Thoroughbreds? Ex Racers?

Dusty 123

Visit site
To be honest I now people who have ex racers they never had Heath issues with them and I also now people who have cobs that are always injuring themselves and going lame . Just goes to show that it not the breed it the individual horse .

HobleytheTB

Visit site
Mine is ex-NH, only had 4 starts and was last or last but 1 in all! She is a pain for random injuries, but when she's ridden she's forward going, a bit spooky/ sharp but safe - if that makes sense! I've never come close to falling off, despite the spooks! Hacks alone, first or last etc. To jump she does tend to hurdle a bit - fast and flat - but never stops or looks at fillers! I'm definitely biased, but she probably has the nicest, softest personality on the yard. Will have a cuddle with anyone! I'm sure a lot of that comes from being on a decent racing yard. I think it really depends horse to horse in general, but mine's not a stereotypical ex-racer anyway.

Maybe join the ex racer groups on Facebook and find a horse from a decent trainer if you can. Personally, I probably wouldn't get a flat racer as the early breaking in age would concern me. Mine did all training and racing between 4 and 5.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Schooling he tilts his head and can suddenly lock and refuse to bend for a few minutes, to which everyone says 'well he is a thoroughbred' , but I'm not completely happy that's the reason. In consequence, I am having some exploratory neck and back x rays done tomorrow for peace of mind, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if something is found.

Follow on from this. This is no surprise to me, and I would have been more shocked if there was nothing. My lovely, gentle TB has been seen by vets, physio, trainer and multiple experienced horse owners and they have all said 'he's just a thoroughbred' if he throws a small buck now and then. But he has x rays showing severe arthritic changes at the facets of C4/5, 5/6 and 6/7 at the base of the neck and associated kissing spine behind the wither.

He is 9 and has never raced, only been in training.

Another one to add to the ex racer money-sink group!

McFluff

Visit site
Follow on from this. This is no surprise to me, and I would have been more shocked if there was nothing. My lovely, gentle TB has been seen by vets, physio, trainer and multiple experienced horse owners and they have all said 'he's just a thoroughbred' if he throws a small buck now and then. But he has x rays showing severe arthritic changes at the facets of C4/5, 5/6 and 6/7 at the base of the neck and associated kissing spine behind the wither.

He is 9 and has never raced, only been in training.

Another one to add to the ex racer money-sink group!

Oh so sorry to hear that - is that the lovely Muffin?

I have a soft spot for ex-racers. I had one and she was just beautiful and always looked after me. When in full work, she was great and easy to keep (just hay and grass needed to keep in tip top condition). However, when she had a couple of abscesses in a row, it all unraveled and she lost her condition and muscle tone. Was intermitently lame and we just couldn't get her right. Eventually diagnosed KS, and sadly couldn't get her field sound so had to PTS. She was a great horse though and taught me so much. She was a 'too slow' NH horse.

LiquidMetal

Visit site
It would be nigh on impossible to buy an ex racer from the breeder in the UK, LM. Is it possible you meant the trainer?

No I literally bought from his breeder. Like poster suggested above, he was born on their farm, he raced, returned to their home farm and that’s where I bought him. I spent more than a lot of people do buying directly off track from trainer but was very worth it in my opinion. I got to try him out like any regular horse purchase and come back again to vet.

