To neuter, or not?

MurphysMinder

Visit site
This anti-neutering of male dogs seems commonplace among human males. I disagree with keeping them entire unless they are valuable specimens and useful studs. How awful for them to be fully functioning males and unable to act on the instincts. That to me is cruel.

We currently have a castrated male, but I have kept entire males in the past. I think with male dogs I would probably weigh up the particular dog before castrating, i would however always spay a female . I do agree that males of the human species do seem to be particularly sensitive regarding castration. I once did a home check for a rescue when the man of the house said he would happily take a bitch to be spayed but if he had a male it would have to stay entire as he "couldn't put a dog of his through that". So fairly major surgery is fine but a far simpler procedure is not?

PucciNPoni

Visit site
Well, I am definitely female and none of my dogs have looked remotely distressed even when they have met in season females. Interested but quickly reminded of their manners and moved on willingly enough. What I sometimes think is that some women are so used to male dogs without their bits they experience a 'yuk!' reaction when they see a pair dangling between a dog' s hind legs!

I certainly have handled many a dog and bitch which were entire. I'm not particularly squeamish when it comes to a pair of normal testicles but I certainly am averse to a dog dry humping my arm because there has been a bitch in season in the salon. Oh, and a pair of aged testicles which hang down to the dog's hocks? Yeah, not pretty and certainly not fun to try to clip around.

I think too that men are more squeamish about a fruity bitch's bodily functions but never even notice smegma. What's up with that?

Molly'sMama

Visit site
This anti-neutering of male dogs seems commonplace among human males. I disagree with keeping them entire unless they are valuable specimens and useful studs. How awful for them to be fully functioning males and unable to act on the instincts. That to me is cruel.

that was our thinking, really. He's a beautiful dog but we're not going to breed from him and it made US nervous every time he was off the lead on walks, because other idiots take their females out in heat [honest to god that really happened- one woman literally said 'Oh, she's in heat that;s probably why he's sniffing.' hello?????] and then we would have to put him on the lead and drag him away for something natural, like it was a punishment.. anyway, we're all happier now he's been done- he can play as much as he wants and although he never humped habitually; he never once tried it on a person, he's never again tried to do it to other bitches or dogs so that worry's gone:)

Last edited:

SusieT

Visit site
If your entire male is out off lead I don't understand why you complain that bitch owners take their in heat bitches out - it is unfair to expect in heat bitches to be confined to a house because you can't control your male. I would keep an in heat bitch on a lead myself but entire males have no more right than entire females to be walked

PucciNPoni

Visit site
If your entire male is out off lead I don't understand why you complain that bitch owners take their in heat bitches out - it is unfair to expect in heat bitches to be confined to a house because you can't control your male. I would keep an in heat bitch on a lead myself but entire males have no more right than entire females to be walked

That was my thoughts, exactly

Sandstone1

Visit site
I find it strange that some people are unwilling to castrate a male dog because it changes them physically.
They are happy however to dock tails!
They may also say that it changes their personality. Docking does this as the dog is unable to use its tail to express itself properly.
People are also saying how stupid and irresponsible people walk in season bitches when they are quite happy to free run entire males!
There seems quite a lot of double standards.

Last edited:

Alec Swan

Visit site
……..

People are also saying how stupid and irresponsible people walk in season bitches when they are quite happy to free run entire males!
There seems quite a lot of double standards.

And some stand by their statements. I keep dogs and bitches and I wouldn't dream of allowing an in season bitch to have access to dogs and run the risk of having to abort puppies. If I have a bitch which is in season, then she is MY responsibility, and NOT that of a random stranger who's taking their entire dog for a walk.

I shoot in organised groups and I wouldn't dream of taking an in-season bitch with me on a day's shooting and expect others to be responsible for their dogs. If on those days when I organise shooting, on the very rare occasion when entire dogs are showing more than a passing interest in a bitch, then the owner of the bitch is asked if they can leave her in their car, rather than disrupt the day.

The responsibility for in-season bitches lays squarely with the owner. I fail to see the logic of someone, aware that they have a bitch which is at risk, and expecting others to be aware of that or worse still, to consider that entire males should be castrated to absolve them from responsibility.

Alec.

Sandstone1

Visit site
Obviously, it's the responsibility of the owner not to allow a in season bitch to have access to other dogs.
My point is that people are complaining about people walking in season bitches because it upsets their entire male dogs.
It's a bit hypocritical in my opinion when a bitch is really only at risk for approx 3 weeks twice a year, yet a entire male is always up for it and if allowed will escape and wander off if he can smell a bitch.
In a ideal world no one will allow either sex to wander, in reality it happens.

Fools Motto

Visit site
But the bitch still needs walking, so being responsible will be walked on lead. This still doesn't stop entire males showing interest? Some owners will let their males 'great' bitches despite stating the obvious.
As for shooting, any 'normal' person will not take their in season bitch out! (that is one advantage of having dogs!!)

Sandstone1

Visit site
But the bitch still needs walking, so being responsible will be walked on lead. This still doesn't stop entire males showing interest? Some owners will let their males 'great' bitches despite stating the obvious.
As for shooting, any 'normal' person will not take their in season bitch out! (that is one advantage of having dogs!!)

This is my point, I have no problem with people walking in season bitches on lead in quiet places. I do however have a problem with people letting entire males run up to my bitch (spayed) and start humping her.
It's the responsibility of all owners to have control of their dogs. Neutered or not. Sadly it doesn't happen all the time.
Why people even think of breeding cross bred pups I don't know.

twiggy2

Visit site
If I have a bitch which is in season, then she is MY responsibility, and NOT that of a random stranger who's taking their entire dog for a walk.

for me it is far more simple, dog/bitch/entire or not as the owner/trainer of dogs if they are in my care they are my responsibility.
I always exercise my bitches if they are in season in fact they get more time being exercised as they are kept on lead (unless I have access to secure areas) until I understand each bitches season cycle, my last entire bitch had 3 days where she was deaf to all commands due to the hormones that told her to follow the drive to mate. Apart from that she was her normal self and not interested in males.
I don't have a desire to see every male dog castrated but I think people have to view how entire dogs fit into some family homes, some dogs are just easier to live with and be around once they have been castrated.
If a dog is capable of breeding the owner needs to make sure it does not happen unless it is a planned mating, if they don't want that worry then the dog needs to be nuetered

siennamiller

Visit site

Um, I didn't actually complain about it, I said that might be why he escaped, he wasn't off lead, he managed to escape out of a gated, fenced garden, through a new hole.
He is under control when walked, and when off lead is always within my eyesight, and completely under control, if I whistle then he returns immediately, which I do whenever we see another dog, he is then put back on the lead to pass the other dog.

This was a post asking for advice about whether to neuter, it wasn't a post complaining about female dogs in heat.
I am the first to admit, I don't have a huge amount of experience with dogs, but was always told that females in heat should be kept in, I was obviously given the wrong information.