Took the Red Head out for some schooling ..

littleme

Visit site
I think it is all too easy to judge when all you have is a snapshot in front of you, what people need to bear in mind is this is a milestone of improvement from the start of Ruby's "rehab", it is not the finished product nor was she asking for advice. What some may see as bad behaviour is a huge improvement for others and although I am sure many people lie about having had their horse checked I am equally sure Lucy is not one of these. Regardless it would probably be better if some people were less judgemental as you cannot know a horse better than its owner from a few minutes of video, especially when the owner has posted videos as a marked improvement. Maybe people need to be less suspicious and have a little more faith.

Totaly agree here!

foxy1

Visit site
Two things spring to mind here;

This forum is very 'cliquey' and regular posters will get a very different response to those not so well known (recent threads on NL about two horses weight spring to mind here)

secondly, those who haven't posted on this thread are noteable by their absence!

Lovely horse by the way :)

KatB

Visit site
lucemoose, Had to laugh watching those vids as I know the feeling well! She looks great though, and I remember when you firthgot her and she 10000 times worse, you;ve done a fantastic job with her. :)

charlie76

Visit site
Hmm, whenever you post a vid or picture on here where the horse is being less than perfect you always get jumped on by either the 'you can't ride brigade' or 'your horse is in pain and no I don't believe you have had the vet, dentist, physio, etc etc and if you have then they no nothing too' brigade!
Why can't people on this forum accept that in life you will come across horses with different attitudes, tempraments, behaviour?? Its just lucky that there are enough people that are happy and talented enough to take on their challenging ways and either improve it or live with it.
I was slated last week for asking for ways to improve a horses way of going, not because I am imcompetant just it sometimes nice to have other ideas from people. However, the horse in question is VERY tricky ( and yep- had everything checked and is fine) and alwayts has been hence why we got him, we have mamanged to get him from being unable to trot a circle without rearing to BE novice level ( with sucess) in less than 18 months but still got slated. Unless I am mistaken, none of us (or not many) and perfect riders with £X to spend on the perfect horse so let people do the best they can with what they have got!!

Last edited:

vikkiandmonica

Visit site
Hmm, whenever you post a vid or picture on here where the horse is being less than perfect you always get jumped on by either the 'you can't ride brigade' or 'your horse is in pain and no I don't believe you have had the vet, dentist, physio, etc etc and if you have then they no nothing too' brigade!
Why can't people on this forum accept that in life you will come across horses with different attitudes, tempraments, behaviour?? Its just lucky that there are enough people that are happy and talented enough to take on their challenging ways and either improve it or live with it.
I was slated last week for asking for ways to improve a horses way of going, not because I am imcompetant just it sometimes nice to have other ideas from people. However, the horse in question is VERY tricky ( and yep- had everything checked and is fine) and alwayts has been hence why we got him, we have mamanged to get him from being unable to trot a circle without rearing to BE novice level ( with sucess) in less than 18 months but still got slated. Unless I am mistaken, none of us (or not many) and perfect riders with £X to spend on the perfect horse so let people do the best they can with what they have got!!

Couldn't have worded it better myself!

diggerbez

Visit site

speak for yourself...i'm perfect :D:p

charlie55

Visit site
WOW!!! I love her, she reminds me so much of a gelding i used to have. He was overcooked as a youngster with the whitikers, but, until these people own such a horse, they will never accept thats just the way they are. When can i pick her up :D xx

Baggybreeches

www.photobucket.com
I saw this post last night but couldnt view the videos, I have just seen them and to be fair was a little disappointed............

I was expecting something truly horrific. What I saw was a sharp ginger mare, being a bit stroppy because she wasn't being allowed to hurtle at fences, she was being ridden in a controlled and sympathetic way. While I agree that the behaviour displayed should not be encouraged if the OP is dealing with it (by ignoring it, which IMO works eventually), what is the problem?
IF on the otherhand the OP was showing us the video of the horse potentially for sale to a PC teenager, then it might be different.
OP carry on with what you are doing and stick with your trainer she sounds ok to me!

And for those who claim she was stressed, yes she was but I bet anything she is a 'self winder' I have one and they are quite tiresome when in that frame of mind!

bensababy

Visit site
Two things spring to mind here;

This forum is very 'cliquey' and regular posters will get a very different response to those not so well known (recent threads on NL about two horses weight spring to mind here)

secondly, those who haven't posted on this thread are noteable by their absence!

Lovely horse by the way :)

Echo this.

OP love your mare and bravo for remaining so still.

Firewell

Visit site
Personally I think it's wonderful that the horse has such a commited long-term home. She obviously isn't 'easy' and so many people would have got rid of her by now, If it was NL she would have been told to 'pts' and to get a new horse 'because it costs the same to keep an easy horse as it does a tricky horse'. People bail out too quickly on their horses sometimes. We all know of somebody who if their horse doesn't win they sell it and get a new one. That's people with 'normal' horses!
The fact this person had persevered and built up a relationship with this horse is very commendable I think.
I see a good rider and a horse that is in immaculate condition over anything else. Perhaps those people who have put so much effort in to banging on about things they don't know about would be better off putting their time and effort into those horses that actually need help?! For instance by helping charities, educating people in third world countries how to look after their horses, campaigning to stop live export. Just a thought.

VictoriaEDT

www.equinedental.co.uk
Oh for christ sake people, why are you leaping on Lucy?

For those who seem to think Ruby is uncomfortable in the mouth, then I can vouch that she had her teeth done about 3 weeks ago. I did them.

Ruby is a really happy horse and loves her jumping - I would like to see some of you (to those who have slagged her off) ride her and sit to those bucks?!

nikkimariet

Visit site
I'm going to ignore the trolls that appear to have sneaked over from NL to CR.....

Super massive congrats for your sticky bum! Ignore the trolls! xoxo

Ginn

Visit site
Wowee - she could give T a run for her money with those bucks! Glad I'm not the only one with a particularly expressive mare and am very jealous of how quietly you ride her through it (I wobble and tense up despite years of "training" courtesy of madam!).

TS_

Visit site
I really like your mare OP, it probably sounds mad but, she's just my kind of horse. I think you do so well with her.
She reminds me a bit of my mare, who has real toys out of the pram moments but it's just the way she is.
I had a horse on loan over the summer who is a serious hunter, it's all he's ever done. I tried to introduce him to show jumping and the results were similar to this. He'd had his brain fried as a youngster (through hunting) and so just a pole on the floor made him loopy. I'm glad I never posted videos of him on here as I would have got much the same replies you have. He had everything checked but it was just simply the way he was because of his past. It was something I just had to accept and get on with if I wanted to do anything with him and work hard to help him and chill him out as much as I could.
She looks like the type that'll let you know if she's not enjoying it and from the nice things people have said about you I'm sure you'd know.
I hope peoples comments don't make you doubt yourself and that you continue to go on enjoying your mare :)