Izzwall

Visit site
I think I may be the lucky 1% but I've only had my ex racer 8 months so watch this space!
I have to say mine is absolutely fantastic! He's an ex flat that raced a week before I bought him off his trainer. He was a pretty crap race horse! I hacked him out alone and in company on busy roads and forest tracks and even had a little go on the local gallops from the day I got him. He's so level headed and regularly led my hacking buddies past scary things if their horses were having a melt down. On the rare occasion he gets upset he quickly comes down and is back to his calm self.
Injury wise he does go through stages of self harming. Back in December he kept over reaching badly but over reach boots rubbed him raw, in the end he managed to rip off half his hoof so took the shoes off and turned him away a few weeks earlier than plannned. I've been hand walking him for the last few weeks and he's an absolute diamond and is doing very well barefoot. I can long line him in a rope halter and as I ride my other mare in one I think he'll go well in it as well!
He took to normal horse life quickly though it took a few months for him to get used to turnout. He's out at night now with his little pony companion, he adores the little pony but doesn't suffer separation anxiety when he dissappears either. He holds weight well, loves his food, loves a cuddle and is just a lovely person to be around. I can leave him tied outside his stable and you wouldn't even know he was there. He's only just turned 4 so will be leaving any ridden work till September time but I'm having such a ball on the ground with him I'm in no rush, plus selling horses is not my thing so he'll be a life long companion ? he's starting to come out of his shell more and has the perfect amount of cheekiness where it makes you giggle, I think he's blooming marvellous ?

leflynn

Visit site
I have a an ex flat horse, a dinky little 15.1 twinkle toes and he's a lovely dude, he's quite tough although does like to be super cosy if wet/cold! We have had our fair share of injuries but some have been inflicted on him so not all to blame, he's done a tendon, a suspensory, fracture from a kick (trotted him up and he was only 2 tenths lame...), got caught in wire that had been deliberately cut by trespassers and a sarcoid over his eye and a couple of nasty cuts out hunting - any of this could happen to any horse tbh and he has been reasonable good throughout even if he has been a nightmare to bring back into work after 10 months on/off box rest (can't blame him though). I've been owned by him for almost 10 years, yes he's a bit more expensive to feed than a cob, he's also easier to keep fit - but I wouldn't have any of the other horses back (cob and a cob x TB), he's generally onside all the time and our jumping issues are mine (he has a great jump and loves jumping ditches and water xc). He has his sharp and damn stubborn moments but I'd have another in a heartbeat, I even tried to buy his only known full sibling but I was too late. He does dressage, we jump when I feel brave and he hunts occasionally, hacks alone and in company and isn't nasty and is one of the happiest little horses full of personality and sass I know, easy to handle I used to put my ex's son on him rather than his cob as he is safer and I know I can take him anywhere - I must be in that 1% too lol!

ycbm

Visit site
Thank you everyone. I've done a thread about him, don't let me hijack this one.

LM as it happens, this one did come from his breeder, but it would be really difficult to buy one in the UK of you set that as a criteria for purchase.

Squeak

Visit site
Well.... Now you've all made me worried. I've had my ex-racer for a bit under a year and now I'm terrified he's going to break imminently. I'm absolutely besotted with him, he makes me smile every single day. He's such a kind, genuine horse that tries his heart out to please.

He does eat his body weight in food and covers himself in nicks daily though.... Anyone know how to solve that hip rub thing?? He's fairly well covered as well...

Ps so sorry to hear your news ycbm

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
He does eat his body weight in food and covers himself in nicks daily though.... Anyone know how to solve that hip rub thing?? He's fairly well covered as well...

not a clue. Mine has a fairly thick bed for lying down in the stable, which he does... a lot :p
but he is a complete dimwit in the field and rolls on the stony areas, maybe they are like massage balls and he likes the sensation?!

bonny

Visit site
Well.... Now you've all made me worried. I've had my ex-racer for a bit under a year and now I'm terrified he's going to break imminently. I'm absolutely besotted with him, he makes me smile every single day. He's such a kind, genuine horse that tries his heart out to please.

Ps so sorry to hear your news ycbm
Lots of tbs go on well into their 20’s, same as any other horse really. Lots of them are still racing well into their teenage years, they can be as tough as any other breed.

Squeak

Visit site
not a clue. Mine has a fairly thick bed for lying down in the stable, which he does... a lot :p
but he is a complete dimwit in the field and rolls on the stony areas, maybe they are like massage balls and he likes the sensation?!

