Tragic accident RIP Loki

sandi_84

Visit site
Yesterday my poor beautiful boy had to be put down and I am hearbroken beyond words.

He was having a hoon around the field, ran towards the fence to the sheep field and tried to stop but skidded because it was wet and slid. He got a foot caught under the fence and somersaulted over it, landing on his back, e tried to get up but fell back down.

A neighbour saw and immediately called the local small animal vet, grabbed some blankets and called the field landlady who's husband rushed up to help while she called me. They stayed with him and kept him warm and stopped him from going into shock while they waited for the vet.

My mum picked me up and drove me out and on the way I got a call from the vet to ask permission to administer painkillers - which I gave - and to let me know she thought he had broken his back, his breathing wasn't good and his heart beat was weak and she wasn't sure if he'd make it till when I got there. They administered the painkillers and he stablised and then perked up becoming much more responsive to people talking to him.

I arrived and he tried to get up again - it was awful, he couldn't keep himself upright, stumbled and fell again. By this time there had been a local ring round to find someone with horse experience to help and an incredibly experienced lady and a girl who works with her came over to help out.

The equine vet arrived within the hour and although Loki had tried to get up 3 more times and was steadier each time he showed no response to the scratching and pinching along his legs and back with blunt forceps. I had to make the decision to put him down, I had already made him wait long enough because I wanted an equine vet to see him to give him every chance and I feel awful for it but he was in no pain and wasn't distressed - I made sure of that before asking for the equine vet to be called - in fact he kept perking up more whenever someone went in their pocket for something, he thought he was getting treats!

The landlady is going to let me bury him in the plot where her horses are and Velvet my new mare went to a new loan home last night. The man who took her is very experienced and will give her a good home.

To say I am devastated is an understatement, Loki was my horse in a million and we had such a wonderful journey together, he fixed me when I was in a dark place and I like to think that I gave him a nice home in return. I will alway miss him and love him. Run free my handsome lad.

be positive

Visit site
I am so sorry, no words can help but at least he was attended to very quickly and you could be there for him when it really mattered, you had an amazing journey with him just so sad it was cut short.

RIP Loki