Tokyo Eventing Cross Country

Wishfilly

Visit site
I definitely remember that Badminton, and it was not pretty to watch.

But equally, he has definitely learnt from it and appears to have changed a lot, and I never seen or heard anything similar since?

I also think a lot of people were looking for a reason to dislike him, and whilst it was not pretty, I think it might have been excused or minimised more in another rider. I have certainly seen dangerous riding of other kinds excused in other riders which could have had really serious consequences for horse and rider.

DiNozzo

Visit site
Laura Collet is going to do lots of good for the sport too. I think she's a bit emotional sometimes, but her interview was gold star for Olympic bumpf. She's such a classy rider, so little on these enormous horses but she just lets them get on with it and do their job.

She's been really lovely about Oli too in this interview.

Wishfilly

Visit site
Laura Collet is going to do lots of good for the sport too. I think she's a bit emotional sometimes, but her interview was gold star for Olympic bumpf. She's such a classy rider, so little on these enormous horses but she just lets them get on with it and do their job.

She's been really lovely about Oli too in this interview.

Yes, I thought that as well, really good interview from her.

HashRouge

Visit site
I agree, I was just thinking that Ballaghmor Class looks a completely different shape to the one we saw at that Badminton.

ETA: Not trying to say he was in bad shape then at all, just that he is soo much fitter and stronger now, with age and more 5* runs.
I agree completely, I thought Ballaghmor Class looked extraordinary - clearly so, so fit!

Wishfilly

Visit site
Yes anyone who has a pin can appeal. Results still saying 11 pens and it’s 8pm there…

Yeah.

I think it's really tricky because maybe the ground jury will have a different angle which shows contact with the jump? I think videos can sometimes be deceiving? But it is interesting we haven't seen it at all?

There is so much at stake here, they need to get the decision right.

Wishfilly

Visit site
Does anybody know the exact rules around appeals and pins? Must there clearly be no contact with the fence? Or is it just if the pin going would have prevented a fall?

Wishfilly

Visit site
Obviously if Michael loses the jumping penalties he will go into individual first but Germany still wouldn't be in a team medal position due to Sandra's penalties.

Reactions: Kat

Wishfilly

Visit site
Cant say he didn’t try! Appeal has been denied according to his Instagram!

Gutting for him, but the jury must have some evidence he hit the fence?

Did anyone watch his round? Did you see the jump where he got the penalty?

No, we didn't, but the fence went softly for a lot of riders. If there was any contact at all and they removed the penalties, they'd have to do it for quite a few riders.

But I think it would help if they released the footage in some way.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
they said last night that they put the yellow pins on that fence, so must have intended it to fall from a lighter tap than you can otherwise get away with.

one of those rules where it's great if you get away with something that would have probably tipped you up otherwise, and can continue... (we saw a fair few of those) and feels pretty unfair if you were only slightly off and would have been a-ok if the fence had been of solid construction and able to take a clobbering.

HashRouge

Visit site
they said last night that they put the yellow pins on that fence, so must have intended it to fall from a lighter tap than you can otherwise get away with.

one of those rules where it's great if you get away with something that would have probably tipped you up otherwise, and can continue... (we saw a fair few of those) and feels pretty unfair if you were only slightly off and would have been a-ok if the fence had been of solid construction and able to take a clobbering.
I suppose we could also say that as one of the last to go, Michael did at least know how easily that fence was going, unlike some of the earlier riders. So while I am a bit sorry for him, he should have been well aware that you couldn't get away with anything on that fence.

Wishfilly

Visit site

Agreed.

Although I think Micheal Jung is implying he didn't touch the fence at all, and the pins just went on their own?

Reactions: TPO

TPO

Visit site

I guess the pins dropping over a fence like that for a "strong rub" also increases the chance of the horse being sound the next day.

They could wallop a fence and survive but face the repercussions the next day with a sore horse.

It's so hard to get the balance right