Transexual wants sex change/hormone therapy on the NHS

Wasrandyra

Visit site
While I feel that this probably is hugely important to this individual, I do not think that it is the role of the NHS to pay for it.

In the cold light of day with patients dying on waiting lists and NHS staff stretched to the max it would be innapropriate given it is a non essential procedure.

I would also note that he/she has only been living as a woman for 18 months, perhaps its a little soon to be considering surgery any way.

Perhaps the NHS would fund my boob job seeing as it would make me 'complete'. I doubt it ......

Tabbi

Visit site
Where I sympathise with her, she should not be trying to blackmail the NHS into giving her the treatment.
As Wasranyra said she has only been living as a woman for 18 months and is perhaps a little too soon be considering surgery.

MagicMelon

Visit site
What a bitch. Sorry but how utterly selfish. The NHS is already under-funded. People everyday are refused certain drugs which could literally extend their lives by years. Let her starve to death I say.

WishfulThinker

Just up from that street on the right.....
Visit site
It is classed as a cosmetic procedure I believe, and whilst this person will no doubt be in some emotional distress, they can still carry out their daily life with out the change - which, to be fair............they aren't going to look much different to you and i as they are not the most feminine of TV's.

I do hope that the health authority don't back down. I mean............I have certain issues with my lady dept because of problems when I was in the womb - but whilst it does upset me some times, I would not expect the NHS to fix it as it is cosmetic, and it functions!!

I also hope that they dont pull the Sex Disrimination card - but then it doesnt state if they are gay or not.

qwertyuiop

Visit site
There is no medical necessity, so the NHS should not pay for it. Being the gender you don't want to be is not an illness.

Ditto fertility treatment (not getting pregnant is also not an illness) and non-essential plastic surgery.

Skhosu

Visit site
regardless of how they 'feel' people are not getting the drugs they need to stay alive, this is not the same imo.

Flyingbuck

Visit site
With what we will be saving on not cleaning moats, chandeliers, et al....just give her the surgery/drugs!
tongue.gif

Sooty

Visit site
I am not sure how I feel about this, tbh. There is a real issue with the mental health of transgender patients, but this particular person seems to think they have a right to very expensive surgery. Maybe take out a loan and have it done privately? The NHS should ideally be about prevention and cure of illnesses, not IVF and sex changes. However, if you disregard mental health issues brought about by being in the wrong body or not having children, are you failing your patients? I think the surgery should be made available, but not at nil cost. Maybe cheaper than private, say at cost.

ladyt25

Visit site
Very very selfish indeed in my opnion. The thousands of people out there who require LIFE-SAVING medical treatment and often die beforehand and yet she, for some warped reason believes she is entitled to free surgery I just cannot comprehend it.

I get sick of reading stories like this and feel the same way as I do about people getting gastric band/bypasses etc on the NHS because they can't be bothered putting the effort in to lose weight naturally. I'm sorry but the whole "I've tried so many diets, they just don't work" excuse doesn't wash with me. In all honesty I'd rather the NHS fund them to have a nutritionist sort our their meal plans than take up valuable surgery time.

I have to take (asthma) drugs to essentially keep me alive but I have to PAY for them and will do for the rest of my life as do thousands of others yet we didn't choose to be like that. Ok so you may argue 'she' was born into the wrong body - so be it, it ain't gonna kill her! Hows about she work a few jobs maybe (others do it), save the money and pay for it herself??!

Stateside

Visit site
It looks like it could do with loosing a few pounds anyway. so a bit of hunger wont do it any harm ,I call it IT as in my mind its not anything else. if it wants its bits cut off I will do it, I have a rusty knife in the yard.
these people should get on with the life they have been given and stop winging.

MooMoo

Visit site
Gotta say I dont think it should be on the NHS. Its stretched enough as it is. Until the NHS can honestly say that everything is 100% hunky dory and those who need REAL treatment are getting everything they need, then they should not even consider it.

If its that much of a problem they can save up and pay for it themself - wonder how much they'll "need" it when they have to foot the bill.

polyphonic

Visit site
WOW! I have to agree with your post Sooty- As a gay male, who has many transgenered friends, I can not comprehend how they do truly feel about being in the wrong body, mentally and physically. I dont think the NHS should have to pay for the surgery, yet, maybe address the mental illness issue that may come about being transgender. I dont think calling her it was helpfull or constructive but some have little passion out side of their own constraints!

qwertyuiop

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Gotta say I dont think it should be on the NHS. Its stretched enough as it is. Until the NHS can honestly say that everything is 100% hunky dory and those who need REAL treatment are getting everything they need, then they should not even consider it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Even if the NHS was delivering 100% of necessary services, this should still not go ahead. NHS funds come from us taxpayers, not a magic money tree!

MooMoo

Visit site
True.

