Throwing in the towel :(

Louby

Visit site
Im really at the end of my tether and feel like throwing in the towel and giving up as I cant carry on like this.
Just what do you do with a young horse that has more than one injury, you have tried so hard for months, spent hours before and after work just sitting there to try and allow them some turnout, yet they are determined to gallop, buck, leap, slide to halt and you are constantly back to square one. This is after trying 24/7 turnout, further injury so 4 weeks box rest, 6 weeks in a small pen and now in individual turnout but more room so can run but shouldnt be :( I love her to bits but Im so tired, shes understandably fed up and I just cant see no end to it. Horse is insured with 2 claims currently running but the latest injury after trying her in with the other horses resulted in an emergancy vet visit and a large bill, I cant keep up with it all financially or emotionally.
Sorry for a self pity post, Im on a very small yard (moved there to hopefully help her recouperate) and have no one like minded to share any of this with.
Thank you so much for reading

McFluff

Visit site
Hugs. I can’t offer anything else, as sounds like a horrific situation to be in. Some just don’t seem to be that good at self-preservation. Hoping someone can come along and offer a nugget that helps.

meleeka

Visit site
If I was ever in the position of box rest and controlled turnout again I’d pay for a rehab yard. My nerves were not good.

Fingers crossed you can work something out (Sedalin?)

Louby

Visit site
Thank you for replying. Im willing to try anything, Ive got Sedalin but worry she may be uncoordinated and do more damage. I will try an otc calmer, I think Ive got some Naf Magic for starters :) She was such a lovely girl, then everything went wrong early this year. Im no spring chicken, she was my last chance at having fun and I have to admit Im now starting to resent her, I feel terrible saying that!! She can go out and be absolutely fine then today shes had 5 hrs this morning, galloped like a mad woman, so got in on my lunch break as I cant trust her all day, well my nerves wont stand it! Another hour this evening, ran up and down again, I kind of give up!! She has another scan booked for the end of the month but I dont hold out much hope.

Louby

Visit site
Im Manchester area. I just feel like seeing if anyone wants a broodmare but despite everything I actually worship her and cant bare to let her go! If there was another stable Id seriously consider getting another, leaving her til next year but having 2 woud make the turnout easier.... or so I think! I feel so mean her being alone but the other mare on there has taken a dislike to her, hence my large vet bill last week.

Louby

Visit site
Are you not able to turn her out in a herd?
I wish I could, thats what got us here in the first place. I dont know whether its terrible 5's or what? as she was in a mixed herd and has also been in a mare only herd and was absolutely fine, then this year we moved as she was backed and I had no one to ride with. I loved the yard but sadly she got lots of little injuries, then basically battered which led to the 4 weeks box rest etc etc. We moved to allow her individual turnout whilst she recovered, then put her with the ther 2 horses and the mare was seen to relentlessly double barrel her. Silly sod apparently just stood there?? So back on her own again as I cant risk or take anymore. Shes either dominant or daft!!!

Louby

Visit site
I would find a big field with a stable non-working herd, with good shelter and well draining land - I’d stick her in it, shut my eyes and pull her back out in a year.
Thanks for replying, I did and ended up with a £200 vets bill on day 2 :( Shes seriously a walking liability.

Firefly9410

Visit site
I would box rest until sound them straight onto ridden rehab whilst living in. No turnout until fully fit and healthy in work for six months or something like that in the hope that the legs could withstand a bit of a hooley round the field by then.

HobleytheTB

Visit site
I've not found any issues with a small dose of sedalin. Mine was on it for the first few days she went back out in a paddock after box rest. She was still perfectly alert, just took the edge off! Maybe try a smaller dose than what you usually would use for your horses size if you're worried? Best of luck, horses are a nightmare sometimes x

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
If she was OK in a small pen then I would go with that and walk out in hand until she is ready to ride.

Or, if I were really at the end of my tether, send her to a retirement every for a while where it is a stable herd and no one has any shoes. It sounds like she is the victim rather than a fighter so should fit with a set of oldies. Go back in spring, and hope that she has learned how to cope in a herd situation.

Or, when I had a victim here, we got him a Shetland. That worked for months, but then they had to be separated as the big one started to bully the Shetland, so they then grazed side by side.

