thoughts and experiences of tbs

steph91

Visit site
Currently on the hunt for a new horse when i started riding a friends tb. I absolutely fell in love with the horse, didn't live up to any of tb stereotype (scatty and always on their toes etc). Got her home for a weeks trial and she was super until she started kicking out after being ridden (thought this may be just her being hot and sensitive) then she started doing it while i was grooming her before being ridden. Needless to say i wasn't willing to persevere with a horse thats kicking out, especially as i have a nervous mum who does the horses over the weekend.

Now i'm looking i'm not sure whether to rule out tbs or not. So experiences with them please, positive and negative, i'm all ears!!

I'm looking for a horse to event, so good flatwork, good jump around 90-1.20 eventually.

misst

Visit site
As a non riding groom/mum my daughter has always had TB or TB Xs. I am also a little nervous if they are fiesty to handle. However I would sooner she had TBs for me to do when she cannot than any other breed. They are very very affectionate, very funny, and although can be quirkey are lovely horses to own. Current 2yo is such a dope he is adorable. I have loved them all.

Cadfael&Coffee

Visit site
I love them. They're sharp and intelligent, and have wonderful personalities.

:):)

Ignore the stereotypes- most of that is through lack of management (not always, bit definately a lot of the time)

I've never known a tb not throw it's heart into anything asked of it, and if you want to event they're fantastic!!

Only thing is, I prefer the shorter backed, more compact variety, as they tend to be a lot nippier in tight spaces ;)

My present tb, when fit, is similar to a mountain goat- he's that sure footed :D

nikkimariet

Visit site
the horses behaivior depends on the horse not the breed. There are good and bad TBs just as there are good and bad cobs or connemaras or any other breed.

Agree with this.

Look at each horse you view with potential, as an individual :)

My experience is that they are friendly, intelligent and have a great scope of ability.

Lippyx

Essex... In my bubble, floating above reality!!
Visit site
QR 0 I had a TB mare on loan last year. She was so laid back, she was horizontal!! My sister (who hasn't been around horses for nearly 20 years) happily groomed her once whilst I mucked out. She had a big fan club on the yard, and all the norvice helpers loved putting her out, as she was so calm.
When ridden, she was the same, although when we hacked out, she was more "awake" but nothing that worried me at all, infact it was nice to have a horse that walked out.

I wouldn't rule any TB's out. I have seen cobs more unsuitable for novices!!

Good luck!!

derynw

Visit site
we owned an ex racehorse for 5 years then sold him when daughter went to uni - but missed him so much that we bought him back when he came up for sale again. He can be keen and bit of handful in open spaces when being ridden but an absolute joy to handle on the ground. Unfazed my most things but can be upset for few days if there is major change to his routine, e.g. horse in next box changed. They thrive on routine.
Agree that it is their handling, like for any other horse, that can make all the difference but also watch the feed as well as some can change character very quickly if fed too much sugar/carbs.
My daughter evented up to BE Novice level and he is only 15.2HH. If we lost him tomorrow would look for another TB definitely.

showqa

Visit site
My mare is a TB, 7, chestnut - yes all the "no's" - and absolutely adorable.

She can be a little sharp at times, but nothing that a sensitive rider can't handle. She is very affectionate, intelligent, and a real giver. Now she' fit she's also pretty eye catching, although I must admit that keeping her condition over the winter was a struggle. The only negative I have about mine is that she cuts VERY easy. Her skin is so fine and her legs are like sticks, so she only has to glance something and there it is - a nasty wound. In my experince they're also a breed that do benefit from one to one handling, and I've seen her insecurity disappear as she's been kept to a regular routine and lots of handling. I love her!

Collytown

Visit site
Agree with a lot of what the others say, my current tb 17hh ex racer is so laid back is all respects, quite often he is easier to deal with then some of the shetlands. My last tb was completely different a nightmare to lead and ride but sound in the stable.

Sparkles

Visit site
I'd forget my horse was one if it didn't have it recorded in his passport as proof!!!

He's the most laid back, genuine horse I've met. Can honestly stick anyone on him from 8 year olds kids to novice adults to experienced riders and send them out hacking, jumping, schoolwork, or whatever on him with no worries. Canter him in front, behind, hold him back, etc on the buckle and he won't be rude or get excited and silly. Take him round the gallops, he never pulls or blows his brain. Shows, he's much better....last one show jumping he fell asleep at the ringside all day, other than jumping his rounds! He's just fab. [Even the one occasion where he ended up hacking across an airfield with a friend of mine riding him back to hers for a weekend and got lost so took a short cut lol!!!]

