Totally insignificant horsey pet hate

Rollin

Visit site
Headcollars left tied up but handing down/sat on the floor in a heap.

This. An English friend who assists in our French yard, also goes nuts when heacollars are left dangling. Our Shagya Arab stallion paws the ground when waiting to be untacked, never walk up to a dangling headlock, lots of people don't see the risk though.

Rollin

Visit site
taking rugs off clipped horses to have them stand and freeze while owner faffs around.

badly tied haynets

leaving horses tied on yard unattended

not clipping leg straps back on the ring when rug is taken off (they hurt when they hit you in the face)

This too!!! Groomed my boy yesterday and popped a rug back on while I changed my boots. Never leave a horse unattended. How many times do you have to tell a student to clip up leg straps?? I too have been hit in the face. I think what infuriates me is this is all basic common sense.

Jill's Gym Karma

Visit site
As a pony-mad-but-pony-less kid 30 years ago, I diligently studied "First Pony" by Toni Webber and practised the quick release knot (with a "rope" made from some triple plaited gardening twine nicked from my Dad's shed). Now I'm going to have to go and study knots all over again!

I'm surprised after 25 pages nobody's mentioned carrying tack across the yard with reins trailing on the ground and loose stirrups swinging.....

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
Headcollars left tied up but handing down/sat on the floor in a heap.

This is about the only thing in the thread that annoys me. If I walk past one I pick it up and hang it up on something.

In general, anything made of leather or wood left on the ground where it'll en up sitting in a puddle annoys me.

C1airey

Visit site
Ugh, yes, headcollars and leadropes left dangling.

I sometimes feel like the last person in the world who still winds up a leadrope after using it. I'm not, am I?

Sleipnir

Visit site
Except pooing in the big trough in the field , especially when you then need to empty it in the middle of winter :(

Ugh, I feel your pain. When I just bought my big guy, he was stabled overnight and would leave a pile in his waterer EVERY night. I would go to ride him after work and meet the extremely grumpy barn hand who was at the time extracting his, um, PILE from the waterer bare handed...it was February and the stalls were not heated. I have no idea why he did that, but he hasn't behaved so horrible since he's been out 24/7.

Theocat

Visit site
Desperately trying to limit myself to the truly insignificant, rather than anything which is remotely a safety / manners issue :p

Bling. Let's be honest, anything that isn't brown tack with a plain cavesson noseband. Even though I might even sometimes need to use something else (and when I do, I annoy myself :p )

Ear bonnets

Pink or purple anything.

Scissored manes

Ghastly clipped patterns

Rugs with patterns on them. Sheep, chickens, bl00dy dinosaurs ...

Lead ropes not wound up. Unless they're wet, in which case winding them up is ridiculous.

Ponytail instead of buns or nets.

Coloured jackets

I'm sure I do lots of things that would annoy other people, and I have never learned to tie the "proper" quick release, but in my defence I wash *and dry* my feed buckets before I stack them.

I sound like a complete party pooper :p

Mule

Visit site
Desperately trying to limit myself to the truly insignificant, rather than anything which is remotely a safety / manners issue :p

Bling. Let's be honest, anything that isn't brown tack with a plain cavesson noseband. Even though I might even sometimes need to use something else (and when I do, I annoy myself :p )

Ear bonnets

Pink or purple anything.

Scissored manes

Ghastly clipped patterns

Lead ropes not wound up. Unless they're wet, in which case winding them up is ridiculous.

Coloured jackets

I'm sure I do lots of things that would annoy other people, and I have never learned to tie the "proper" quick release, but in my defence I wash *and dry* my feed buckets before I stack them.

Ah you're boring:tongue3:

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site

Ear bonnets

Pink or purple anything.

Scissored manes

Ghastly clipped patterns

Coloured jackets

You wash and dry your buckets?!!! I'm not sure you're qualified to comment on annoying things :p :D

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site

I sometimes feel like the last person in the world who still winds up a leadrope after using it. I'm not, am I?

No, you're not. I can't be on a boat and leave the sheets and hawsers in messy piles, either. I think it comes from my grandmother: one of my jobs when I was really small (four or five) was to coil up the washing line for her when she took it down (I was too small to help put the line up).

pennyturner

Visit site

I'm a tack slob, and don't do the half of the things I would do if I had more time, but winding up lead ropes properly (along with dressing bridles between rides) is the only thing that makes it possible to find what you need in the tack room.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I've always found that particularly tiresome and pointless.

Oh yes, that drives me MAD! People are always "helpfully" putting my bridles away that way (the traditional way), whereas I like to be able to pick my bridles off the hook without having to undo everything before putting it on.

Flicker

Visit site
Horses for courses. I always loop reins and martingale through the throat lash because I’m very clumsy and would likely catch my foot in a trailing rein or martingale loop and face plant the concrete... CBA to tie the noseband round everything though.

holeymoley

Visit site
People that pick off bits of round bales. Not only does it look like a burst couch but it takes forever to actually get a decent amount off as it's been picked into layers upon layers at the top and the outer layer is still on the bottom half!

Gah. Infuriates me every day.