Tokyo Pentathlon SJ

Equi

Visit site
Jhons also lovely

still not read the comments lol

feel bad for some of the riders tho I can feel that fear they must feel just thinking about doing it.

Fred66

Visit site
I think it's a horrid part of the competition and makes it almost a lottery who wins. The horse part should be replace with another sport or reduced to a quadrathlon, imo.
All the horses are schooled and competent at the height of fences in the competition. There is an element of luck as some will ride better than others but largely this round is to test the horsemanship of the competitors and if the competitor is lacking in ability then the probability is that this round could damage their medal hopes. The point of each round is to find the best all round competitor across the disciplines.

I would agree that if a horse fails to complete a round with one rider or is judged to be not fit to jump again then an enforced replacement should happen.

The reason that GB tends to do well in MP is that most of our representatives come through from pony club and are accomplished riders that take up the other disciplines, rather than the other way round.

Equi

Visit site
Oh gosh. In tears for the German lady/for saint. I don’t think it’s fair to have let saint boy continue as he is clearly more suited to a better standard of rider (again all of these athletes are way better than I am but I’ll never be aiming to ride that course on that standard of horse!!!) Now off to the comments!

Last edited:

Bernster

Visit site
Poor sportsmanship from the Irish rider, Coyle - jumped off, let the horse go and stormed off.

Oh dear, just seen that last round. Horrible to watch. Poor rider. Poor horse.

Last edited:

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
All the horses are schooled and competent at the height of fences in the competition. There is an element of luck as some will ride better than others but largely this round is to test the horsemanship of the competitors and if the competitor is lacking in ability then the probability is that this round could damage their medal hopes. The point of each round is to find the best all round competitor across the disciplines.

I would agree that if a horse fails to complete a round with one rider or is judged to be not fit to jump again then an enforced replacement should happen.

The reason that GB tends to do well in MP is that most of our representatives come through from pony club and are accomplished riders that take up the other disciplines, rather than the other way round.

I'm sorry, I don't think it's fair on the horses or a good way to decide a 5 part athletic and skill competition. Horses are not bikes, they perform differently for different riders. I saw my mare behave very differently for apparently similarly competent riders while being viewed for sale. I told two they needed to dismount and stop the viewing. I don't know why people allow their horses to be used for this jumping competition, I wouldn't put one I owned through it.

Fred66

Visit site
I'm sorry, I don't think it's fair on the horses or a good way to decide a 5 part athletic and skill competition. Horses are not bikes, they perform differently for different riders. I saw my mare behave very differently for apparently similarly competent riders while being viewed for sale. I told two they needed to dismount and stop the viewing. I don't know why people allow their horses to be used for this jumping competition, I wouldn't put one I owned through it.
I would agree that it is not fair to the horses to have incompetent riders on them and that MP should do something to assess/grade riding skills (maybe the level they are allowed to jump at is altered and the scoring altered accordingly ie fully competent up to 120cm earns max 300 points, ok up to 90-100cm max 150 points and inadequate no points awarded. This would force competitors to focus more training time on the riding.
However this sport is unique and the riding test should be influential. If someone can barely swim then you would not expect them to be competing at Olympic level, and similarly with the ride.

HashRouge

Visit site
Yes, that was what someone said. She also could have asked to use a reserve horse too.
I went to go and look this up in the end, because it just didn't sound right. The UIPM rules state that the leader draws their horse first - they don't get to choose https://www.uipmworld.org/sites/default/files/2017_uipm_competition_rules_-_mp_riding_0.pdf. The rules also say that you can only choose to use a reserve horse if your allocated horse has refused/ run-out four times OR if they have been eliminated after 2 rider falls. Saint Boy actually only refused three times, and there isn't anything about what if the horse is eliminated for refusing to move and running the time down! I thought I'd seen somewhere a quote from Schleu's coach where he said that they had requested the reserve horse but been told they couldn't use it because Saint Boy had actually only refused three times. Seems bonkers, but there you go!

Skib

sites.google.com
I have not watched. But over the years I have noticed that most horse owners get accustomed to their own horse and lack the RS experience of simply riding any horse they are given. Was discussing this with OH yesterday as cowboys owned their own saddle, a valuable bit of equipment, but rode the horse they were allotted by the employer. Which fits the Olympics.

I tend to bond with the horse I hack and found it hard yesterday in a top class lesson to really like and communicate with the different (privately owned) horse I was riding. Physically a much better horse.
I intend to watch this on catch up. If I can work out the links.

Teaboy

Visit site
I don’t think there’s any excuse for the way the majority of the riders rode. These are supposed to be the best of the best in their chosen sport, not just Tom, dick or Harry down the road. These people should clearly be working a lot more on their riding ability regardless of the fact they have other areas to practice. The one area that involves another living being as part of your performance should be the area you know you can perform in because you have developed the skill and not just rely on the horses honesty like it’s a machine or piece of equipment. It did no favours in regards to changing some of the publics opinion on equestrian sports as a whole.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Looking at some of the comments on social media, most are not differentiating between this and other equestrian sports with lots of comments about the cruelty transporting the horses to Japan and worries about what will happen when they get him home.
which just shows how poorly understood it all is.

let's hope the men managed to do a better job today. Saint Boy not in the draw today.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
This thread reminds me of the other one when some posters got the hump at the suggestion that they first have a sit on a schoolmaster type before being allowed to ride a potentially sensitive horse that is up for sale.

Just see how much the bad riding had upset some of these horses, and that is with the riders' coaches assisting them in the 20 minute warm up.

If a potential purchaser rocked up to try your horse blethering that they were an Olympic level pentathlete, you'd assume that they could actually ride :oops:.

Mule

Visit site
Headline just coming through from sky sports: German coach thrown out of Olympics for punching horse.

Makes me sick to my stomach.

All the headlines last night were along the lines of: Olympic dream destroyed by disobedient horse.

Poor bloody horse. Wonder how the owner feels.
It's bizarre to me that people who should know better are putting 100% of the blame on the horse. Sadly the coach seems to have the same lack of understanding as the general public. The horse couldn't be expected to do what the rider requested when the rider had lost emotional control.

I would be absolutely furious if I owned that horse. It will be interesting to see how this plays out in the media. If enough media attention is given to it, there may well be trouble for equestrianism in the games.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
this rider looks like someone who can do a decent job of it on a sort of schoolmaster that does it all and comes unstuck on a horse that needs a bit more input from the rider. anyone know what i mean? on the perfect stride and the perfect canter it's not a bad picture. anything slightly wrong and the wheels come off.

if the next rider with that horse is decent then i don't think it'll have an impact tho?