Totally insignificant horsey pet hate

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Oh yes and after today....

People using your stuff, breaking it and letting you know that it's broken.

*mad*

Sleipnir

Visit site
- People who leave their stuff on my storage closet.
- People who don't pick the poo after their horse in the school.
- Not warming the horse up or cooling him down properly.
- Spending unreasonable amounts on matchy-matchy tack and the latest designer riding clothes, but becoming pinchy when it comes to horse vet, teeth, hoof, saddle etc. basic care expenses.

Pippity

Visit site
If we're talking TOTALLY insignificant? Those u-shaped browbands. The v-shaped ones aren't quite as hideous, but the u-shaped ones just look droopy and badly-fitting.

Dave's Mam

Visit site
I think I must be the Yard nightmare :D I do loads of the things that are people’s pet hates on here. I used to be pretty strict about doing everything the PC way but then I realised that unless it was a welfare or a safety issue then most it was a waste of precious time.

I use a chain across my horses door (not left for hours alone though).
I leave stable door open in summer especially to dry and air the stable.
I clean tack infrequently but numnahs and girth covers are regularly washed, I’ve never had anything break in 40 odd years of riding.
I don’t undo both sides of girth - why bother when you’re going to have to do it up again when you next ride?
I leave some items such as hoof-pick, fly-spray, sudocreme, foot spray, gloves on the window ledge so can grab them easily at turnout and bring in.
I don’t wind my lead-rope up when I hang my head collar up - why bother when you’ve just got to unwind it again to use it?
I use a haynet.
I’ve apparently never mastered the quick release knot :O
Sometimes I don’t pick my horses feet out when turning out in a hurry.
Sometimes I leave his turn-out on over night.
Sometimes I ride without brushing all the mud off.
I cut my baler twine randomly
I wear matchy matchy and in summer my horse wears a matching fly bonnet.
I have a couple of blingy browbands.
I leave my head collar on the floor outside my stable where I tacked up to ride.
And much much more.....

How on Earth have I survived this long :D

My pet hate is the Yard hags stirring their cauldron.

This.

I don't cut my bales at the knot, because I tie them back up & the knot at the end is a pain.

scats

Visit site
I fill my watering can everyday and leave in the feed barn so I can quickly wet feeds in the evening as the tap is in the opposite direction to my stables. Have been rather annoyed recently to arrive to find that someone else has been using all of this water to wet their feeds and putting my watering can back empty, so effectively I’ve been making someone else’s life easier and mine double the work...

Leg straps done up crossed from one side to the other rather than to the same side and threaded through. It makes my head hurt.

riding_high

Visit site
Most of the things that irk me have already been said but a couple more (not got end of list!!).
Owners who spend hours at the yard gas bagging to everyone, telling people how to ride their own horses and after 6hrs moan that they are tired or not got time to ride their own horse.
Owners who have an injured horse but instead of spending time with it they ask to ride everyone elses horse cos they cant ride their own. Or buy a youngster and then moan they have to wait yes before they can ride.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
When my glove falls out of my pocket and lands in a puddle when I have taken it off for a few seconds to do something. Especially on a day like today :p

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
When my glove falls out of my pocket and lands in a puddle when I have taken it off for a few seconds to do something. Especially on a day like today :p

Along the same lines, when my bobble hat is removed from my head an flung into either a puddle or a pile of poo...

NZJenny

Visit site
People who seem to take pride in being dirty, as in "I never clean my tack/wash my brushes/wash saddle cloth once a year".

Flicker

Visit site
  • Putting horses down or retiring them rather than taking the time, patience and responsibility for getting them rehabbed if it is possible to rehab them.

Maybe I’m misreading this, but it sounds very judgemental. Taking a decision to put a horse to sleep or retire it is a very personal one and many factors need to be taken into account, not necessarily just whether rehab is theoretically possible. How would anyone who is not the owner, and not had the in depth conversations with the vet and other professionals caring for the horse, know whether the horse can be rehabilitated or what that rehabilitation would entail?

Speaking as someone who has had my own horse put to sleep, and supported friends making the same decision, it is very easy to hold a view as a third party looking on about what someone ‘should’ be doing. Different situation entirely when it’s you weighing up the pros, cons and costs involved in each of the increasingly limited options available to you.

Peter7917

Visit site
Horses that get treated like they are made out of glass. Used to work at a yard and some of the horses were only allowed out to graze alone as they were 'worth too much money' to risk allowing them to get hurt playing with a companion.

Horses who get left in the stable when it's wet, not because the horse wants to stay in but because the owner doesn't want a dirty wet horse.

Stallions who only get turned out alone. I'm unsure why there is this stigma on the big scary stallion. They normally do just fine turned out with geldings or other stallions if no mares are about.

The term 'breaking saddle' I can't figure out. A saddle should fit even if you aren't yet riding in it.

Fat horses. Used to be at a yard and there was this one horse who was disgustingly obese. He was broken to ride but rather than actually exercise him they were just stick him in a concrete pen with a bit of hay. Pen had a few trot poles in it (wishful thinking that he would exercise himself!) When he lost a bit (still far too big) he would be turned back out on masses of grass. Poor sod had to be pts after numerous bouts of laminitis.

Tack cleaning fairies. They just don't do their job.

Visit site
Stallions who only get turned out alone. I'm unsure why there is this stigma on the big scary stallion. They normally do just fine turned out with geldings or other stallions if no mares are about.

My 5yo lives out with geldings, always has done. My old stallion goes out with my 2 TB geldings. If you have seen them the other day you would have laughed, I wish I had caught it on video! 10hh Shetland vs 17.2hh TB - who comes out on top of the playing? The Shetland of course!

He nipped one of Jeff's knees and as soon as that one buckled he nipped the other and shoved his bodyweight into Jeff's shoulder sending him toppling to the floor! Ranger (26yo Shetland stallion) then proceeded to bomb round the field bucking and kicking whilst poor old Jeff scraped himself off of the floor!

Floxie

Visit site
To describe:

Fold your leadrope in half and feed the folded bit of leadrope through the twine about 6 inches. You will get a loop.

Hold the loop and let the leadrope drop open then take the bit of leadrope that has dropped and feed a loop of that bit of leadrope through the loop that you're holding.

Repeat the loop if you wish.

Pull the bit of rope attached to the horse and it will tighten up so your horse can't wander off.

To undo, pull the end of the rope and all loops will come loose.

I only just learned this recently, after 30 years of thinking I was doing it right. I used to just do a 'normal' knot but without pulling the loose end all the way through, so it made a loop. This does come undone when you pull on the loose end, but the rope is still threaded through the baler twine, or whatever. I was certain I was doing it right, until I learned the better way :D It's just the same (a knot without pulling the end all the way through), except that instead of threading the rope through the twine and knotting it back onto itself, you put a loop of rope through and knot to that. Then it just falls away when released.

I don't like hay nets tied too low. And loose hair or loose ponytails at competitions - something about how long hair fans out over a show jacket just makes me gag! Hairnets are fairly horrid but they're smart - or you could at least plait it tidily!

Reacher

Visit site
I thought long hair in pony tail is compulsory for BS :)
(- I’m just bitter because I’ve never jumped BS!)

Last edited: