Topspec - what are your opinions

Bea332

Visit site
So basically, I'm struggling with my boy's feed.

We had the topspec lady come and weigh the horses the other week and she said that my boy could benefit from their performance lite balancer as he's a good-doer who can be either lazy or very energetic, but as we are eventing he needs enough in him to maintain stamina (before anyone jumps on me, I know stamina is based on fitness).

However, I've also heard really bad things about topspec feed?

I'm up to nearly finishing his current feed so thinking do I buy a bag of the topspec to make the slowly introduce it and make the switch? Do I stay the same or do I try something else?

Someone also recommended pure feed fibre balance and pink mash (he has a history of ulcers).

Horse feed is an absolute minefield because there's just so many options.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I tried one of there balancers and conditioning cubes on my arab years ago and they sent him off his rocker so not touched it since, his actually a really good doer now and doesn't need energy feed but I have fed him pink mash and after about a month wouldn't eat it and I have tried the pure feed range.

I think I tried the one with the balancer included and it was fine but he gained weight, but I think in general its a good feed just not right for him because to get the right amount of balancer you have to feed a fair bit which he doesn't need.

I would definitely use it again and I did feed the one without the balancer but then struggled to get it, I feed spillers speedy mash now with progressive earth pro balance and his fine on that.

I think if you have a good doer your better off buying a powder form balancer then you can feed the amount you want.

Sossigpoker

Visit site
Every horse is different. On the whole I don't think the quality of their ingredients warrants their price tag - lots of nutritionallly improved straw and also GM ingredients. Their balancer, if I recall correctly, is just a basic pony /horse nut with their vitamin mix added to it. So why not just use your own pony nut and buy their vitamin mix if you wanted to use it ?
Having said that, I'm using TopSpec TopChop Zero as partial hay replacer,.as much as I don't think the ingredients are great. And my horse eats it and hasn't suffered any ill effects.

I wouldn't use their products as first choice as I just think they are over priced and use low quality ingredients, but just because someone's horse has done well or badly on them , doesn't mean my horse will.

For what it's worth, I feed Honeychop lite and healthy and Spillers high fibre nuts and my boy does very well on those

LegOn

Visit site
Honestly I wanted to love it but I couldnt get on with it at all - I was advised to feed it for showing because it adds condition without blowing their heads, however I just couldnt get my horse to eat it all and found his condition got worse.

I subsequently found out a rider that is sponsored by them, doesnt even feed it to their horses!!!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I used to be a fan about 20 years ago but things have moved on, I only recommend the more barefoot friendly brands (such as Forageplus, Progressive Earth, Agrobs, Simple System etc) now especially as they're generally the only no-added-iron formulations.
Spillers daily/lite/performance/original/senior balancers have no added iron either.

I find Spillers more cost effective. but i do feed topspec turbo flakes to add some pizazz.

Bea332

Visit site
I'm not unhappy with what he's on now, but every time it gets to the bottom of the feed I always think is there something better I could be feeding him. I'm starting to think that it's not worth switching to Topspec from all of these replies and what I've read before.

FWIW, what would you feed him? Just so I can do a bit more research into the recommendations? I'm not very clued up on feed so he's basically still on what he's always been on which is Baileys Lo-Cal and chaff - the only switch I made was from original hi-fi to molasses free.

He's 8 years old, 14hh and body condition scored as 5 - he's lost weight since moving yards at the start of the year and is looking much better for it, but that's mainly due to not being on super lush grass and being exercised more. He's ridden 5 days a week with a mix of everything, but a focus on eventing. Barefoot and history of ulcers. He can be very spooky, forward & strong, but can equally be super lazy.

rextherobber

Visit site
I feed a good doer on Pure Fibre Balance and Pink Mash, it's fab for her. They both contain soya, don't know if that is an issue for you? Do like Pure Feeds, you can swop up or down their range depending on the horse's workload. Feed another Honeychop lite and healthy and a few Dengie Grass Pellets. There are so many options out there!
ETA ycbm recommended Aloe Vera juice, works for my ulcer prone one extremely well!