Mine seems to do it in and out of the stable, even with a big bed and mats :mad:

I think he's only been doing it since he's been in lightweight rugs or bare but I'm not sure sticking him in a HW rug is a viable solution :p

I'm starting to get a bit worried about it scarring as I had some vague notions about doing some showing with him.

Squeak

Visit site
Lots of tbs go on well into their 20’s, same as any other horse really. Lots of them are still racing well into their teenage years, they can be as tough as any other breed.

This is true, some of them go on racing for years! I'm sure there was a five star event horse that had raced 40 times or something like that before starting eventing, I remember thinking at the time how impressive it was!

Thank you, you have cheered me up :)

ycbm

Visit site

I don't think you are right about the 'same as any other horse' bit Bonny.

I'm pretty sure if you took 1000 ex racer TBs and and assortment of 1000 horses of any other breeding and background, that the average age of stopping work and of death in the TBs would be a lot lower.

LiquidMetal

Visit site
ycbm I meant if *I* were going to do it again, I would try and buy from breeder again. Honestly I would probably buy from the same farm again. I didn’t have the advantage of knowing someone heavily involved in industry like OP does. If I had a spouse who could scout out good horses ready to retire from racing, I’m sure I’d have about 10 :p

Really sorry to hear about your horse. Cervical arthritis is a real b*tch. I’m fairly certain my ISH that was put down last year also had it but he had so many other issues we never got to investigating the neck before I just decided to retire and PTS.

Dusty 123

Visit site
I don't think you are right about the 'same as any other horse' bit Bonny.

I'm pretty sure if you took 1000 ex racer TBs and and assortment of 1000 horses of any other breeding and background, that the average age of stopping work and of death in the TBs would be a lot lower.

I actually now lots of people who have ex racers and they haven’t broken and was ridden into their 20s . Just because it unfortunately happened to you doesn’t mean happened to every Ex racer

ycbm

Visit site
I actually now lots of people who have ex racers and they haven’t broken and was ridden into their 20s . Just because it unfortunately happened to you doesn’t mean happened to every Ex racers .

We all know those horses exist. It does not take away from what I believe is a fact, that if you took 1000 of each, you'd get a lower age of retirement and death ON AVERAGE from the TB group.

EmmaC78

Visit site
I am in the lucky 1% as well. I have had my TB 6 years and apart from a couple of minor vet call outs he is healthy and is fairly cheap to keep. He doesn't need much extra feed and is slightly sharp to ride but generally a gentleman. I think an ex racer is worth considering but you do have to get the right one - although that could go for a lot of breeds.

Northern

Visit site
Love them, I have had two awesome TB mares, had so much fun with both of them. Sadly after 7 years of good riding, my first mare broke down at 10, and now my 7 year old has been diagnosed with KS (am also tempted to xray her neck to see what fun things are in there). She's the sweetest thing and it's broken my heart that she hasn't been comfortable. I am hoping to build her back up slowly with work at the moment, but have sadly accepted that she may never be more than a pet, and that she may not make old bones. This mare lets me hop on her bareback and wander up the road in a rope halter without a worry, even after weeks off work. I won't have another at this stage, I love the bones of them but I just can't have another one break down so young on me :(

ETA: It's not to say all TBs break down, there are plenty of happy and sound TBs out there. If you do get one, keep in mind the common problems that can pop up and plan your insurance cover/savings accordingly. Hopefully you'll never need it!

Visit site
So how do you pick one that isn’t likely to break down?

Magic! If you knew my Gray lad in training you wouldn't touch him with a 50ft barge pole. His feet were truly diabolical - he had 2 or 3 big cracks in each front foot that were stapled and he had more toe clips on his shoes than you can shake a stick at just to hold them together! Then when I brought him home he had a 100% rupture of the SDFT. I could have had him in a box for 6 months and still shot him at the end of it for not being field sound such was the damage done. Instead he defied the odds and not only came out of box rest ok he is 100% sound, never had a bother with that leg, done very well in the show ring and in the nearly 9 years that I have had him he has only ever had 1 foot abcess.

