Thoughts on Badders XC...

kerilli

Visit site
Apart from the fact that Francis Whittington and Percy were doing THE most perfect round and utterly didn't deserve that, why couldn't he have a tiny bit of good luck the way some people (e.g. Mary on her first ride) did?! argh. Totally gutted for him.
Anyway... I usually feel really buoyed up and positive after watching 4* xc, but i feel strangely disappointed, as if it was a bit of an anticlimax? Anyone else? Maybe because of WFP withdrawing and the last few not going clear, perhaps.
There seemed to be LOTS more horses than usual leaving legs, or was that just me imagining it? Fair number of cheeky run-outs too...
Lots of really brilliant experienced combinations ended up on the floor at all sorts of different places. No 'bogey' fence as such, which I know = great coursebuilding, but it seemed more punishing than normal. Anyone else agree?
Class rounds of the day: Camilla Spiers on Portersize Just a Jiff stood out early on, they obv know each other sooo well and were pure class. Emily Llewelyn and Pardon Me too, and what a good sensible decision to circle before final fence when she realised she didn't have the line/control, glad she didn't get penalised for it. Both first 4*s for those combinations, wow. Plenty of other great rounds later too of course.
R.I.P. Desert Island, v sad, condolences to all connections. :( :(

zefragile

Visit site
I know, it's so unfair that people were getting away with some terrible awkward moments whilst Francis Whittington ended up on the floor :(
There were a couple of rides that really shocked me to be honest- the riders left me really unimpressed.
Emily Llewelyn is amazing, if she's riding this well at such a young age just think what she'll be like a few years down the line!

WeeBrown

Visit site
I really enjoyed watching the bits I saw. I thought Spring Along had a fab round and was a joy to watch and Barry's Best looked a very sensible horse, really helping the rider out. Can't comment on technical stuff as not been to enough of these yet.

MegaBeast

Visit site
I agree about the amount of carnege it caused, mostly quite minor (apart from LL, RIP Desert Island) but a huge number of eliminations and retirements compared with normal I felt. Good course building in many respects as afterall Badders is meant to be the ultimate test.

Really feel for Francis Whittington, he deserved a clear, was riding so well, lovely flowing round, xc the way it is meant to be ridder.

A couple of poorly ridden rounds imo, Louise Skelton springs to mind, looked really untidy and not happy at that level. Also some superb horsemanship.

Bustermartin

Visit site
I think a couple of people were really lucky, got away with taking quite a few possibly unnecessary risks and it didn't look pretty - whilst others were really unlucky. So sorry for Francis; I'd never seen him riding better. But that I guess, is the sport. For me, it was a little more like the old days - the leaderboard after the dressage has been really shaken up - which is no bad thing in my opinion. With two small children demanding my attention all the time, I haven't had the luxury of watching it all, but there didn't appear to be one single bogey fence, faults were spread out fairly evenly round the course. I was glad that the ground didn't deteriorate too much throughout the day giving a more level playing field than was first anticipated with the rain.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
Even my OH commented about Tina not attacking and then promptly she rode backwards at the lake the horse gawped and they had no energy. I thought the course rewarded bold riding but horses were leaving legs all over the place especially good careful horses like Lead the Way and Some Day Soon. Commanche was hitting everything towards the end so not sure what his Sjing will be like tomorrow. Francis I felt was unlucky but also I think he was a little flat at the staircase which was not helped by the horse leaving a leg. His ride was pure class with no hooking, and just riding forwards.

MegaBeast

Visit site
Anyone know why WFP withdrew? The announcement came so late on can only assume Seacookie didn't feel right warming up, was looking forward to seeing him as missed WFP's first round, only came in half way through.

seabiscuit

Visit site
Francis's round was stunning to watch, really beautifull and it was very very unfair that he had that fall, he so did not deserve that. Also agree that Just a jiff was beautifully ridden. What a talent! Plus Emily Llwellyen. Those 3 riders alone stood out.

