Today's session lists of progress

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I would love to see her ride with a shorter stirrup so that she doesn't have to rely on her hands so much. It would also enable her to get her leg on on and actually start to ride him forward into the contact. At present she is loosing her balance, and too reliant on her hands.

I don't really see an improvement. And thw horse is quite hollow at times and resistant.

Auslander

Visit site
The problem is she is wrong. It doesn't matter that my opinion is different to hers if she its still wrong.

I was talking to her at the time hence why I didn't copy every other posters name that was spouting a load of rubbish. Im not bulling her, same as when she tried to take the p*** out of me she wasn't being a bully to me, just I took it on the chin and she played the 'oh i'm such a victim card'

I wasn't paying the victim card. I was just interested in why it was me you had a pop at and no-one else. I've spent many many years teaching, riding and training,with a pretty reasonable record of improving people and horses, and I generally do my best to be helpful on here (except when someone winds me up - I'm only human) If you read through my previous posts, I think you'll get an idea of who I am, and what I contribute. What about you then? What makes you so infinitely superior that its ok for you to spout forth in such a disrespectful manner. I don't see much in the way of helpful contributions on here - or insights into your vast depths of equestrian knowledge.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
The problem is she is wrong. It doesn't matter that my opinion is different to hers if she its still wrong.

I was talking to her at the time hence why I didn't copy every other posters name that was spouting a load of rubbish. Im not bulling her, same as when she tried to take the p*** out of me she wasn't being a bully to me, just I took it on the chin and she played the 'oh i'm such a victim card'

Go on then Goldenmint - tell us what it was that Auslander said that was just 'wrong'. I assume I also fit into the category of others like her who are spouting rubbish so feel free to point out the error of my ways too - I am happy to be enlightened :)

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
No, others have expressed their opinions, whereas you have stated that, opinion aside, Auslander is wrong. I was interested in where she went from expressing her opinion, which others may or may not agree with, to being just 'wrong'

Moomin1

Visit site
I would love to see her ride with a shorter stirrup so that she doesn't have to rely on her hands so much. It would also enable her to get her leg on on and actually start to ride him forward into the contact. At present she is loosing her balance, and too reliant on her hands.

I don't really see an improvement. And thw horse is quite hollow at times and resistant.

I would LOVE to see you ride this horse. You really do come across as an amazing rider.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Are you being deliberately obtuse.

No, but I think you are. Throughout this thread you have made a selection of vague comments that are almost impossible to decipher any meaning from, interspersed with rude, obnoxious remarks directed at specific posters. So why don't you just spit out whatever it is that you are actually trying to say, that is of course assuming you do actually have anything of value to say at all.

Many people have commented on these threads, whether they like the rider, don't like the rider, or, like me, sit on the fence a little bit. I respect almost all their opinions in one way or another, and find most thoughtful, well reasoned and really interesting, so I genuinely have no idea where you are coming from.

Auslander

Visit site
The thing is you can't argue with stupid.

You are both being pedantic, I don't know what you want me to say. You are wrong with your posts about this horse and this trainer. Your opinion while still being yours, is incorrect. It might be right to you because it is 'your' opinion but what your saying is wrong.

It is very hard to explain to you when you are intent on being so pedantic.

Just because you think its wrong, doesn't mean it is. I just want to know why you are so convinced that you are right, when some very experienced people on here are of the same opinion as me/Dab Dab et al?

Tell you what. I have a PSG//Inter1 horse who is quite complicated to ride. Perhaps you'd like to put your money where your mouth is, and earn yourself some HHO credibility points by coming over to have a go on him. If you can prove that you can walk the walk, your attempts to talk the talk may meet with a more favourable response. Serious offer...

Auslander

Visit site
And as I'm already being "pedantic" - I can freely suggest that you go and purchase a great little book called "Eats, Shoots and Leaves". It will help

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
They are not difficult to understand if you have an ounce of intelligence or basic understanding of irony.

