To sell or would you regret it?

charlotte0916

Visit site
I’m in need of some advice from those who’ve sold horses before - I’ve never done it and really on the fence about whether I’d regret selling this one.

Good points:
-6 years old
-fantastic paces on the flat been told she could happily go advanced medium.
-great hack in company, doesn’t jog/div around, canters with others nicely. Decent alone, can have a confidence wobble but generally feet don’t leave the ground/my bum has never left the saddle.
-Boldest/quickest thinking horse I’ve ever sat on, total dude to jump and stays rideable. Will make a fantastic event horse, she’s the type to stop and look rather than spook and has never stopped/run out etc.
-great to load and travel alone/in company/in all transport
-Thrives on routine and work but won’t put you on the ground if she has a few days off, doesn’t really think to buck/rear/ever come back at you ridden just loves the challenge of work.

But -

Bad points
-Looses the plot if her friends are taken away from her
-Good if she’s in a routine really difficult if this is interrupted. As a result needs to be handled the same way by the same 1/2 people every day.
-A massively moody mare in the ground, fine one minute annoyed that you’re in her space the next, basically has the tolerance of a gnat so cannot have any of my non-horsey family in her vicinity and even horsey friends I need to remind them often to keep their distance. Has snapped at instructors/professionals and waves legs around often. Never touched anyone but will threaten as very mareish.

Her ideal situation is to be an eventer for someone who has their own private yard with plenty of turnout and a laid back retiree who never leaves. She’s happy to leave them, she just hates them leaving her.

I am early in my career and after an eventer to enjoy who is happy to cope with a livery yard, the odd day off if I have to be away with work/friends and generally is fairly laidback whilst being a grassroots comp type.
However - I realise all my mares good points listed above are really hard to come by, and I’m wondering if I’d really regret selling her later (but may be being a bit better the devil you know) as she is only 6 and could improve somewhat with time. And has improved in many ways since I’ve had her.

Looking for people to weigh in who’ve been in a similar situation and found it a relief to sell or conversely think she sounds good enough to stick it out given most have a quirk. We’ve been given notice at our yard as we’re at a private place and they’re finding her too high maintenance so Im going to be moving one way or another in the next month.

Annagain

Visit site
My judgement is probably clouded by the decision I've made to sell my boyv (he's not really done much wrong but we haven't clicked. I'm sad about it but I know it's right) so feel free to ignore me but I'd say once you've reached the point where you've already considered selling, and they're reasons that aren't really going to change, you have your answer.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
2 things spring to mind
has the "moodyness" been investigated at all, as there may be something going on that could be treated?

how much emotional energy do you have for a horse?

One of mine is similar, absolutely terrible separation anxiety when it is others leaving her but has always been happy to go and do a job. Due to her type I was essentially forced into keeping mine because her talents and quirks didn't fit with the kind of person who would be looking for a horse like her (native) therefore i threw everything into keeping her happy, and enjoyed what she was good at. We were schooling all the GP work by the time she sustained a career ending injury. it was a bumpy old rollercoaster but I have learned so much from her, it was worth it.
Other people would not have been prepared to make the sacrifices i did to suit her. it's a personal thing i think.

yours does at least sound like a desirable type for her talents so you should be able to find a good home if you are patient enough. i've just taken on another clingy one and if he doesn't improve i will do exactly what you are suggesting, and will give him a retired girlfriend who never leaves him!

Pegasus5531

Visit site
My personal opinion on this would be that if you just have the one horse as a hobby and an escape outside of day to day work, responsibilities etc then they have to be enjoyable. It sounds like your mare has a lot of potential and might be suited more to a low level eventer who's full time focus is horses and has a few together so they can keep her routine and companions consistent. As others have said usually if you're considering selling you know yourself that it's maybe for the best. I would sell and then find yourself something that is a bit easier to manage and therefore gives you more enjoyment.

Ali27

Visit site
Yours sounds like our Ginger mare who had huge separation anxiety when we got her as a 6 year old. She was also really bolshy on the ground! Luckily my older mare who was kept with her while on livery was very sensible and we managed her separation anxiety fairly easily as my mare was never taken away from her. I’ve had my own place for last 5 years so now have a little companion pony (my old mare was pts sadly) and she is now so chilled! She happily comes away from little pony to be ridden, out 24/ 7 majority of the time! She is now 19 and fairly good on ground now as long as in pressure halter! I’m so glad we stuck with her as despite all her quirks, she really is my pony of a lifetime. She is just a little stress head who just needed managing in the right way. She is with me for life. Will be looking at some point for another as conscious that she is getting older although she is still bombing around and jumping 80-90 happily. Your mare would be just my cup of tea! Is there anyway that you could get her a rescue companion pony? Although I appreciate that is hard when you are on livery.
I think if you do sell her, you will have to vet homes really carefully! I know when we got our mare, it took so much time and patience as she was awful that others would have given up and sold on! Her old owner is so happy that we ended up with her and that she has a home for life?