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
I've given up with balancers. My horses neverook or feel different when being fed them . I now just feed good quality ad lib hay, grass, grass nuts, pink mash, salt, oil and in winter in May add vits and mins.

Lammy

Visit site
I tried Topspec for mine when he came in last year looking a little poor, I can’t remember exactly but I think it was the conditioning cubes? He had 2 bags of that and actually lost weight whilst he was on it. An independent nutritionist told me some horses really struggle to digest Topspec feed, so the last of the second bag went in the bin and he’s been on Simple Systems ever since.

I really like it as you can target feed and there’s nothing added. I was looking at Agrobs but there were no suppliers in my area so SS was easier to get. He’s a pretty good doer usually so he just gets chaff plus his supplements in the summer and chaff plus their blue bag pellets in the winter and he looks great on it.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
It does - that's interesting. Perhaps it is a good idea to see if something else will be better for him that doesn't contain alfalfa to make him less spooky.

Have a look at progressive earth pro balance it's a balancer but in powder form so no added fillers or crap they don't need, then maybe try the pink mash alongside his chaff.

Reactions: TPO

Zuzan

Visit site
I wouldn't feed it .. I think it's expensive for what it is.. and you can feed better and more cost effetively using straights.. I use micronised linseed and alfa pellets that I can adjust individually / separately depending on work / season etc and a good mineral supplement (without additional iron).

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
I’ve used the lite balancer with both my mares for five years and they do very nicely on it..good coats and feet..no undesirable behaviour..although I ll qualify this by saying I don’t feed the full recommended amounts.

Griffin

Visit site
Spillers daily/lite/performance/original/senior balancers have no added iron either.

I find Spillers more cost effective. but i do feed topspec turbo flakes to add some pizazz.

I feed a Spillers balancer and it's good value with a good spec. It doesn't make my mare silly or itchy either.

Batgirl

Visit site
I use an independent feed adviser that advises me on what is best for my horse not on anything they want to sell me.
EVERY time a feed person has seen my horse they recommend their feed, it is their job.
I think it is worth paying an independent - my horse has developed loads and I know I'm not being hoodwinked.

beatrice

Visit site
I feed the Performance lite balancer and my mare is doing brilliantly on it - have managed to significantly reduce the amount of Vitamin E I was supplementing.

Bea332

Visit site
I use an independent feed adviser that advises me on what is best for my horse not on anything they want to sell me.
EVERY time a feed person has seen my horse they recommend their feed, it is their job.
I think it is worth paying an independent - my horse has developed loads and I know I'm not being hoodwinked.

That's a good idea, I don't know why I didn't think of that before! Does anyone know of one in the East Midlands?

xxcharlottexx

Visit site
I have fed the senior balancer for about 6 years after leaving a nightmare livery yard looking like a hat rack. I have tried to swap it to the equimins advance complete but he dropped weight quickly which suprised me. Persevered for a few tubs but he only improved when back on the topspec. I hate paying for it but it seems to work for him so guess I'm stuck with it ?

teddy_

Visit site
Absolutely love TopSpec, wouldn't feed anything else now. I particularly rate their linseed mash as the horses love it, it's non-heating, hydrating and is incredibly effective for conditioning.

My warmblood is fed the comprehensive balancer, linseed mash with their grass chaff and he's never looked better :).

Definitely worth giving TopSpec a call as you'll be able to speak to a nutritionist who can advise on the best products for your horse and then they send a feed plan to you in the post.

Visit site
Topspec super conditioning flakes were great for one of my tbs, it sent the other one flying to the moon and back! Plus when it reached £18 a bag to feed it at the recommended quantity would require 3.5 bags a week per horse... so I now feed Equerry Conditioning mash and micronised linseed which works better for what I want it to do.

McFluff

Visit site
My boy was on top spec when I got him. I transitioned him onto ‘better’ feeds. He lost his shine. Back on his linseed mash (tiny handful in summer, more in winter) and comprehensive balancer. He’s back in super condition. so I’ve stopped trying to change his feed. Feeding is a total minefield. Good luck in finding what works for your horse.

Sossigpoker

Visit site
If he is very overweight I wouldn't feed anything other than hay /soaked hay and if necessary , oat chaff as a hay replacer.