Compared to my opinionated OTT welsh diva....I love them. [Or just him...lol]

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...0242950746753_708806752_8529077_3023675_n.jpg

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...0230163251753_708806752_8393089_8112091_n.jpg

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...50228177181753_708806752_8372318_119808_n.jpg

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...0223572246753_708806752_8332081_3359681_n.jpg

Friend jumpig him for the first time today :)
http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...0247721546753_708806752_8576469_7934872_n.jpg

Marydoll

Visit site
I love my wee t/b mare, sharp as a tack but so much fun to ride and be around. I dont think they suffer fools gladly and compared to my warmblood x she is quite precious in her personality, its like sitting in a ferarri :)

millreef

Visit site
Agree with most of the others - it depends upon the individual horse. This is my daughters horse - he's a stallion and he's as good as gold. A true gent.
picture.php

Hal1k1

Visit site
After a 30 year gap with horses I loaned to buy my ex-racer. Everyone said he would be too much horse for me(especially as he is a chestnut) but he was the only one out of the many I tried who felt genuine and safe to ride.

In the first month we hit a downward spiral because I wasn't confident in the stable with him so made him more nervous and he got very aggressive knocking me over twice to get to his food. A very experienced women with 2 tb's told me that I was frightening him because he could feel my nervousness and so we were feeding negative vibes off each other. The other tip she gave me that I found has made such a difference to our relationship was to discipline immediately bad behaviour by sound or a slap to the chest or shoulder depending on the misdemeanor Then immediately stop the punishment and act as if everything is ok. Yes he does try it on but not with any real malice.

Mine reacts very quickly if frightened, so I always ride with a neck strap but as long as now and again I let him lose his built up adrenalin and keep him in a routine and on non-heating food he is almost perfect. So why would I want any other breed of horse?

Ginger Bear

Visit site
I love them!! My boy is so willing there is nothing he won't do when I ask him, even when frightened of something! They are so intelligent & loving. The only thing with mine is that if his rider isn't confident he falls to pieces, but that's due to his bad past rather than the breed, he really relies on his rider. For me the downside to both my boy & my mum's mare is that they both had flat feet to have to have the natural balance shoes, they have to see the farrier every 5 weeks & their feet hardly grow even with all the supplements! That's a bit of a pain!

duggan

Visit site
Come and meet our yard full of random tb's. All different, all safe to be around and all absolutely full of personality! The only think to remember with tbs is they need lines to work to and will get pushy if not told the rules. Don't bully them, just state the facts. They have brains (generally) and like to please you. There are always exceptions, but I love their individuality! Mine wouldn't be so rude as to kick out at any of us, that's not acceptable in any breed IMO.

Sanolly

Visit site
I have gone from always having native types to a 5 year old ex racer. My girl is so laid back she is horizontal! Very sweet and easy to handle. Are you sure there is nothing wrong with your horse if the kicking out is a relatively new thing?

Foxhunter49

Visit site
TBs are intelligent and can be sharp - but so can many other horses.

What any animal needs are rules and boundaries! Any horse is going to test a new person handling them and if they are not corrected then they will test more and more, usually on the ground and then when ridden.

When the horse started kicking after being ridden she should have been corrected for doing so. A hard slap on her belly or a poke with the finger would probably of stopped this ditto when grooming her.
Another thing is that TBs are generally thin skinned so by only using a soft brush on the ticklish spots does not aggravate them

skychick

Visit site
one word sums up my TB...........AMAZING!

she is genuine, safe, sane, you can ride her i a group, on her own, anywhere, she is just simply brilliant. Great to handle. She is good to school, jump, blast round a field, tractors and lorries can come out of nowhere and she doesnt flinch. She is content with everything....except dustbins :-D and the worst she ever does is spin round but will always walk past a scary object the second and third time. I would trust her with my life and she is my horse of a lifetime.

