this is just about the most arrogant piece I have read in a long time.

Sossigpoker

Visit site
"The end of an era. No more Eventing at Gatcombe Park. I feel so incredibly privileged, and extremely lucky, to have qualified for the Festival of Eventing National Novice Championships (run at Intermediate level) "

Had to share as the arrogance of this statement made me laugh!

meleeka

Visit site
when our Warrior was in the stable hanging from a beam in a sling, a young lady vet came to see him, he looked awful, and his head was all scraped and bloody, she said `well you could feed him on this and that, or just put him down`!

i wish she could see him now, shameful

he now has a super vet, a tall man, who treats him like the celebrity that he is, and has helped him overcome his fear of vets

A vet told a friend that her horse needed further investigation at a vet hospital and possible surgery but “he’s probably not worth it” 😡 He was priceless to his owner and got the treatment he needed.

Miss_Millie

Visit site
I find it cringe when people proudly bang on about how 'sharp' or 'dramatic' their horse is, as if it's a badge of honour.

If you have an unsettled horse that struggles to concentrate during training it's probably a result of not enough turnout/poor management, not enough exercise, some kind of pain/physical issue or crappy training. Not exactly something to flaunt 😬

If your horse is 'sharp' at home then you probably shouldn't be taking them out to competitions until you've resolved these issues.

slimjim86

Visit site
The woman clearly has psychological issues and definitely lacks the compassion that should be required to own any animal, why anyone would employ her as a vet is beyond me.
Many many moons ago I had a horse that was colicking on and off all day, on the vets 3rd visit he checked if she was insured and then said she would need surgery but that would mean going to a vets in Yorkshire ( we were in Northumberland) and she would be unlikely to make it there so should consider pts. Thankfully YO intervened at this point and kicked him off the yard, called their vet to say we were on the way and we got to a different vet that had a surgery in 20 mins. Horse didn't need surgery and came home at 8am next day. I don't know why orig vet wouldn't suggest the one in Stamfordham, it seemed like he would rather lose the horse than have a local competitor save it. I think this woman could probably be like that.

Fieldlife

Visit site
My theory is it’s psychologically more comfortable to label/blame horses than is to reflect on the why of horse behaviour. Particularly when the why might mean:

- pain (Ie cost and restricted activities)
- training (Ie my fault)
-resentment ( Ie my horse is upset with me/fears me)

So people cling to evidence that it’s the horse not them. And someone like her has credibility and is giving that message loud and clear. So people are reassured that if she ignores all those red flags in her horses, it’s fine for them to do the same with theirs. So I’m actually not surprised she’s popular! She’s an enabler.
think you maybe right. I follow her as I think some of the posts are interesting, especially the veterinary stuff / vet quizzes etc / colic posts. But definitely lots I dont agree with.

SEL

Visit site
I find it cringe when people proudly bang on about how 'sharp' or 'dramatic' their horse is, as if it's a badge of honour.

If you have an unsettled horse that struggles to concentrate during training it's probably a result of not enough turnout/poor management, not enough exercise, some kind of pain/physical issue or crappy training. Not exactly something to flaunt 😬

If your horse is 'sharp' at home then you probably shouldn't be taking them out to competitions until you've resolved these issues.
Couldn't agree more!

I was mortified by the behaviour of mine at a clinic at the weekend. Even now I'm squirming inside .....

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Unfortunately over the past few days I've noticed rather a lot of professional horse people (some of whom I used to admire) on Facebook whining about the negative comments from the general horse owning public (there's a definite flavour of "if you're not an X rider you don't know what you're talking about") and accusing those making a "fuss" of potentially accelerating the downfall of all horse sport and horse riding in general.

There is absolutely zero recognition of the fact that it is these top level riders who are the ones openly training and competing in a public setting and drawing the attention of both horse people and totally not horse people to animals who are stressed/abused/overused - gaslighting at it's finest :(

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site

What I don’t get with the shouty vet is she is threatening the horse with 24 hour turnout, I would think most horses would prefer that way of living and it would be an easy way to make the spooky mare less likely to be spooky. Seems a no brainer to me

Miss_Millie

Visit site
Unfortunately over the past few days I've noticed rather a lot of professional horse people (some of whom I used to admire) on Facebook whining about the negative comments from the general horse owning public (there's a definite flavour of "if you're not an X rider you don't know what you're talking about") and accusing those making a "fuss" of potentially accelerating the downfall of all horse sport and horse riding in general.

