Thoughts on these Hooves

Dyllymoo

Visit site
Thank you.

I havent spoken to my farrier yet as he is dealing with his own lame horse at the minute and everytime I see him he is rebandaging etc and I feel bad.

I will drop him a message. See what he thinks. The appointment is booked for xrays and i can cancel if I feel I dont need it I guess.

Ugh just feels like im either opening a can of worms or making up the can of worms.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
The trouble with tripping is that although it might be an indication of only something subtle going on it in itself can be quite dangerous which tends to make it worth investigating. Particularly as his toes are short and not an obvious cause.

He certainly has room for improvements, particularly to the back of his hoof but that might be a separate issue.

w1bbler

Visit site
Op, I'm another that would take the shoes off at next farrier visit. I transitioned 2 at the beginning of lockdown. One, who had slightly underrun heels, looked really uncomfortable for 2 days, but within a week seemed to have forgotten he'd ever worn shoes. 4 months later, he is completely rock crunching, no longer trips & has gone from being lazy to bouncy & forward.
The other took a bit more effort, had to boot all round to continue riding.
Didn't really change their workload at all. If its something you'd like to try there is no need to wait for the 'right' time.
Check your insurance though, a friend said her policy specifies the horse must be appropriately shod

ester

Visit site
that's a very decent frog on a shod horse. 1 looks a bit thrushy, 3 has a very tight narrow gap that might need some seeing so but he'd be starting from a good base if his shoes came off. Though I agree with what was said earlier about ground conditions for doing so too.

re. insurance, petplan said they would pay for remedial trimming from a trimmer as a treatment but they had to be seen by a farrier regularly, go figure!

Buster2020

Visit site
Going barefoot doesn’t work I had the same problem with my horse barefoot made my horse very unbalanced and causing her a back pain as a result . I would probably look at using a different farrier the shoes look to small for him/her . Once my horse got the correct shoes she wasn’t tripping anymore.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Going barefoot doesn’t work I had the same problem with my horse barefoot made my horse very unbalanced and causing her a back pain as a result . I would probably look at using a different farrier the shoes look to small for him/her . Once my horse got the correct shoes she wasn’t tripping anymore.
You couldn't get barefoot to work for you. That doesn't mean it doesn't work for other people. You just hadn't got to the cause of her hoof problems.

ester

Visit site
yeah, that's a pretty bold statement! Some do get muscularly stiff due to moving differently, you need to keep on top of that so it doesn't become an issue. The one thing I would change would have been getting more bodywork done at the time.