Thrush, Sheared heels, hoof imbalance - Lameness

Dregish1950

Visit site
Just thought I would update:

We do not feel the mild navicular is the problem. He came in lame from the field on the weekend and He had Heat in the hoof.

After lots of consideration I spoke to the vet and asked to arrange an MRI. We are booked in on Monday.
He wanted to understand my thought process as I do sometimes think I come across crazy. I’m not, I just want the best for the boy.

The heat in the hoof & coronet didn’t sit right with me and the vet agrees it’s not something you see with navicular.

So I’ve gone back through my millions of videos & photos, there was something niggling back In June, slightly noticeable on the right turn on the hard but sound in trot up. Then I came across a picture of his front hoof - I took it because the toe was rough, the crack down the middle you could see through.

I did 2 sponsored rides with him August & September but I had an holiday and he wasn’t in my work. He was extremely naughty I thought he was excited but now I think it was pain.

The last bit I was struggling to understand was how he came sound 3 weeks after being shod in Avanti shoes then went lame when he was shod again but with heart bars. But I then thought about the statement my farrier made “he’s got a stretched white line” he also had toe bruising.

The Avanti shoes are like a banana effect which helps with the break over because they effectively roll and these were likely to help keep the pressure off the toe.
Obviously I had sacked this farrier in December and my new farrier first thing he done was to take the toes back and placed the shoe back to help with break over.

I might be wrong but my gut tells me he had concussive laminitis. Long toe, low heel, stretched white line, bruising along the white line & sensitive at the toe with hoof testers We do a fair amount of round work but we don’t always trot. I believe the sheared heels and thrush took the attention away from the real problem.

Hopefully the MRI will give clarity on what the problem is, thank you for all the advice and replies.

Dregish1950

Visit site
Why don’t you X-ray first before MRI?
If you are thinking lami then they should give you a much cheaper answer!!
Because I’ve already spent £700 and no further forward so instead of spending another £500 on them and then to be told I need to do MRI. So I’ll rather skip the middle man and get the answers. Plus the vet agreed he thought it was best. P.S the vet isn’t carrying out the MRI so he’s not gaining anything from it.

Dregish1950

Visit site
There results were old tendon lesions and an old fracture. But the cause of lameness is the navicular inflammation.

My new farrier “This diagnosis is what’s been going on since I first saw him but we just didn’t know it yet.
He was lame on that foot when I first saw him at the yard, long toes, imbalanced medio laterally and underun heels. he was lame in the heartbars due to the suspect toe nail I removed and the pressure on the frog from the heartbar. He was lame in the 3D pads again because of the pressure on the frog In turn putting pressure on the the damaged navicular religion and tendon.”

So the boy has been on 2.5 weeks of box rest he’s so much happy and comfortable. He was shod in wedges yesterday to elevate the pressure on the navicular from the DDFT. Both vet & farrier are confident that we should be able to manage it with shoeing.