Previously had an arab.....he was a superstar....though be prepared for some serious energy if you go for an arab and to jog everywhere, you will never tire them out, they go at one pace at all times....flat out!
also had a cob x ish .....we wont go there.

any breed of horse can be a pig in a stable or to ride or handle. you will know the right horse when you find it and it may be the breed you were least expecting!

badgerdog

Visit site
I've just had my confidence restored by an amazing TB. I bought him last August following a period where I was on the verge of giving up, I'd become so nervous. I'm now back to my old self again, going out for long hacks and doing local competitions.

Mine is sensitive when I groom him, especially round his belly area. He lifts his legs up to warn me but I don't feel that threatened by him, I'm just careful when he's getting groomed.

I've had TB's in the past and I went through a period of trying a more hardier breed but it didn't work out. Give me a TB any day.

Lydz13

Visit site
Having worked with a variety of breeds, TBs have always been the easiest for me, although not my personal preference I wouldn't turn my nose up at one who was sane!

We had TBs who were so laid back they might as well not bothered standing, to normal horses, to highly strung ones that you had to keep an eye on. By far the most awkward horse I have ever worked with was a pure clydie. He had no manners, was really stubborn and ridiculously strong, and he was only 2 :eek:

I love Arabs and worked with them for years too. I think it really is down to the individual horse and your connection too. We had Arab stallions who were nervous wrecks, ones with no manners and ones who a child could have handled. One stallion who was a particular git (my favourite) was v sensitive and would bite and kick when being groomed. When he had learned his boundaries with me I had no problem handling him, but always stayed away from his back end when grooming LOL

I like the old fashioned stocky TBs, I've met some wonderful characters in my past!

skint1

Visit site
Tbs are great horses and I love ours but if you asked me today I'd advise against it! Ours has decided she won't load, she's cost me a fortune in vet fees, been a challenge in every imaginable way and yesterday for her encore she booted her field mate so hard he's having to go for surgery. They've lived happily together for over a year, no knows why she did it. I feel she's a Jonah.

gillianclaude

Visit site
I'd forget my horse was one if it didn't have it recorded in his passport as proof!!!

He's the most laid back, genuine horse I've met. Can honestly stick anyone on him from 8 year olds kids to novice adults to experienced riders and send them out hacking, jumping, schoolwork, or whatever on him with no worries. Canter him in front, behind, hold him back, etc on the buckle and he won't be rude or get excited and silly. Take him round the gallops, he never pulls or blows his brain. Shows, he's much better....last one show jumping he fell asleep at the ringside all day, other than jumping his rounds! He's just fab.

This describes my horse exactly too! He's one of, if not the safest horse on my yard :) would definately go for another if I had the chance.

steph91

Visit site
Thanks everyone for all your stories:) I'm definitely not going to rule out tbs in my search now, just got to convince my mum now.
Off on my hunt to find a new horse

iudall

Visit site
Hi,

I just wanted to say that the horse you described that kicks out, most probably has string holt. It's a medical condition that would have made him kick out, it wasn't aimed at you or anything in particular.

Tb horses can be a dream to own but as with all horses we need to take notice of their behaviour as that is their only way to communicate with us. There is no such thing as a naughty, cunning horse. They don't have that kind of intelligence. They just act on their environment or how they are physically feeling. We are the intelligent ones, have reasoning and can ask 'why?'.

Good luck with your search.

iudall

Visit site
Actually we're both wrong as it's stringhalt (all one word)!! :)

I work in the racing industry and have seen many tbs with diagnosed stringhalt who kick out backwards as a symptom.

lochpearl

Visit site
the horses behaivior depends on the horse not the breed. There are good and bad TBs just as there are good and bad cobs or connemaras or any other breed.

Brilliantly put! I've had more Tbs than you could shake a stick at and each of them had their own personality, only one of them would I actually say was dangerous. Som were fast, some were slow, all did exactly what I wanted them to do, were loyal, bombproof and fab rc/eventers. I'd always have another if I lost weight that is!! Now I have to stick with ISH part TB and a full ID which are equally gorgeous.

When I was younger the desirable and expensive horses were the TBs, cobs were ten a penny.

Kenzo

Visit site
A TB is what you make it or what someone else has, just like any other breed of horse, they all have their own individuality.

The ones that we have owned (through growing up and my parents horses) were lovely gentle creatures and ones that have been knocked about or not been in great homes in the past have again proved themselves to be forgiving and trusting again, compaired to some of the ponies we had, so don't judge a horse by it's breed too much.