The good experienced XC horses with quick thinking riders like spring along, buzz and Imperial cavalier made it all look easy, but perhaps a touch less stylish, but they were forwards and positive all the way.

I felt that a number of top riders were very disapointing because they seemed to lack focus and concentration when approaching fences and quite honestly seemed as though they were away with the fairies and not looking at what they were doing. I felt like I wanted to shake them on the shoulders and say 'wake up and focus!!' I know that many of them are consistent 4 star riders but they seem to lack the real competitive drive and determination and quickness of thought- which is why they constantly mess up at this level and always suffer from silly accidents.

I thought it was a fair course tho, just right, and rewarded the proper xc riders.I hate it when its a dressage competition!!

kateD

Visit site
-I think reading the preview of the course in H&H by Pippa Funnell and listening to some riders interviews-it was rather underestimated! Ok so hears my opinion -soz in advance I have 2much time on my hands due to a broken ankle- so have watched all the live action on bbci 2day!!
Quarry-shame they took out the short route-long route seem to flow well of turning lines.
Huntmans close- I really don't like this fence-as some horse just did'nt seem to understand the question and there were a lot of dodgy jumps.
The Lake-needs a re-vamp-I think the brush fences in the water should go.
The countryside complex-good test-surprising how many horses dropped a leg going in.
The Farmyard- Loved this fence-I think its a good idea to go back to the open corner design. Rewarded accurate yet forward riding
The colt pond- the fence in was big-yet forgiving-there were alot of uncomfortable jumps going out though.
Hexagon Hedges-great fence needed respect and commitment.
Shogun Hollow-I think they should reinstante the old coffin fence here! I really dont like the corner out-the distance looked very suspect.
The Corral-alot of riders said this was a kind of 'nothing' fence-but it jumped well.
The village-have to agree with Fox-pitt here this is a horriable fence on awful ground that tired horse just don't need to be jumping on..
I'm not slatting Hugh Thomas here-I think he did a good job and Badders proved in no way to be a dressage competiton this year. It just seems that course designers have to tread a very fine line between testing top riders against confusing horses with fences they dont understand.....sorry to ramble on!

aregona

Visit site
megabeast - im so glad you said that!!! I thought the same early on. i thought she was actually very dangerous. FW and Ruth Edge i thought were so unlucky. RE was having a super round on her first horse, but then i guess thats horses for you.

It think Zara was very brave. Not sure why Glenbuck stopped like he did before the fence but fair play, she must know him otherwise im sure she would of pulled up.

Been a very dramatic day, people just seemed to have real bad luck this year with horses leaving legs etc... , any other ideas on this???

kateD

Visit site
umm I heard that Seacookie was not quite right-although this was announced very late on...WFP was very critical of some of Hugh Thomas fences-so perhaps did'nt want to risk him?

lhotse

Visit site
Some beautiful rounds to watch, but as sais, some pretty awful riding from several others. Louise Skelton and Nick Gauntlet looked like beginners compared to others, bad hands and no balance in the saddle. Good job they have horses that can get them out of trouble, not Louise's second horse though.

Lots of very good upcoming riders in view for selection to the British Squad, sorry, but whatever NG may say on his website, he won't be going to London 2012!!!

LEC

www.youtube.com
Eventing Magazine voted NG round on Chapel Amble as round of the day!

My thought also is Too much blinking shoulder slapping! Especially Geoff Curran who was doing it every stride at one point yet his legs did not move!

kateD

Visit site
Ihotse-yep they did look v.untidy-but Chapel Ample looks like it could be a top class horse..

whatawizard

Visit site
Poor Francis definately didn't deserve to end up on the floor, Percy had been amazing up until then, they are just so harmonious to watch. Thought Opposition Buzz was pure class he looked so full of running all the way. Just a jiff was great to, Camilla rode like a real pro for one so young. Really felt for Kitty and nugget too, they did such a fab test on friday and then that horrid corner in huntsmans just foiled him, hope she goes to another 4* instead now. Certainly wasn't a dressage competition this year!

flyingfeet

Visit site
Anyway... I usually feel really buoyed up and positive after watching 4* xc, but i feel strangely disappointed, as if it was a bit of an anticlimax? Anyone else?
I'd disagree and I feel it was a really good course to watch - no one found it easy (well maybe Daisy!). I am excited by the fact its not the same old names in the top 10.