irishdraft

Visit site
For me if I was looking for an eventer those bad points wouldn't put me off as I have my horses at home with only me doing everything and the retired horse. It's not much fun when you don't gel or get cheesed off/ resentful but bear in mind the horse market is particularly difficult atm so I would be cautious if she ticks more boxes than not x

charlotte0916

Visit site
My judgement is probably clouded by the decision I've made to sell my boyv (he's not really done much wrong but we haven't clicked. I'm sad about it but I know it's right) so feel free to ignore me but I'd say once you've reached the point where you've already considered selling, and they're reasons that aren't really going to change, you have your answer.[/QUOTE

You make a good point re thinning of selling as it’s own indicator.
I wouldn’t say we’ve necessarily clicked, she seems to wind me up fairly effectively and I need to be exceedingly patient to work with her most effectively.

charlotte0916

Visit site
Are there any Pro competition yards near you where you could have her on livery? Somewhere where there is lots going on and she wouldn't notice one horse leaving her? Plus where the staff would be well used to dealing with the more tricky / complex competition horses?

This is one option I’m mulling over. There are some comp yards around that could work - however she was on a busier yard with me previously and was permanently wired for the 5 months until we moved as she’s focussed on every movement on the yard. She was similar at the yard previously. I think in time (months or a couple of years) she could improve, but how many liveries are willing to deal with that and whether I should put her through that to suit me are what I’m debating.

charlotte0916

Visit site
2 things spring to mind
has the "moodyness" been investigated at all, as there may be something going on that could be treated?

how much emotional energy do you have for a horse?

One of mine is similar, absolutely terrible separation anxiety when it is others leaving her but has always been happy to go and do a job. Due to her type I was essentially forced into keeping mine because her talents and quirks didn't fit with the kind of person who would be looking for a horse like her (native) therefore i threw everything into keeping her happy, and enjoyed what she was good at. We were schooling all the GP work by the time she sustained a career ending injury. it was a bumpy old rollercoaster but I have learned so much from her, it was worth it.
Other people would not have been prepared to make the sacrifices i did to suit her. it's a personal thing i think.

yours does at least sound like a desirable type for her talents so you should be able to find a good home if you are patient enough. i've just taken on another clingy one and if he doesn't improve i will do exactly what you are suggesting, and will give him a retired girlfriend who never leaves him!

Yes, it’s a good question and the moodiness has been investigated. Ulcers scoped, treated and cleared, a number of work ups with the vet to check no underlying issue (very sound), back x-rayed (clean), extensive physio for possible back soreness (improved and put down to just being reactive about her space), regumate trial, slight improvement not major difference. 21 hours of turnout per day and adlib hay, next to no feed and alfalfa free diet trialled.

As you can see with the list above there has been quite a lot of emotional energy expended, so I feel a bit depleted currently.

charlotte0916

Visit site
Yours sounds like our Ginger mare who had huge separation anxiety when we got her as a 6 year old. She was also really bolshy on the ground! Luckily my older mare who was kept with her while on livery was very sensible and we managed her separation anxiety fairly easily as my mare was never taken away from her. I’ve had my own place for last 5 years so now have a little companion pony (my old mare was pts sadly) and she is now so chilled! She happily comes away from little pony to be ridden, out 24/ 7 majority of the time! She is now 19 and fairly good on ground now as long as in pressure halter! I’m so glad we stuck with her as despite all her quirks, she really is my pony of a lifetime. She is just a little stress head who just needed managing in the right way. She is with me for life. Will be looking at some point for another as conscious that she is getting older although she is still bombing around and jumping 80-90 happily. Your mare would be just my cup of tea! Is there anyway that you could get her a rescue companion pony? Although I appreciate that is hard when you are on livery.
I think if you do sell her, you will have to vet homes really carefully! I know when we got our mare, it took so much time and patience as she was awful that others would have given up and sold on! Her old owner is so happy that we ended up with her and that she has a home for life?

Yours sounds very similar to mine! We’ve tried putting her with the two companion ponies at the yard and it didn’t matter to her unfortunately- any horses leaving her sets her off. Similarly she’s very odd on hacks that the only thing that really makes her loose her brain is seeing a runner pass us - it’s like anything leaving sets off her anxiety.

I do wonder similarly to yourself if in time she will become a dream - she’s such a pain currently but does have many good points and I’ve poured a lot of time and energy into her so am fond of her in her own way.
I wouldn’t want to sell her to just anyone - I’d be looking for just the right set up for her, because I think I’m the right circumstances she would be a total dream, and I think she deserves to fulfill that instead of always finding life stressful and being treated as a pain in the rear as a result.