There is absolutely zero recognition of the fact that it is these top level riders who are the ones openly training and competing in a public setting and drawing the attention of both horse people and totally not horse people to animals who are stressed/abused/overused - gaslighting at it's finest :(

It's happening on the 'ethical' side of the horse world too. Certain pages blocking people and deleting comments if they don't conform to their ideology of what good horse keeping/training is, and then claiming they are being bullied by said commenters. These same people are often calling out toxicity in the horse world in their posts, which is ironic because they're part of the problem by creating echo chambers on their online platforms. What happened to nuance?

greenbean10

Visit site
Oh here she goes AGAIN. Do eyeballs get whiplash from rolling too much? Because I feel like I may have a claim

I’ve never heard anyone be so obsessed with their horse being bred as a ‘sharp competition horse’.

It almost makes her sound more amateur IMO becuase I have never heard any professional or top level rider use breeding as an excuse for their horse’s bad behaviour - especially if the horse doesn’t actually go to any competitons 😂

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Re 'sharp' competition horses, surely the aim with a sharp mare is being calm, quiet and reassuring, not getting very NOISY with them. How is that going to help? You can get away with pushing, shoving, harsh treatment on many horses. But the sharp sensitive ones need MORE sympathetic riding not less. Makes no sense to me at all. The sharpest mare I know was initially ridden by my friend who struggled with her. She then went to a pro for a few weeks who agreed she was super sharp but very talented. My friend wondered about selling. But instead tried giving the ride to her 13 yo daughter who rides her beautifully. She is a super balanced, really quiet rider, with lovely hands. Videos of the 13 year old are actually more pleasing than the ones from the pro! They are amazing and are winning and placing in Open sections at Novice and Disco regularly.

Hannahkayj

Visit site
I’ve never heard anyone be so obsessed with their horse being bred as a ‘sharp competition horse’.

It almost makes her sound more amateur IMO becuase I have never heard any professional or top level rider use breeding as an excuse for their horse’s bad behaviour - especially if the horse doesn’t actually go to any competitons 😂
Yeah I’m not sure what the criteria is for a competition horse is to her. As you know I’m a mere mortal so I’m clueless but Christ on a bike, she sounds like she’s been riding for 5mins and Is obsessed that she stayed on a bronc.

I can’t help but think parts of these horses training have been missed, she bred them herself so if they are all sharp as a knife it doesn’t bode well for her breeding program does it

EventingMum

Visit site
Her arguements that others would have never ridden sharp competition horses or come down to 1.20m is ridiculous a) it's not that out of the norm to do these things for many people, riders who have competed to a reasonable level are not some super species and 1.20m is not that big for many. Back in my riding days I jumped many a big Grade A tracks that were much bigger and I certainly wouldn't have considered myself anything special. b) many horses that are successful aren't necessarily sharp, it's very much depends on the individual. Many horses that are competing at a high level are so used to being out and about they take it in their stride and successful riders do their utmost to manage their horses in ways that reduce the cause of the sharpness. c) just because you have ridden a certain type of horse or jumped at a certain level doesn't make you an expert on horses, some of the best kept horses I have encountered are those belonging to "happy hackers" that would move heaven and earth to give their horses the best care and attention they can and spend far more time learning and understanding about their horses individual needs than some so called experts. This lady comes accross as someone who constantly needs to prove herself better than anyone else and I expect she has a lot of unspoken issues.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
What is she wittering on about today? There's nothing special about a big 5 year old popping a not very wide ascending spread with the back rail at 1m. I had a 5 year old cob who did more than that with perfect technique, and many people and many horses will be jumping that or a lot bigger very easily.

Is anyone going to tell her the saddle doesn't fit in the post from 2 days ago? I'm not brave experienced enough.