Go back and re read my posts you might learn something.

I am many things, but stupid is not one of them. I have re read your posts from this thread and all you say is how stupid and incorrect other people are.

Hollycatt

Visit site
Thanks for posting another video OP and for asking your trainer the questions we all posed. It was good of her to answers :)

As Milliepops says, often the feel when you are on the horse and what it looks like can be very different, but being able to see how it looks I think is invaluable. Does the trainer watch the videos of herself riding Armas? I just wonder if she realises just how behind the vertical he actually is, particularly since on long reining it isn't so much of a problem. Perhaps it be worth her having a lesson with her own trainer while she rides him? I often think 2 heads are better than one, and although your trainer is a good one, no matter how good or experienced we are, having someone on the ground with a lot of experience to help us iron out problems or give us fresh ideas on how to solve problems can be very useful.

Also the comments about using collected work as a tool rather than for the sake of teaching him to passage, for example, are really good (and what I thought she'd say tbh!). I never get the impression that she is aiming to produce a test-ready advanced horse :tongue3: I do think that is working because when she rides out of a collected bit he appears to produce the best working trot/canter of the whole session.

I agree with the reasoning re collection, but I don't actually think the trainer uses the collection in this way very much. There are times he has been sent forward straight after being collected and I have thought WOW - he has engaged - used his back and his hind end and consequently the front end lightened and sorted itself out. He really looked totally amazing. I only see her do this a couple of times a session though.

There are very many different ways to solve a problem, and the choice of method very much depends on the rider, the horse and the owner. I appreciate James showing us these videos and asking his trainer these questions as it allows us all to learn, Perhaps things are not done the way we ourselves would do things, but that in itself can allow us to stop and think as to how we would actually solve the problem, or at the very least it allows us to say 'if I had that problem I would not solve it like this but look for something else'. The horse, the owner and the trainer in question here all seem happy :) What more can anyone ask for?

fabikat

New User
Visit site
Thank you Hollycat for your considered post.

Not sure why there is always so much squabbling on here though.
Each is entitled to their opinion, right or wrong. Can we not leave it at that and let people comment on these threads without prejudice?

Allover

Visit site
Just because you think its wrong, doesn't mean it is. I just want to know why you are so convinced that you are right, when some very experienced people on here are of the same opinion as me/Dab Dab et al?

Tell you what. I have a PSG//Inter1 horse who is quite complicated to ride. Perhaps you'd like to put your money where your mouth is, and earn yourself some HHO credibility points by coming over to have a go on him. If you can prove that you can walk the walk, your attempts to talk the talk may meet with a more favourable response. Serious offer...

So it is perfectly acceptable for the "likers" of this training method to tell the "non likers" that they are wrong and to insinuate that they cannot possibly have the experience or knowledge to make any kind of informed decision on how this horse is worked but woe betide any of the "non likers" doing the same.

If my memory serves me correctly Auslander you have written before that you would not want her riding your horses and that her methods are not what you would necessarily use yourself. You also claim that there are improvements in this horses way of going which I strongly disagree with. The only plus point over the last 16/17 hours of training is that he has learnt to balance himself despite the fact he is continually being asked to go off balance. After listening to her reasoning as to why she "collects" the horse the way she does did make strike a cord with me. I remember Anky VG saying the same thing when asked about her use of Rollkur - you make it as difficult as you can for the horse and then when you "release" them from the restriction of Rollkur they will be much freer in their movement. I personally do not use discomfort or force in any aspect of my horse care and sure as hell would not use it in my riding. I have learnt a better way.

We should also look at the bio-mechanics of the horse and the detrimental effect this style of riding has on the horse, I am presuming most of us know about the dorsal/ventral chain of muscles and how that is used when the horse is working correctly and more importantly how things go wrong when they are not? Interestingly enough I had a horse diagnosed with KS and the vet (German) told me that there is a far higher incidence of return to work with the SJ horses that with the dressage horses because they work them better through the back. Go figure!