Ali27

Visit site
Yours sounds very similar to mine! We’ve tried putting her with the two companion ponies at the yard and it didn’t matter to her unfortunately- any horses leaving her sets her off. Similarly she’s very odd on hacks that the only thing that really makes her loose her brain is seeing a runner pass us - it’s like anything leaving sets off her anxiety.

I do wonder similarly to yourself if in time she will become a dream - she’s such a pain currently but does have many good points and I’ve poured a lot of time and energy into her so am fond of her in her own way.
I wouldn’t want to sell her to just anyone - I’d be looking for just the right set up for her, because I think I’m the right circumstances she would be a total dream, and I think she deserves to fulfill that instead of always finding life stressful and being treated as a pain in the rear as a result.
Oh, mine isn’t keen on runners/ walkers either! If she sees one coming towards her she will stop and tense up!
Is she ok being left in stable beside another if another horse goes?
Mine is a nightmare on camp if I go with my friend and her gelding leaves her while she is still in stable. She whizzes around, can’t tack her up etc as she starts rearing etc. Fine if her little bestie companion pony is with her though. Yours isn’t Ginger too, is she?

Ali27

Visit site
Also check out calm healthy horses website! Using GrazeEzy made a huge difference to mine when she was at her worst! I also add salt to her diet and avoid clover in grazing! They have a UK rep now to order through☺️

charlotte0916

Visit site
Oh, mine isn’t keen on runners/ walkers either! If she sees one coming towards her she will stop and tense up!
Mine is a nightmare on camp if I go with my friend and her gelding leaves her while she is still in stable. She whizzes around, can’t tack her up etc as she starts rearing etc. Fine if her little bestie companion pony is with her though. Yours isn’t Ginger too, is she?

charlotte0916

Visit site

How funny! It is the only thing that inspires her to ever jog on hacks, other runners.
That’s exactly the behaviour we get in the stable. She used to be worse and look like she was threatening to jump out but has improved a bit. It doesn’t make a difference if others are around generally, it’s any movement that sets her off. No she’s a bay/dun but they sound like long lost sisters! Let me know if you’d like another, you sound well equipped to deal with the type! ;)

Ali27

Visit site
Mine was absolutely awful to hack when we first got her! Would only go behind another horse, if on own then would rear, spin, rear, spin! I did lots of inhand work including taking her out on own inhand hacking and used a Richard Maxwell pressure halter which I still use it to lead/ load her. She now hacks perfectly on her own ?
Haha! Where do you live? I like the sound of your mare?

charlotte0916

Visit site
Mine was absolutely awful to hack when we first got her! Would only go behind another horse, if on own then would rear, spin, rear, spin! I did lots of inhand work including taking her out on own inhand hacking and used a Richard Maxwell pressure halter which I still use it to lead/ load her. She now hacks perfectly on her own ?
Haha! Where do you live? I like the sound of your mare?

That’s the funny thing, mine is like a donkey to hack largely (seriously I hack on the buckle with others) but can get herself in a tiz if she gets worried and then you’re trying to explain to a mare that’s she’s wrong and it’s actually fine ??
We’re in Bristol if you are in the market for another quirky one!

littleshetland

Visit site
I think that if they're good at their job, then they stay. I've had PIA horses 'on the ground' and they have eventually adapted to being nicer 'people' (and I've adapted to them as well) so generally me and the horse have reached a compromise, and then from there things have settled. Nothing beats the lovely feeling when they want to please you when being ridden and they try their best. She's only 6 so she may well improve.....good luck!

Flame_

Visit site
I’m in need of some advice from those who’ve sold horses before - I’ve never done it and really on the fence about whether I’d regret selling this one.

Good points:
-6 years old
-fantastic paces on the flat been told she could happily go advanced medium.
-great hack in company, doesn’t jog/div around, canters with others nicely. Decent alone, can have a confidence wobble but generally feet don’t leave the ground/my bum has never left the saddle.
-Boldest/quickest thinking horse I’ve ever sat on, total dude to jump and stays rideable. Will make a fantastic event horse, she’s the type to stop and look rather than spook and has never stopped/run out etc.
-great to load and travel alone/in company/in all transport
-Thrives on routine and work but won’t put you on the ground if she has a few days off, doesn’t really think to buck/rear/ever come back at you ridden just loves the challenge of work.

But -

Bad points
-Looses the plot if her friends are taken away from her
-Good if she’s in a routine really difficult if this is interrupted. As a result needs to be handled the same way by the same 1/2 people every day.
-A massively moody mare in the ground, fine one minute annoyed that you’re in her space the next, basically has the tolerance of a gnat so cannot have any of my non-horsey family in her vicinity and even horsey friends I need to remind them often to keep their distance. Has snapped at instructors/professionals and waves legs around often. Never touched anyone but will threaten as very mareish.

