has said that a lot of humans would have given up. Yet Harry is still fighting.

She’s not wrong

But Natalie now says it’s mild 💁🏻‍♀️. That mild he’s been in a postage stamp field for months.

Spiritedly

Visit site
No, she says mild foot pain, not that his condition is mild.
I think the issue may be that after saying it's bad and the prognosis is guarded when someone then commented saying how strong he was for still fighting the wonder vet then compared it to mild foot pain in a human.

So whilst she never actually said his condition was mild her comment...to someone who was being supportive of her!...could read that it wasn't actually serious or that he was in constant pain.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I’ve had to make that decision far more times than I care to remember over the years, and devastatingly, for a young pony too. I lost 3 in relatively quick succession not all that long ago.
But the welfare of the animal must always come before the mental health of the human.

But if your struggling and your decision making is being effected your mental is effecting what you do .
You can’t see the wood for the trees .

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I think that is one of the worst excuses anyone can make for not doing the right thing by an animal.
I’m not sure that’s fair. Even someone not struggling with mental health issues, who is perfectly rational and able and prepared to make tough decisions can literally not see the wood for trees, and therefore is unable to put an animal down when it needs to be done, rather than wait for a crisis.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I’m not sure that’s fair. Even someone not struggling with mental health issues, who is perfectly rational and able and prepared to make tough decisions can literally not see the wood for trees, and therefore is unable to put an animal down when it needs to be done, rather than wait for a crisis.
I have been around far too long and seen far too many animals put through things that they should never have been, because the owner puts their own sensibilities above the welfare of the animal.

I never said it was easy, I've owned a lot of animals over the decades through to end of life decisions, and I no doubt haven't got those right every time, but I have always at least tried to do what was right for them regardless of how upset I was at the time or whatever else I was going through. If you own animals, you owe them that, do the right thing by them to the best of your ability, and sort yourself out afterwards. Or don't have animals.

The idea that people are making excuses for a vet, who really should know better, on the basis of her possible struggles, makes me very angry indeed.

We see it repeatedly on here, people being lauded for being amazing owners because they "love" their animals and are prepared to spend fortunes keeping them alive, when the greatest love of all is knowing when to let them go.

I shall probably take myself away from the forum for a bit now, to avoid the incoming flak, but I feel very very strongly about this and I'm sick of seeing animals suffering for the benefit of human owners.

meleeka

Visit site
I have been around far too long and seen far too many animals put through things that they should never have been, because the owner puts their own sensibilities above the welfare of the animal.

I never said it was easy, I've owned a lot of animals over the decades through to end of life decisions, and I no doubt haven't got those right every time, but I have always at least tried to do what was right for them regardless of how upset I was at the time or whatever else I was going through. If you own animals, you owe them that, do the right thing by them to the best of your ability, and sort yourself out afterwards. Or don't have animals.

The idea that people are making excuses for a vet, who really should know better, on the basis of her possible struggles, makes me very angry indeed.

We see it repeatedly on here, people being lauded for being amazing owners because they "love" their animals and are prepared to spend fortunes keeping them alive, when the greatest love of all is knowing when to let them go.

I shall probably take myself away from the forum for a bit now, to avoid the incoming flak, but I feel very very strongly about this and I'm sick of seeing animals suffering for the benefit of human owners.
No flak from me. I do know how incredibly hard it is, but I do know that once it’s done, you don’t have to worry about doing it anymore. The animal won’t care either way, but I want to be sure i’m not left with regret that I could have done it sooner. I think a vet, who deals with death on a weekly basis, ought to be better equipped than us mere mortals, to know when it’s the kindest thing. My worse fear is watching any of my animals suffer and that’s way worse than making the decision to end it.

PurpleSpots

Visit site
New poster, not sure how to do quotes properly, but can't sit on my hands any longer!

'...someone who loves them so much that they won’t let them go until far too late...' Is it really loving another being when you prioritise your own feelings over theirs? Surely love is putting the other being first, no matter what it does to you? Doesn't it give the ultimate source of comfort to know you've done that?

As for 'mild foot pain'... Why have a go at someone who's supporting you in the first place? Can we really describe it as 'mild foot pain' given that first step up after the recent rolling video which immediately stops after that one very painful-looking step? There has been lameness at walk in other videos too. And I don't believe you can compare even the same level of foot pain in a person who can sit and lie down at will for as long as they like, compared to a so much heavier horse who is on their feet for the majority of their day, especially an older horse who won't find it as easy to get up as a younger one anyway?

I do understand that the change in antibiotics will have been likely to make things a little worse while the old ones have stopped and the new ones are taking action, and I do understand that the horse has had fairly significant surgery to his foot, but downplaying things to suit a narrative or attacking people if they dare to say anything other than 'Oh, aren't you great' only serves to create more distrust in those who are able to see things for themselves, surely?

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
I just wouldn’t put a retired horse of 23 through that. My oldies have all enjoyed a happy retirement until something happens that can’t be fixed with minimal intervention. If that happens it’s their time.

I agree, this is exactly how I have always treated my golden oldies when they are in happy retirement. The rule of thumb has served me and my horses well. I have never been left feeling guilty that I have had them PTS too soon, just the opposite, I have happy memories of not allowing them to suffer unnecessarily purely because it breaks my heart to let them go. They deserve more respect and care from me after all they have given me in their lives no matter how hard it might be on me.