Most of it is pure luck.

ihatework

Visit site
So how do you pick one that isn’t likely to break down?

If you want a horse that isn’t ‘likely’ to break down or you don’t know how to manage horses with underlying issues then don’t buy an ex-racer.

I wouldn’t rule one out but I would be super super fussy, and that would automatically mean I possibly wouldn’t find one. Things to look out for - Correct conformation. Good feet. Temperament under saddle. Stayed sound in racing for a while (couple of years). Stance & demeanour (horses in pain look to be in pain). Even muscling and good muscling. Freedom in their movement. Trainer willing to release and talk through their clinical history.

Depending on the job for the horse I wouldn’t automatically rule out tendons or wind which will be common rehoming reasons, but it would be very dependant on the horse. Spinal/orthopaedic issues concern me much more with these horses.

Visit site
Feet can hugely change out of racing. My Gray lad now has the feet of a Shetland pony and hasn't worn shoes for year.

A different feed regime and the fact they aren't galloping everyday putting hard concussion into feet really makes a huge difference. So does a change of farrier. Many that work in racing yards just slap shoes on and make the foot fit the shoe.

ycbm

Visit site
I'd agree with that Elf. My boy is working barefoot on broken up roads with no issues, it took a year but his feet are like rocks now.

meltb

Visit site
I personally wouldn't buy one. I don't want to tar every tb/ex-racer with the same brush, but a lot I've seen have issues..be it mentally or physically. of course every horse is prone to injuries, i've just seen a reoccurring pattern in ex-racers is all. I did try one out before lockdown. first ride was just walk (I went against every rule in the book by not watching someone else ride her beforehand--owner refused as she was too heavy but didn't tell me this before I went?) so I went back again and schooled her a bit, she was very green but listened to my responses. I liked her as she was quiet and sweet. another pony (her friend) was in the arena at the same time as her while I rode and then that pony left, trundling up the hill next to the arena. apparently I was a test dummy because the ex racer I was trying had never been schooled with someone else in there before. she reared vertical out of nowhere and I fell off. she didn't run off or anything, just stood there. owner said she had never done that before, then contradicted herself by saying she did the same when she met a pole on the floor..I was still willing to give her a chance, but the owner messed me around and sold her to someone else and blocked me after apologising and wishing me good luck...
glad she did because I wouldn't have found my lovely mare I have now!!
I would always buy something if it was TBx. my first pony was TB x welsh, she was worth her weight in gold. my gelding after her was conne x tb, and had the terrible tb feet so had to be regularly shod. again, completely worth it! project pony was warmblood x tb... you get the picture!!

AandK

Visit site
I have one, and would have another but I would be very careful when looking. But as with any horse, sometimes you have to see them in the flesh! The pics in my boys ad did not do him justice at all, I liked the sound of him and he was only 10min down the road so thought it was worth a shot.
My boy was bred by his trainers Mum, first raced a month before his 3rd birthday and raced on the flat 11 times, coming 3rd a couple of times but mostly last or near last! Sold at 4 to a non racing home, they did nothing with him for a year and then sold him from the field. The lady I bought him from had him 9 months but didn't have the time to do him justice. He is well put together with great feet (which is a big thing for me as my other non racing TB type has awful feet!) and has been barefoot since he pulled 3 shoes off within the first 36 hrs of owning him. He is very easy to do, not silly or spooky to ride but he can be sharp. He managed to injure himself talking to some mares over the fence last July, and had an op to help, but aside from that (quite a biggie I know) he has not had any other issues, although I've only had him since March last year.

There are lots of people out there with great exracers, and lots with the stereotypical types, if you can find a good one you will never look back. But statistically, you have more chance of getting an injury prone one than if you chose a non TB breed.