I've sold horses, no way would those bad points outweigh those good points for me.
I have some "deal breakers", like I sold my mare because I couldn't get her safe in traffic and I would have sold my current horse if he hadn't learned to accept hacking alone, but none of your bad points would bother me much personally.

chaps89

Visit site
I think I’m going to go against the grain and say sell.
Horses are too expensive and time consuming that unless you’re a pro, you’ve gotta like them.
If you’re mad keen on them doing a particular job it is easier to overlook how they are when they’re not under saddle.
You don’t sound happy or like you’ve been happy for a while and isn’t that what the point of it is?!

Ali27

Visit site
That’s the funny thing, mine is like a donkey to hack largely (seriously I hack on the buckle with others) but can get herself in a tiz if she gets worried and then you’re trying to explain to a mare that’s she’s wrong and it’s actually fine ??
We’re in Bristol if you are in the market for another quirky one!
Unfortunately I’m up in Staffs? Ideally I will be looking for a 2/3 year old as want to get ground work and manners established and hopefully not end up with a bolshy madam like mine ?

McGrools

Visit site
Those quirks wouldnt put me off and i would think it will be hard to replace her for another of equal ridden qualities and soundness in the current market.
i’d try to find a yard/farm that has big shared turnout 24/7 where there are always others out and ride her from the field. And get her out competing. If she is showing promise the quirks will pale into the background and she will be a more attractive purchase should you decide to sell.

Jellymoon

Visit site
I did sell one a few years back who I couldn’t gel with jumping, so not like your mare in that respect, but he was actually hard to manage at home too. He wouldn’t settle if he was ever left. He wasn’t the easiest for people to lead either, would rear. I sold him due to the jumping, but after he left, and I found an easier horse, it was actually such a relief! He was happier on a big yard with a strict routine. My only regret was that due to his quirks he did get passed around a bit, before landing in a nice home at the end.
I perhaps sold him to the wrong person in the first place. So yes, I would sell her, but I’d be very careful to whom, and also in this market I might expect to have to work hard to find a replacement.

Leandy

Visit site
If she does what you want her to do (which it sounds as though she does) and the stabling situation can be managed, I would keep her. She may well settle down with age. If you really aren't sure, put her on the market and if the right home comes up sell her and if it doesn't then the decision is made for you anyway.

tda

Visit site
So tricky, thing is finding something to replace with.
6 is still quite young tho, plenty time for her to settle if you can find a suitable place.
I have a pony I bred who is honestly the most stressy dales pony I've ever met ? I'm sure she will settle in time.....

hock

Visit site
For me she’s sounds super but with a hormone problem. I’d either get a vet to investigate hormones and treat for ulcers or go down the grass effected route or actually all 3. But I’m a “to the bitter end” kind of person but there’s so much right with her that I’d have to investigate the rest.

charlotte0916

Visit site
Those quirks wouldnt put me off and i would think it will be hard to replace her for another of equal ridden qualities and soundness in the current market.
i’d try to find a yard/farm that has big shared turnout 24/7 where there are always others out and ride her from the field. And get her out competing. If she is showing promise the quirks will pale into the background and she will be a more attractive purchase should you decide to sell.

This is what I’m concerned about, unfortunately one of her quirks is that she needs individual turnout or she gets kicked as didn’t have socialisation as a foal. We’ve tried her with ponies are she doesn’t think of them as company.

charlotte0916

Visit site
For me she’s sounds super but with a hormone problem. I’d either get a vet to investigate hormones and treat for ulcers or go down the grass effected route or actually all 3. But I’m a “to the bitter end” kind of person but there’s so much right with her that I’d have to investigate the rest.

Yep me too, I’ve poured massive of energy into trying to work out what the issue could be with little success.
•ulcers scoped for within 6 weeks of having her, found grade 4 put down to being a stressy type. Scoped clear within a month and still clear a month later. Basically re-introduced the concept of the saddle etc to re-condition responses. Can tack up and rug without actual danger now.
•2 months into regumate trial currently no change, been on oestress previously.
•currently on alfalfa free, soya free, low starch, low sugar diet. Just a handful of chaff to carry calmer, regumate and gut sup.
•back x ray clean, 5 months monthly physio to check for soreness no major change.

hock

Visit site
Yep me too, I’ve poured massive of energy into trying to work out what the issue could be with little success.
•ulcers scoped for within 6 weeks of having her, found grade 4 put down to being a stressy type. Scoped clear within a month and still clear a month later.
•2 months into regumate trial currently no change, been on oestress previously.
•currently on alfalfa free, soya free, low starch, low sugar diet. Just a handful of chaff to carry calmer, regumate and gut sup.
•back x ray clean, 5 months monthly physio to check for soreness no major change.

Oh I like you ? .. any concern they might be hind gut ulcers? Is she an alpha mare the herd boss? My mare was like yours but without the talent. Turns out to be a tumor on her left ovary. But she was very very extreme.