I really hope Paul Tapner wins (ok I'm biased as he's a few miles down the road!). However I think it does the sport good to have someone new win.

lhotse

Visit site
Eventing Magazine voted NG round on Chapel Amble as round of the day!

UOTE]

You have to be having a laugh!! Is he paying them???

No doubt that the horse has talent, but someone else did all the hard work, he only took the ride last summer. He is not a very great rider in my eyes, he also pushes tired horses too hard.

DarkHorseB

Visit site
Agree FW round was looking so smooth up until that slip up - really did not deserve that!
Lenamore looked complete class xc - wish we had seen more! Also loved Caroline Ryan Bells horse - that will be one to watch and Opposition Buzz made it look easy too.
The riders that really attacked seemed to be rewarded agree Louise Skelton's riding on second horse looked appalling :confused:

kerilli

Visit site
Some beautiful rounds to watch, but as said, some pretty awful riding from several others. Louise Skelton and Nick Gauntlet looked like beginners compared to others, bad hands and no balance in the saddle. Good job they have horses that can get them out of trouble, not Louise's second horse though.

Lots of very good upcoming riders in view for selection to the British Squad, sorry, but whatever NG may say on his website, he won't be going to London 2012!!!

apparently they didn't show any of his second round because horse looked utterly cooked towards the end but he kept going, this is 2nd hand though as i wasn't there, will be interesting to hear from those who were.
that mare was great to him but must admit lots of parts of their round weren't pretty at all. :(

teddyt

Visit site
I felt really sorry fro Francis Whittington, it was a great round til he tipped off. He was gutted too.

I really liked Emily Llewelyns first round, her lower leg didnt budge and it looked really tidy.

I loved Opposition Buzz's face- especially at the end. He loved it, big jumps and ears forward the whole way. He looked like he really enjoyed it, which was great and how it should be.

The lady rider that came off after veering left at the hedge over the ditch (hexagon hedge?) i didnt enjoy. Her horse was clearly unhappy in its mouth and swishing its tail the whole way. The only time it looked happier was when she let go of the mouth with a long rein in the lake but the horse then ran out. Im not surprised she came unstuck eventually as the horse didnt seem happy at all.

I loved watching some of the riders pat their horses and say well done and show appreciation that their horses had jumped a fence well.

lhotse

Visit site
Ihotse-yep they did look v.untidy-but Chapel Ample looks like it could be a top class horse..

They looked untidy because he won't leave the horse's head alone, he makes all his rides look untidy, he has **** hands, sorry, honest opinion.

LEC

www.youtube.com
They looked untidy because he won't leave the horse's head alone, he makes all his rides look untidy, he has **** hands, sorry, honest opinion.

Eventing magazine Our cross-country round of the day? Chapel Amble, who was the first horse to complete Hugh Thomas's track, piloted by Nick Gauntlett. The plucky mare, for whom this was a four-star debut, stayed on her line and never lost her focus — even though their round wasn't always the smoothest!

FFF

Visit site
I've just got back and I found it a really good day to watch.

The course rewarded bold but careful riding, and the corners didnt look horrible, they were just more old fashioned which caught people out. Many of the top riders that had problems were taking iffy lines, for example WFP at the corners, and just risking it too much IMO. I thought that the corners were a lovely old fashioned fence, the frangible pin made it a lot safer and it rewarded careful but bold riding.

The countryside complex (is this the one I mean? Where Piggy fell?) was where a lotr of horses were leaving legs and banging it but it was nice enough for them to get away with it.

The cold pond was very tricky, but looked quite forgiving all the same. Caught a few riders out.

