Tokyo Showjumping thread

Kat

Visit site
Agree with all of that, I was really replying generally.

I also think that as a team qualifying event, you need to be getting teams through to the next round. At this rate they’re not going to even get the requisite numbers through, with teams now pulling out.

Yes the lack of a drop score could end up having the opposite effect to that intended if teams drop out.

On a more positive note Sweden are looking amazing, really good for a team medal. Beautiful riding and talented horses, showing that it can be done.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Yes the lack of a drop score could end up having the opposite effect to that intended if teams drop out.

On a more positive note Sweden are looking amazing, really good for a team medal. Beautiful riding and talented horses, showing that it can be done.

I’d quite happily give the gold to them right now and call it a day.

Kat

Visit site
Shame about the early pole.

The related distance down the middle of the arena is really tough isn't it?

The later poles were entirely fair.

They aren't out of their depth though, more like it should be, some poles falling but no one looking unhappy or dangerous.

humblepie

Visit site
Good recovery by Harry after the other day - it was almost like the time causing those poles towards the end. Not sure I like how it all gets reset to zero tomorrow - if that is right. Think it should carry over and reward consistency.

Squeak

Visit site
I still think that was brilliant from Harry - shame about the poles but given he retired in the individual, to come back from that at such a young age and give his horse a good ride around what is clearly a tough course is really impressive. The pressure must be immense.

Completely agree. Especially given the trouble the course has been causing.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site

humblepie

Visit site
Noooo the Brazilian horse didn't deserve that pole. Quietly ridden and amazing only just outside the time although looked so slow.

NinjaPony

Visit site
Wait none of this carries over? That makes little sense to me, surely it should be a combined score over two days? I can’t keep up…

Annagain

Visit site
As I understand it the drop score was removed to make it easier for the casual viewer to understand. It is certainly having a detrimental effect on horse welfare though and I would be much happier with it back. Personally, I like the drama the drop score adds - a disaster for one rider brings another score into play without necessarily dropping teams out of it so team placings can change in the blink of an eye. The maths involved is no more difficult than decathlon or diving scores with the dropping of the top and bottom scores and averaging the others then multiplying by the difficulty level!

I get the downgrading of the Eventing because you can't change the height, but you can with the SJ. I think the qualifying could be over two rounds - one slightly lower to get down to 12 teams then a bigger round to go down to 8 in the final. Two rounds a day isn't too much for these horses who do a lot more in 'normal' three or four day shows. If there were concerns about that they could slightly shorten the courses.

Kat

Visit site
I agree that he did well to come back from retiring in the individual, and the poles later in the course were definitely due to chasing the time, he raced round a turn to take a wider line and went a bit flat afterwards I think.

He certainly looks good for the future.

Kat

Visit site
As I understand it the drop score was removed to make it easier for the casual viewer to understand. It is certainly having a detrimental effect on horse welfare though and I would be much happier with it back. Personally, I like the drama the drop score adds - a disaster for one rider brings another score into play without necessarily dropping teams out of it so team placings can change in the blink of an eye. The maths involved is no more difficult than decathlon or diving scores with the dropping of the top and bottom scores and averaging the others then multiplying by the difficulty level!

I get the downgrading of the Eventing because you can't change the height, but you can with the SJ. I think the qualifying could be over two rounds - one slightly lower to get down to 12 teams then a bigger round to go down to 8 in the final. Two rounds a day isn't too much for these horses who do a lot more in 'normal' three or four day shows. If there were concerns about that they could slightly shorten the courses.

I wondered about having the course in two parts (I can't remember the proper show jumping name for it) so a relatively straight forward first half then if they go clear round the first half they continue round the second half which is bigger and with a more demanding time.

Squeak

Visit site
Anyone else think that Lucinda reads comments about her commentary she's just apologised for calling a mare a he or vice versa again.

There's probably a team going through tweets live and telling her when she needs to say something.

I think there's probably a good chance she might see them herself too. I hope the unkind ones she isn't seeing as she's always come across as a lovely person who's willing everyone on.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
& if you have exceeded your H&H free articles like me the background report is here! horse eliminated under blood rule, blood on flank.

https://olympics.com/tokyo-2020/oly..._C67_EQU-------------------------------10.pdf

does anyone know anything about this h & h rule about exceeding the free articles? how does it work? i couldnt read anything last month and now its a new month i still cant.....or does it mean i can never read the free articles? seems very odd that they decided to do this for the olympics

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
does anyone know anything about this h & h rule about exceeding the free articles? how does it work? i couldnt read anything last month and now its a new month i still cant.....or does it mean i can never read the free articles? seems very odd that they decided to do this for the olympics
they did a trial thing i think where you could pay something like £1 and access everything for the duration. I didn't go for it, the news is all available elsewhere really.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Anyone else think that Lucinda reads comments about her commentary she's just apologised for calling a mare a he or vice versa again.

No, she was pointing out that Dante is a mare and that she (Lucinda) was accused of getting it wrong earlier in the week when she called her a “she”.

Reactions: Kat