James I would be interested to know whether your vet has watched your horse under saddle as well as in hand/lunging as to me he looks a completely different horse. I do not think he is lame but do think that the riding method employed can make him look like he is.

_GG_

Visit site
Why the descent into such unpleasantness?

Come on people, there is a horse at the heart of this....whatever your personal opinion, if you go about sharing it by squabbling and nit picking at each other, any use or benefit that could come from your experience is being lost.

It is extremely perfunctory to argue without explanation and I see little useful explanation from the loudest posters on this thread.

I've been extremely busy lately, but am going to have a quick catch up on the videos later and see what all this crap is about.

I think some growing up needs to be done and along with it, the realisation that perhaps none of us are right or wrong. In fact, I'd put money on it as regardless of our experience, we are not there, we are not riding this horse and so we DO NOT KNOW everything.

All we can do is discuss and share opinions. We shouldn't judge each other on them.

Armas

Visit site
Hollycatt thank you for your post interesting whilst being diplomatic and informative.
GG balanced and sensible as ever.
Auslander I am sorry that you are getting this uncalled for stick.
DabDab balanced and interesting
Rhino where have you been hiding ?
Allover being able to articulate ones view with out being rude that was the nub of the issue. As for the vet he is due out at the yard in September and will ask him for his opinion.
Goldmint rude posts get you no where.
Millipops articulate as ever.
Chocolate tea pot ;-)

If I have missed any one else I am sorry.

Auslander

Visit site
If my memory serves me correctly Auslander you have written before that you would not want her riding your horses and that her methods are not what you would necessarily use yourself. You also claim that there are improvements in this horses way of going which I strongly disagree with.

I am getting really fed up with being a target on here. I have not said that I would not want her to ride my horse - I wouldn't have a problem with her riding him, and he'd probably go beautifully for her. I have said that there are things I'd do differently - and I stand by that. I think the horse has improved personally - and I genuinely thing he has, in some areas. You disagree, and thats fine.

Armas

Visit site
Wow goldmint I cannot believe you are turning down the opportunity to ride a top quality horse, I would have loved to have had that offer made to me. Auslander any chances of that when I am in the UK ?
Goldmint as you say you have competed to a decent standard I for one would be interested in seeing some of your results.

Last edited:

Auslander

Visit site
Wow goldmint I cannot believe you are turning down the opportunity to ride a top quality horse, I would have loved to have had that offer made to me. Auslander any chances of that when I am in the UK ?

It might actually be a good thing James - he will give you a good idea of how a horse working correctly should feel. You may need velcro pants on for the first few minutes though!

Auslander

Visit site
As a general piece of info - as I am sure its not only the one particular poster wondering. As can be read on numerous previous posts - I am honest about my shortcomings (Wobble and Flop!),do not profess to being a competition rider of any note. I can ride and improve a horse that is working at a decent level, but do not compete, have never seriously competed, and unless Alf decides to become 100% sound and I can't resist showing him off - I never will.
What I do have in my favour is many years of training with some fantastic trainers, years of opportunities to ride amazing horses, a thirst for knowledge and self improvement that has seen me travel the world, working with said amazing horses, and absorbing every little bit of information I could get from trainers, riders and other inspiring horse people. My key skill is the ability to pass on what I've learned from them, and without wishing to sound up myself - I am pretty good as a trainer. As a rider - I am not as good as I would like to be, and that's why I don't compete, or even ride very seriously nowadays.

Goldenstar

Visit site

Goldenstar

Visit site
Indeed that was a very expensive horse! sorry ponio.

No not my yard of course, I don't have a yard. I also don't have horses.

Im just a weirdo looking for people to offer a ride on their horse so I can meet them ;-)

Its a shame Auslander now seems to have retracted that offer.

Every one is allowed a mistake now and again , I would not let you with half a km of my horses.