Or, see what rehab yards there are to bring her bak to work asap. Not sure I would go for that looking at the time of year and with regard to the expense.

A couple of times I have offered to buy horses like this, that are essentially nice horses but who have worn out their owners emotionally. Of course, it would have been a token amount, but it would have been an honourable out for the owners. In both cases the owner went from thinking their horse was a drain and worthless to realising that they would miss them, so although I did not actually have them, my offer did a job!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
If she was OK in a small pen then I would go with that and walk out in hand until she is ready to ride.

Or, if I were really at the end of my tether, send her to a retirement every for a while where it is a stable herd and no one has any shoes. It sounds like she is the victim rather than a fighter so should fit with a set of oldies. Go back in spring, and hope that she has learned how to cope in a herd situation.

Or, when I had a victim here, we got him a Shetland. That worked for months, but then they had to be separated as the big one started to bully the Shetland, so they then grazed side by side.

Or, see what rehab yards there are to bring her bak to work asap. Not sure I would go for that looking at the time of year and with regard to the expense.

A couple of times I have offered to buy horses like this, that are essentially nice horses but who have worn out their owners emotionally. Of course, it would have been a token amount, but it would have been an honourable out for the owners. In both cases the owner went from thinking their horse was a drain and worthless to realising that they would miss them, so although I did not actually have them, my offer did a job!
good advice.
That stage from pen to proper turnout can be really hard to manage and take a toll on your emotions. i've got a tricky one that is in a pen at the moment and every day is a brain teaser how to keep her happy, I'm not planning to give her proper space until she's healed enough to start working.

I did start to enquire about rehab yards because I know how awful it can be and sometimes out of sight, out of mind is better ;) worth a thought.

Trouper

Visit site
I know you have been going through a lot - but so has she and she is a youngster who may not have fully developed her social and self-preservation skills yet!! Her current companions do not sound suitable for her present problems and yard moves will have unsettled her. The cooler weather is also making many a bit excitable just now as well!!! I would step back a moment from her current medical issues and think carefully what sort of environment will suit her best as she grows and develops. There have been a number of good suggestions on here to manage her current medical problems but only you will know what will suit her and what is manageable for you - both personally and financially. I think if I were very uncertain I would consider calling in a good behaviourist to look at the whole situation for you and advise. When we are so emotionally involved I think we are often too close to the situation to think objectively.
Don't give up on her and your dreams yet- there is help out there. In the meantime there is Bach's Rescue Remedy for you - or gin!!!!!

be positive

Visit site
A valerian based calmer would be more likely to work than a magnesium one, it will build up a little over time if used daily.
I would be looking for a retirement type of livery, full grass livery where nothing is being ridden or maybe a herd of youngsters although they would probably play too much initially they would not be aggressive or coming and going so would be better than a livery set up where horses get taken out or just getting attention from their owners can set off a bit of territorial behaviour which will get worse when resources are less as we go into winter, herd turnout can work if they are all treated equally with no coming and going on a regular basis.

Leo Walker

Visit site
What is the prognosis? Unless it was 75% chance of full recovery and 95% chance of hacking level of work recovery then I would PTS. It can only go on so long and if she isnt going to come right then what is the point in making yourself and her miserable? I know its easy to say and I found it very, very hard to retire mine when he broke for the third time. A year down the line and I've not regretted it once.

Orangehorse

Visit site
Ask the vet. Mine was a nightmare on rehab so the YO contacted the vet who prescribed bromide, tiny amount about 1/2 teaspoon just to take the edge off - apparently used when breaking in TB colts that are a bit over the top.

It takes the edge of them, but you can ride them if you want - but do beware the vet forgot to remind YO that it can affect the digestion and the first night she had to walk the horse round in the dark trying to get him to eat something so he didn't get colic.
Have to say that the YO and vet had worked together very closely for years so the vet wasn't dolling out to just anyone, I think it is a substance that could be misused, but it worked better than Sedalin which seems to loose its effect after a few doses (which is why he was in a rehab yard in the first place as I had run out of options and neither of us was safe).

