Tokyo Eventing Cross Country

Lexi_

Visit site
So, should I watch on iPlayer and where do I FF to miss out poor Jet Set :( ?

We didn’t see anything of the Jet Set incident - the coverage was of the Japanese rider falling off, then went to a hold on course which I think everyone assumed was due to that, then very slight glimpses of some screens/a horse ambulance. Anyway if you want to FF through that bit, it’s near the end, when Andrew Hoy is on course.

dreams579

Visit site
yep, everyone jumps the first round, inc individuals, and that decides the team result, then top 25 combinations jump again for the individual.
Oh god. That doesn’t bode well for the nerves. Not sure if I’ll be able to watch!! ????And not sure it’s really entirely fair on these horses to make them go twice! They aren’t used to it for starters and I the heat/humidity? Who thought that would be a good idea?!

Lexi_

Visit site
Oh god. That doesn’t bode well for the nerves. Not sure if I’ll be able to watch!! ????And not sure it’s really entirely fair on these horses to make them go twice! They aren’t used to it for starters and I the heat/humidity? Who thought that would be a good idea?!

I hate it! I’ve got a feeling it’s to do with some sort of weird Olympic distinction about not giving out two sets of medals for the same performance?

fetlock

Visit site
Fingers and everything else crossed, that our three hold it together tomorrow under the pressure.
Might as well aim high and hope we come home with team gold and all three individual medals.

Wishfilly

Visit site

The Olympic rules say that individual and team medals can't be given for the same event. The showjumping is running in the evening, so hopefully not too hot and there is a longer than usual gap after the XC (plus the XC was shorter than usual).

This system was also used at Rio at least and worked ok.

Not sure what the alternative would be?

Michen

Visit site
I can't help it but I'd just LOVE Laura and London 52 to win Olympic individual gold over Oli (who would also be thoroughly deserving).

In June she was SJ steward at Ascott and sent Boggle and I in for our round with such a big warm smile, how many other olympic riders are volunteering at their local BE one day?

TheMule

Visit site

They have all trained for it. The second round is shorter and less technical.

Reactions: TPO

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Yes it was Lexi. But it annoys me that it’s biased towards good show jumpers. I’d rather them do a little Burghley young event horse type thing with a bit of everything!

Did we not see MJ go over the fence that he had penalties at? I thought I had and it wasn’t the cleanest jump. But I was dog tired by that point.

Interesting re your Oli comments. I met him at a clinic he wasn’t teaching once. I couldn’t ride it in the end and he came and said hello to everyone watching in the café. He worked in a riding school in his early days while training, and really polished his people skills. I also remember the Harry Meade incident at Burghley, it was far worse than the Oli incident at Badminton (in both incidents they rode past me on v tired horses). But Harry has become everyone’s darling. Anyway I think this Olympics will possibly put it all to bed!

It’s also interesting that you mentioned other top riders not being so nice. It’s kind of surprised me how little some of the others long/short listed have congratulated these inexperienced team members on their performance. The Fox-Pitt camp rave on and on about their working pupil, which is lovely, but there really isn’t much mention of their own nation - which is a bit sad imo considering how much support they’ve had over the years. Same for Pippa, Piggy and Nicola. I’ve been a little shocked. I thought they’d have been publicly supportive.

HashRouge

Visit site
Yes it was Lexi. But it annoys me that it’s biased towards good show jumpers. I’d rather them do a little Burghley young event horse type thing with a bit of everything!

Did we not see MJ go over the fence that he had penalties at? I thought I had and it wasn’t the cleanest jump. But I was dog tired by that point.

Interesting re your Oli comments. I met him at a clinic he wasn’t teaching once. I couldn’t ride it in the end and he came and said hello to everyone watching in the café. He worked in a riding school in his early days while training, and really polished his people skills. I also remember the Harry Meade incident at Burghley, it was far worse than the Oli incident at Badminton (in both incidents they rode past me on v tired horses). But Harry has become everyone’s darling. Anyway I think this Olympics will possibly put it all to bed!

It’s also interesting that you mentioned other top riders not being so nice. It’s kind of surprised me how little some of the others long/short listed have congratulated these inexperienced team members on their performance. The Fox-Pitt camp rave on and on about their working pupil, which is lovely, but there really isn’t much mention of their own nation - which is a bit sad imo considering how much support they’ve had over the years. Same for Pippa, Piggy and Nicola. I’ve been a little shocked. I thought they’d have been publicly supportive.
A friend of mine was a groom for W F-P and said he dislikes Oli T and refused to be on the same team as him. I have no idea if that is true, but she did groom for W F-P for a while.

TheMule

Visit site

There are multiple posts on the Fox-Pitt social media wishing the brits luck and celebrating their performances. Piggy did a lengthy vlog where she wished them luck multiple times. I don’t follow the others on social media but I think your comments are pretty harsh!

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I scrolled through their Facebook pages to double check before writing that and seriously didn’t see much in the line of comments over the last week or so, but yes perhaps I’m tired and I did expect people to disagree with me.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site

no, they showed him at fence 11, then cut away and returned to him at 16 when the 11 pens were showing but it wasn't picked up on Disco+ commentary for a while. BBC had lost interest by then!

TPO

Visit site
Pippa isnt very active on social media afaik.

Piggy has done a post and a vlog supporting the team.

I've seen insta stories of other eventers setting alarms to get up to watch the eventing etc. I guess a lot of them are also out competing here this weekend?

ETA far from up to speed with SM and I dont use twitter but quite a few people use instagram stories. They are only viewable for 24hrs and dont appear on the page permanently. The messages I've seen have been on stories sp you have to either follow that person or actively go to watch the story. That might be why it appears that there are no messages on SM?

quizzie

Visit site
[QUOTE="

It’s also interesting that you mentioned other top riders not being so nice. It’s kind of surprised me how little some of the others long/short listed have congratulated these inexperienced team members on their performance. The Fox-Pitt camp rave on and on about their working pupil, which is lovely, but there really isn’t much mention of their own nation - which is a bit sad imo considering how much support they’ve had over the years. Same for Pippa, Piggy and Nicola. I’ve been a little shocked. I thought they’d have been publicly supportive.[/QUOTE]

Many, if not most of them will have been eventing multiple horses themselves this week/weekend (eg Burgham), often in areas with lousy mobile/internet signal…..I think it is a little unrealistic to expect them to be updating their social media accounts immediately.
They will also be waiting and keeping fingers firmly crossed for the 2nd horse inspection and then SJ before getting too over excited… as will know from bitter experience that there is plenty that could go wrong yet!

myheartinahoofbeat

Visit site
Just rewatching on bbc

Enjoying Ian and Nick's commentary much more then D+. I think Rishi has been brilliant and great match with Alex's "layperson" questions; both great presenters. Can still hear those blinking cicadas!!!! ???
Snap, I've just been doing the same.
It's been fascinating hearing Alex's questions and therefore a 'lay persons' take on our sport. We are all so horsey on here we probably don't think of it from another perspective. I think Rishi gave him some excellent answers.

Reactions: TPO