Tokyo Pentathlon SJ

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
so i think the germans have a strong system for rider education don't they? bit like the french with their gallop exams? the french women were pretty good yesterday.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I have rarely been as angry watching a horse sport on TV as I was yesterday watching this the riding needs dropping from this sport .
Those poor horses .
In many countries finding enough horses who could do this job is not that hard but clearly in Japan it was .

milliepops

Visit site
i don't know. i think these horses are up to standard, they are extremely genuine. if the riders ride forward in a rhythm and sit securely they are doing the job admirably. it's the wobbly seats and bad hands that cause problems i think.

i agree though it either needs to be dumped or they need to reconsider some kind of assessment of ability before starting.

milliepops

Visit site
so to me that chinese rider wasn't the neatest but you could see some technical proficiency, he rode forward and the horse had confidence in him in a way that some of the women weren't able to achieve. and you could see him react and see a stride etc.

i think so far mostly the men are a bit more go-getting about this, they aren't always getting the striding but the horses aren't doubting them as much.

Reactions: Kat

J&S

Visit site
I have not seen any of this years competitors for MP but I do remember seeing it in the past and being pretty horrified at the standard of riding. I am really sad and sorry that things have not changed for the better in general.

milliepops

Visit site
i feel like the second round riders will have an easier time than the women did because the horses aren't losing confidence in this round, the riding is a fair bit better in general but also the men seem very BOLD!!

HashRouge

Visit site
Shame for this guatamalian rider as he seems to be a nice rider.

apart from 3 so far, the riding has been so much better.
Yes and Guatemala isn't a country with much Olympic representation at all! He was very nice to the horse, shame about the fall!

The Spanish rider was a bit...err...kamikaze!!

milliepops

Visit site
Yes and Guatemala isn't a country with much Olympic representation at all! He was very nice to the horse, shame about the fall!

The Spanish rider was a bit...err...kamikaze!!
kamikaze is the word :eek: i wonder if they watched the women's sticky rounds and thought that pace and bravery was a better approach (I mean he got round o_O)

Reactions: Kat

southerncomfort

Visit site
The sky sports report was much more measured and mentioned that their had been a big negative reaction on SM which led to the German coach being thrown out.

It's also been reported on BBC sport FB page where their is well over 1000 comments from people who found the whole thing upsetting to watch.

Kadastorm

Visit site
The Spanish rider, although a little hair raising, may have decided it was best to give a forward ride depending on what he was told in the warm up by the owner/rider.

both Mexicans not up to scratch and I wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t see Quidoso again.

Chilean rider also isn’t up to it and also has a broken rein! Surely he should be allowed to go again!?! Not his fault, reins shouldn’t break like that!

fetlock

Visit site
I haven't watched it this time, nor in 2016 but watched avidly at London 2012, and remember it being a bit of a car crash (remember one horse and rider jumping the exit barrier leaving the ring)

Last edited:

milliepops

Visit site
The Spanish rider, although a little hair raising, may have decided it was best to give a forward ride depending on what he was told in the warm up by the owner/rider.
yep. if in doubt ride forward seems to work for these horses, they might have a pole but they are honest and they seem to respond well to it.

Fred66

Visit site
As I mentioned yesterday, I do hope they replace riding with cycling or whatever they fancy.
At the moment, as someone on here said yesterday, the horses are tools in this sport. Wrong attitude and wrong sent message!
Might as well just get rid of the sport altogether in that case !!
Make the riders pass an assessment and alter their standing accordingly. But if you get rid of the riding then it becomes a different sport altogether

milliepops

Visit site
Might as well just get rid of the sport altogether in that case !!
Make the riders pass an assessment and alter their standing accordingly. But if you get rid of the riding then it becomes a different sport altogether
yeah agreed. I think it's OK for the horses to be the "tools" which they must be, because the athletes have no involvement with them beyond their 20 min slot... *provided* they are adequately competent. It's really obvious which of them have put enough into their riding training, and the others should be doing the same.