Francis was extremely unlucky, huge gasps when he fell. Sir P, just seemed to slip coming up the step after leaving a leg? The ground wasnt too bad actaully, the riders came back and said that it wasnt slippy tbh

I felt that Tina didnt ride with enough attack at the lake and MF just seemed to back off. He looked like he tried to change legs and then looked at the fence.

A few rounds that stood out. Both of Emily L's rounds were lovely. She well deserved a high placing. Camilla Spiers and Just a Jiff did a lovely pingy round as did Lenamore.

Several very honest horses. I loved Benjamin Massie's horse that helped him out in several places but it was lovely to see him acknowleging his wonderful horse.

I will put pics on whenever they upload :)

ETA: Carolyne R-B also had a lovely round, sometimes a bit sticky but a lovely horse :)

Last edited:

kit279

Visit site
Real shame for Francis, he was looking thoroughly classy until then.

I thought Paul Tapner had a bit of an 'eek' moment on Stormhill Michael near the end and he was lucky to get away with it, but really pleased to see a new face at the top of the leader board.

Avebury - naughty pony...!!!

But the best round of the day for me and the one I was hiding behind the sofa for was James Robinson on Comanche who looked like he felt the pressure of a good dressage on an old crusuader and really pulled his finger out to get the horse home. Good man and I hope he stays in the placings.

FestiveSpirit

Visit site
Really interesting to read this as I have just got back - obv my views are just based on seeing people jump one fence mainly! Opposition Buzz, Spring Along (Daisy completely threw me, didnt realised she had got married!) looked really classy IMHO (only saw them over one fence!) but I thought Miners Frolic wasnt really going well (saw him on the big screen)

There did seem to be lots of leaving a leg, having a run out, as everyone else has said. Oh I saw I've Been Done over the Normandy Bank and the fences before and after, looked fantastic :)

And I am DELIGHTED Paul Tapner is in the lead, I will be on the edge of my seat tomorrow, he so deserves to win - I shall have to reinstate the Paul Tapner appreciation society at this rate :D:D

worMy

www.katherinebegley.com
I thought those two corners really sorted out the men from the boys.
they were just average corners on a straight line, but with a skinny back rail and the fact they were open corners they needed accurate riding. those who rode accurately flew through brilliantly, those that didn't came a cropper. I think it highlighted how complacent RE accuracy at things like this people have become because they are used to filled in corners where you don't have to ride so straight at them, where the place to jump is more obvious for the horse and where you can get away with mistakes A LOT more.
So i thought they were fab, open corners are something you get at lower levels more than the high levels now and i think it's about time they were brought back. especially as frangible pins make them so much safer - eg alex, horse fell on it but corner just collapsed and no damage.

Just my two cents, I love how it's not been a dressage competition!!

:D :D

teddyt

Visit site
And I am DELIGHTED Paul Tapner is in the lead, I will be on the edge of my seat tomorrow, he so deserves to win - I shall have to reinstate the Paul Tapner appreciation society at this rate :D:D

There was a shot of him at the end and i didnt realise he was so good looking :)

FestiveSpirit

Visit site
There was a shot of him at the end and i didnt realise he was so good looking :)

He is just gorgeous isnt he, I went to try a horse at his yard and I seriously cannot remember a thing about the horse cos I was drooling over him all the time :p

But he has a lovely wife and lovely kids, so I just content myself with admiring from afar :D

blackhorse09

www.youtube.com
"I thought those two corners really sorted out the men from the boys... I love how it's not been a dressage competition!!"

Totally agree Katherine, those corners were a great accuracy test because the less focused horses definitely saw that there was an easier option!

Nice to see the XC providing a real test and rewarding the good riders and jumpers. I think Chapel Amble deserves an equine medal of commendation for her performance, what an honest, gutsy mare!

The horses that most impressed me were Opposition Buzz [boy would I have loved to sit on that one] and Avebury [gorgeous grey, even if he was a naughty pony].

Glad that Francis Whittington has been getting plenty of appreciation, his round was almost awe-inspiring, especially considering his recent illness- and how lovely was it to see him giving his horse a hug after his fall? Really hope he has a change in luck soon!