Hannahkayj

Visit site
What is she wittering on about today? There's nothing special about a big 5 year old popping a not very wide ascending spread with the back rail at 1m. I had a 5 year old cob who didmore than that with perfect technique, and many people and many horses will be jumping that or a lot bigger very easily.

Is anyone going to tell her the saddle doesn't fit in the post from 2 days ago? I'm not experienced brave enough.
Oh but darling she’s got the PERFECT technique and she’s the PERFECT 5yo with the most PERFECT perfectness

Fieldlife

Visit site
What is she wittering on about today? There's nothing special about a big 5 year old popping a not very wide ascending spread with the back rail at 1m. I had a 5 year old cob who did more than that with perfect technique, and many people and many horses will be jumping that or a lot bigger very easily.

Is anyone going to tell her the saddle doesn't fit in the post from 2 days ago? I'm not brave experienced enough.
this post? 1709836905096.png

greenbean10

Visit site
Her arguements that others would have never ridden sharp competition horses or come down to 1.20m is ridiculous a) it's not that out of the norm to do these things for many people, riders who have competed to a reasonable level are not some super species and 1.20m is not that big for many. Back in my riding days I jumped many a big Grade A tracks that were much bigger and I certainly wouldn't have considered myself anything special. b) many horses that are successful aren't necessarily sharp, it's very much depends on the individual. Many horses that are competing at a high level are so used to being out and about they take it in their stride and successful riders do their utmost to manage their horses in ways that reduce the cause of the sharpness. c) just because you have ridden a certain type of horse or jumped at a certain level doesn't make you an expert on horses, some of the best kept horses I have encountered are those belonging to "happy hackers" that would move heaven and earth to give their horses the best care and attention they can and spend far more time learning and understanding about their horses individual needs than some so called experts. This lady comes accross as someone who constantly needs to prove herself better than anyone else and I expect she has a lot of unspoken issues.

Totally agree with this. My horse has jumped 1m20 very successfully and is very relaxed…and he is definitely bred as a ‘competition horse’. If he ever is sharp I would never use ‘that’s how he’s bred’ as my excuse - it’s so odd.

I thought the same, the horse isn’t even 5 - i’m pretty sure it’s 7! It’s just so bizarre her banging on about how incredible the horse is when it’s still jumping tiny, stops at every show (at 80cm) and has okay scope but a below-average front end - I just don’t get it!

ycbm

Visit site

Yup. If the photo is a true picture, that saddle doesn't fit. Possibly too narrow at the front and if not it needs more flocking at the back.

ETA and FWIW her girth looks far, far too short (subject to the horse's opinion) and biometric research showed that short girths should be buckled as close to the bottom of the saddle flap as is feasible.

Last edited:

teapot

Visit site
Totally agree with this. My horse has jumped 1m20 very successfully and is very relaxed…and he is definitely bred as a ‘competition horse’. If he ever is sharp I would never use ‘that’s how he’s bred’ as my excuse - it’s so odd.

I thought the same, the horse isn’t even 5 - i’m pretty sure it’s 7! It’s just so bizarre her banging on about how incredible the horse is when it’s still jumping tiny, stops at every show (at 80cm) and has okay scope but a below-average front end - I just don’t get it!

Mare is def 7; the gelding's 5 I think (plus her three older ones)

ycbm

Visit site

Seven!? She's waxing lyrical about the "3* potential" of a 7 year old "competition horse" who's jumping the easiest, most inviting, most forgiving one metre fence you can build?

Last edited:

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Am I just that inexpert or did her technique look a bit odd?

Just seen the post where she put the draw reins on straight away, apparently she's expecting her to be sharp and spooky forever because "she is bred to be a showjumper"

I'd be intrigued to know the reason for those ugly ear covers for every ride - is it actually to help or is it because it's a showjumper so absolutely must have them as it's sooooo sharp. All of them none of her horses are suitable for anyone else as they're sharp competition horses eh?

I also find people bragging about how sharp their horses are irritating - feels almost like teenagers bragging

The gushing comments from her a**e licker followers are sickening, surprised none of them have directed her to this thread