Tokyo Pentathlon SJ

Fred66

Visit site
If they drop the equine element then it is no longer modern pentathlon but a new sport and as such should be applying to the IOC for inclusion/approval not just assuming that they will be accepted.

Otherwise you leave it open to all sports to change their format without sanctions.

Winters100

Visit site
I am pretty glad that they have decided not to use live animals. It seems to me that having horses ridden by people who do not know them, and have no real responsibility for them, is a huge risk when the stakes are so high. At some low level competition competitors would probably not mind retiring if it became evident that the horse was not happy, but at Olympic level this is not very likely. To me this seems to be a good decision.

Gingerwitch

Visit site
thank god we wont be exposed to any more sights of horses like saint boy giving up and basically shutting down with rider incapable of either making a decision to retire or not compete

cause thats horses, the lack of horsemanship of the rider made it 100 times worse

the straw that broke the camels back

humility in the face of another living creature saying no can be dealt with by admitting defeat and there is no shame in that

its the governing body of MP that has bought this about, by their failure to see how bad it was, inaction or ignorance, the saint boy episode was the last straw
Does anyone know how the horse is ?

Xmas lucky

Visit site
What the German girl done was awful. The problem is a lot of people will try and get horses out of the olympics in general. It could ruin that whole equestrian sport get horse banned permanently.

MagicMelon

Visit site
What the German girl done was awful. The problem is a lot of people will try and get horses out of the olympics in general. It could ruin that whole equestrian sport get horse banned permanently.

True. However the other equestrian sports are sports in their own right. They'd be far harder to be got rid of. Especially as the Olympics included an equestrian element very early on in its history. They will however need to seriously up their welfare regulations IMO. So much nastiness still going on in all disiplines. I think they need to make quite a few changes, IMO the eventing dressage was far more enjoyable to watch than the pure dressage which to my untrained eye looks so damn uncomfortable for the horse. My OH refuses to watch pure high level dressage, hes from a horsey family too so I can only imagine what it looks like to unhorsey public. Eventing IMO needs the XC to be back to how it used to be - less technical, and more big beefy fences again. Surely there's more falls nowadays compared to before?

With regard this matter though I totally support the decision. What we watched was absolutely disgusting throughout, it wasnt just the German girl - 90% of them were terrible and those horses were being harmed. If that was top level of the sport then I cant imagine how bad it was at the lower levels. It had to be stopped.

Cutgrass

Visit site
I expect he went back to his normal life, it wasn't like he was a condemned horse. We don't get updates on any other horses used for pentathlon so I never understood why people were so suspicious about where he went etc.
In all honesty, he's privately owned and/or by a Japense jockey club of sorts, why would he be in the public eye?

I wouldn't expect a modern pentathlon horse to be in the public eye, but after what happened people from around the world enquired about his welfare. Pretty understandable. Then the picture that was put out looked like either an old photo or a different horse, hence people found that strange and are still wondering.

stangs

Visit site
I very much doubt his owners/riders want him in the public eye after the controversy. Not to mention, even if they’re posting pictures of him regularly, they’re probably doing so in Japanese and how many people here are regularly on Line or the Japanese side of Twitter etc.

[153312]

Visit site
I should clarify, I don't think he will have been euthanased or anything like that, but I do think it's a bit off that nowhere ever posted a believable update on his welfare given how many around the world were concerned about him.

teapot

Visit site
I should clarify, I don't think he will have been euthanased or anything like that, but I do think it's a bit off that nowhere ever posted a believable update on his welfare given how many around the world were concerned about him.

Did you not see the post on here that linked to him being ridden at home? It's buried in this thread.

[153312]

Visit site
I know there was a post of a horse purported to be him released not long after the pentathlon itself but don't recall any mention of his being ridden, no.

teapot

Visit site

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I had visions of a total wipeout type course which would be quite fun! but wikipedia has put me right.
i find this a bit of a weird move by UIPM. I think they could have driven improvements in the riding part by increasing penalties etc as previously discussed. making a bad ride put you out of contention early on and aligning with FEI on welfare of the horse etc could have been quite transformative.