Trailer Test to be Abandoned

DizzyDoughnut

Visit site
I knew I was right to sit it out and it would come good, she says aged 38 having held a driving license for 20yrs. Patience ?

This is also me! I've been putting off doing the test for 21 years, I'd finally decided to take some lessons and do it this winter, so relieved that I won't have to do a test now but will still do some lessons to practice reversing.

TPO

Visit site
This is also me! I've been putting off doing the test for 21 years, I'd finally decided to take some lessons and do it this winter, so relieved that I won't have to do a test now but will still do some lessons to practice reversing.

Same, I was on the verge of finally booking it!

ETA I'll still go for lessons. I can tow with a tractor but I know my nerves will be shot with The Precious One on the trailer so some.professional help might calm my nerves ??

SOS

Visit site
Made me laugh that they had to specify that if you have taken your trailer test at some point in the past, you won't get a refund. Guess there would be somebody somewhere who would try.....

I can completely understand why people would try! My OH,who passed only a few months ago, a week later they announced they were going to discuss doing away with the test. It’s very irritating to spend hundreds of pounds on a gov requirement that they then do a U turn on.

ecb89

Visit site
Sorry just to clarify. I can now tow my 700kg ID in a 511, for example, without needing to take a test. Obviously the car needs to be able to tow that amount of weight.

Boots*McGruber

Visit site
So when it changes I can tow a trailer of up to 3500kg MAM? To confirm this is not the total MAM of the car and trailer like it is now for post-1997 licence holders?

TPO

Visit site
I wonder (optimistically) if this might bring down the second hand value of 3.5t boxes a bit? ...on the basis that there’s now another option for those not wanting to do a test of some kind.

Thats a good point.

Personally I'd prefer having a 3.5t over towing but I just can't make my pennies stretch that far right now for a decent one. Plus my dad is buying a towing car so I only have the expense of a trailer purchase (& insurance/fuel) rather than having to run a guttsier (word?) car.

Although now I'm wondering if trailer prices will go up!

Sossigpoker

Visit site

Boots*McGruber

Visit site
Thats a good point.

Personally I'd prefer having a 3.5t over towing but I just can't make my pennies stretch that far right now for a decent one. Plus my dad is buying a towing car so I only have the expense of a trailer purchase (& insurance/fuel) rather than having to run a guttsier (word?) car.

Although now I'm wondering if trailer prices will go up!
That’s interesting. I’ve seen two second hand Boss Supalite 3.5tonne lorries on the market this week & they so rarely come on the market.

Reactions: TPO