[ QUOTE ]
I think unless you have truly been in the situation, you cannot begin to comprehend how the person feels.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true also, but i could say the same about cancer patients or terminally ill children and I would not begrudge them a single penny of their treatment.

paddywak

Visit site
Nope ... no way should it be NHS people who need genuine help get turned awayor put on never ending waiting lists tell her to piss right off why should we pay for her willy to be lopped of put a tight band on it give it a few weeks and it will drop off like a lambs tail hehe nice and humane lol! x

GinaB

Visit site
At the end of the day even if they did agree to this surgery (which I severely doubt they will) it probably won't take place for years.

Other cases take priority over the likes of this, it is not something that would be bumped up the list.

Camel

Visit site
I do understand where people come from ... but! Should the NHS pay for the following

Treatment for STD's? (almost always preventable)
Injuries from high risk sport?
Addicts of any sort?
Cancer caused by lifestyle? (sunbeds, smoking)
Obesity treatments?
Anorexia/Bulimia (If fat people just need to eat less do 'thin' people just need to eat more?)
Termination of pregnancy?
Wart/mole removal?]
Illegal Immigrants?

All either preventable of unecessary? I haven't read the story of the transexual but in principle if it is ruining his/her life then why shouldn't they receive treatment if all the above attract funds?

xx

Onyxia

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Nope ... no way should it be NHS people who need genuine help get turned awayor put on never ending waiting lists tell her to piss right off why should we pay for her willy to be lopped of put a tight band on it give it a few weeks and it will drop off like a lambs tail hehe nice and humane lol! x

[/ QUOTE ]
You cant seriously think like that?
crazy.gif

I agree completly with Sooty's post.
I have no idea how it must feel to be in the wrong body and wont even attempt to guess how a person may feel in that situation.
I WOULD like to point out that people DO die from depression and self loathing(sp? gah) that are commonly hand in hand with transender issues,but hey,it;s not the NHS at fault if they take their own life is it?No need to pop it on the statistics lists...
smirk.gif

Do you really think someone would CHOOSE to feel so wrong that an invasive op is the only way forward?

Should she have the surgery?Yes.
Should the NHS foot the bill? I dont think so,but it should offer it at cost.

conniegirl

Visit site
Personaly i think any cosmetic procedure should NOT be funded by the NHS.

I was born in the wrong body, one that has too big boobs, i'm not asking the NHS to pay to sort out my issues, maybe i could ask them for money towards a personal trainer!

I have been offered a breast reduction on the NHS as my top heavyness (naturnaly bigger then JORDAN ever was) is starting to affect my spine but i'm still going to go private as i dont think the NHS should have to pay for it when there are so many out there DIEING because they cant get the correct drugs because the NHS cant afford them. (and i dont trust the NHS)

Anyway, in short no i dont think they should pay for it, perhaps counceling to help him cope with the supposed body issues but if you want to have such a drastic NON Essential surgery then you should pay for it privately.

Skhosu

Visit site
And what of those who want breast enhancements? Many of them would say they are depressed etc without a breast op. Same thing imo..

Camel

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Personaly i think any cosmetic procedure should NOT be funded by the NHS.

I was born in the wrong body, one that has too big boobs, i'm not asking the NHS to pay to sort out my issues, maybe i could ask them for money towards a personal trainer!

I have been offered a breast reduction on the NHS as my top heavyness (naturnaly bigger then JORDAN ever was) is starting to affect my spine but i'm still going to go private as i dont think the NHS should have to pay for it when there are so many out there DIEING because they cant get the correct drugs because the NHS cant afford them. (and i dont trust the NHS)

Anyway, in short no i dont think they should pay for it, perhaps counceling to help him cope with the supposed body issues but if you want to have such a drastic NON Essential surgery then you should pay for it privately.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats great that you can afford to have your breast reduction done privately
grin.gif
.. but many sadly cant afford to fund their own surgery.

I would have your operation done by the NHS as if it is affecting your spine then it is a medical necessity - not a cosmetic preocedure. The NHS will potentially save money on appointments, physiotherapy etc in the long run and the goverment will save money on days lost through back pain - everyones a winner
wink.gif

xx

TinChicken

Visit site
surely mental health is as important as physical health...
i think they should get it on the nhs.
i think the people who drink in excess and can't seem to keep their pants on and who are obese are costing the nhs more money. the ratio of people requiring the gastric band on the nhs is surely higher then tose requiring gener reasignment?

conniegirl

Visit site
MrsO.
I may well have the reduction, however i wont be trusting the NHS with it.
I luckily have duel citazenship in belgium and would rather they did it or i go private in belgium.
I dont want MRSA thanks very much.

CAYLA

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Having surgery on the nhs does not mean you will get mrsa , what an ignorant thing to say.
mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol, but there is a pretty good chance
smirk.gif
grin.gif