Nudibranch

Visit site
I feel your pain. I had a 7yo pts, having had him from 6 months old. He wasn't right from a 2yo. I'm not saying that's the route you should take but I would definitely consider the turn away option if your vet is happy with that. 12 months if need be. Take the pressure off yourself and let nature do its job. It may or may not work (didn't in our case) but I know how hard the repeated box rest/workup/treatment/rehab cycle gets. It's hard on them too; mine was a 17.3 wb who would drop weight at a dangerous rate when box rested so it just wasn't an option.

Sukistokes2

Visit site
I would speak to my vet, often box rest is given as the quickest way to allow a horse to recover. It may be quicker but it is not always the best way. Maybe she can be turned out in a big field, with others. Her recovery might take longer but she may be more settled and not injure herself. All advice given her is good but the only person who can really advise in your situation is your vet. Horses are a pain at times.

mustardsmum

Visit site
First, hugs because I know exactly how you feel! Daughters horse has been off all year, box rest with access to small yard while ligament injury heals. She’s a stressy mare, gets wound up if her companion (who is in the field next to yard) disappears from view. We used Sedalin to walk her out initially and she has valerian every day. Both keep her calm and for a horse that can be tricky we have coped with the box rest, although there are moments when like you - I feel like it’s never ending. She now has a postage stamp area of turn out (literally enough space to turn, roll and stretch!) and so far she’s been fine although my nerves were in tatters the first day we opened the gate! But I would really recommend trying some valerian in her feed each day and give her Sedalin before you turn out. Do give the Sedalin a good 45 mins to an hour to work, before you turn her out. It’s not a sedative - she will still function and react to what’s going on around her but those reactions will be a lot more subdued. Our horse would be a nightmare to walk out inhand when we first started her rehab - think prancing, bucking squealy mare..... Not great if you don’t own a school and it means walking inhand on the road. With Sedalin she’s just calm and not reactive but nothing like how she is if she needs sedating for a scan or X-ray, when she snores and has nearly fallen over herself. Would add that now she’s in a routine we don’t need the Sedalin half as much - we assess her and each situation. She now has her turnout in her little pen and is calm but we do still feed valerian each day. The Sedalin is now my go to in situations with her where I think she might have a problem, so she will have a dose when she goes onto a bigger turn out area. I hasten to add - once she is back in full time work, it will only be used for clipping, before people think I use it to ride all the time!!! And talk to your vet, mine (who knows my mare is a bit of a stressy type when boxed) said to use whatever helps you and the horse. Hope it all works out for you.

Leandy

Visit site
I would do one of two things (both suggested above) depending on what the actual injury is, the value of the horse, your circumstances and whether you are bothered about not riding for an extended period, the prognosis and, most importantly, your funds:
(a) turn away for 6 months to a year - find a suitable large herd turnout with others resting or retired with no back shoes on, turn out and leave them to it (major injuries aside and I wouldn't expect those in that environment) - this is the cheap option
(b) rehab livery until sound and back in normal work - the expensive option

Annagain

Visit site
I know you probably said about her being a broodmare in exasperation but if you were serious and she's sound enough to go through it, depending on her breed, I know someone who is looking for a broodmare. She's happy to buy but also aware there may be people who need a home for a mare for a year or two and would be happy to do that too. Provided she's physically up to it, it might be an option that would give you a bit of time off too?

Nudibranch

Visit site
To be honest I wouldn't be looking at a young horse with multi issues as a brood mare. Neither for breeding a sound foal, nor for the mare's recovery.

I do think if there was more emphasis on only breeding from mares with proven performance that don't collect injuries, the horse world would be a better place. Yes, there's always those that have bad luck and a freak injury but there's too much unsoundness related to conformation and other issues about and it needs breeding out.

canteron

Visit site
Poor you. It does sound to me as if the yard, though lovely, doesn’t suit her at the moment.

Either move (😬) or find a way to make the yard work. If it was me and I could keep another horse at the yard I might contact a horse charity and loan a companion over the winter (they would be delighted) and just turn away. You would then have time to either share or have lessons over the winter.
I would also look at some on the online groundwork courses available and really work hard at developing her trust and confidence so you had a brilliant horse next Spring and the time wasn’t wasted.
Good luck

LegOn

Visit site
Try not to be too hard on yourself or down but I know its hard - I see a girl on our yard going through the same thing & its exhausting.

But a little tiny dose of sedaline each day for the first week or so of controlled turn out did wonders!