Travel boots or not?

Dubsie

Visit site
Depends on the horse and the journey. One of ours always wears travel boots, one is an oldie and doesn't balance well so would bandage (as they have more movement) if a longer trip and travel without on a shorter trip, and one who hates boots and will spend the journey trying to kick them off goes without as I worry he'll fall over /do some damage. All wear tail bandages and/or guards though.

michelledud

Visit site
I never ever travel mine with naked legs. Even if the horse doesn't need them for the actual journey I've seen a couple of really nasty injuries from well behaved horses slipping or tripping on ramps, so I just wouldn't risk it.

rachk89

Visit site
Travel boots for mine. I would use just brushing boots or bandages but he is clumsy and always gets himself into trouble so has to have the full padded ones. I have lost my tail bandage so last time he went out he didn't have one on sadly but the journey was short. Will be getting one of the padded ones again though for next time and maybe a poll guard since like I say he is clumsy and tall.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Millie wears travelling boots every time. She's a good traveller but as above, silly accidents can happen any time. Millie tore open a boot on a trailer ramp corner once, is she hadn't had them on it would have been nasty.
Kira is still learning about boots! She wore over reach boots all round to start with. Now she has brushing boots all round as well and we'll build up from there. Actually she is stiller than M in the box these days but why risk it.

xgemmax

Visit site
Always wear travel boots, even if just going down the road :) He's a pretty good traveller but accidents happen and they take 2 mins to put on so don't see why you wouldn't use them

Shay

Visit site
I've always used either travel boots or bandages. I prefer travel boots because they are easier to put on and there is less scope for making a mistake and damaging the tendons. But I have had ones who would not tolerate the additional restriction so we used gamgee pads and travel bandages. But I would never travel without some form of leg protection. (And tail guards obviously..!) And a rug - even if it is the lightest possible scrim style.

Over the years traveling frequently to compete we've had all sorts of odd things happen. Plus of course the inevitable risk of accident which isn't our fault. I would far rather their "clothing" got damaged than them.

That said if you use a professional international transporter they prefer the animals to have naked legs - and tails - as it is less work. If you are traveling for days you need to be able to take pads etc of and on pretty much at every break which is difficult for a professional driving 10+ horses.

KAZJAZ

Visit site
I don't use travel boots, first horse wouldn't tolerate them at all and current horse is a complete fidget when she comes out the box, she just wants to get the job done so I boot them up appropriately at home with what we need for the event, over reach, brushing boots, tail guard and rug/fleece if required, always travelled in leather head collar too.

Bills

Visit site
I never ever travel mine with naked legs. Even if the horse doesn't need them for the actual journey I've seen a couple of really nasty injuries from well behaved horses slipping or tripping on ramps, so I just wouldn't risk it.

Yep! Completely agree with this. Both of mine load, and travel very well but they always wear boots.

My friends horse, again who loads and travels well, fell off the ramp whilst loading once, she must have just misjudged where she was putting her feet! Dread to think the state of her leg if she'd not have been wearing boots!

ihatework

Visit site
I generally dislike full length travel boots.
Mostly I find horses fuss more with them on than not!

I use short stable boots with over reach boots.

Fiona

Visit site
The two horses always wear travel boots, even if they're just going round the corner to the farriers....

Son's pony doesn't wear anything though, and at under 11hh with spindly legs I'm not sure where we would get travel boots to fit?? I probably should get her some though.

Fiona

Nugget La Poneh

Visit site
Nothing, unless going to a show and then I will polowrap the back legs to keep clean. Old horse would work herself to a proper tizzy if you put travel boots on and then would refuse to load, so would just load her. This I've carried over to Nugz, but occasionally I will pre-boot him if I think I am not going to have my OH or a tie ring to hold/help at the other end. Will always travel in a leather headcollar though.

ElectricChampagne

Visit site
I always have them on, I've heard so many scare stories about legs being caught and travel boots helping prevent or create less damage... Tails guards always go on too.

XxCoriexX

Visit site
my mare doesn't travel well with big boots on, she isn't the best at balancing and this is why she has to travel on the left hand side of the trailer! Funny creature will fall over in the right hand side.

She does wear something though and I actually have found the Premier equine quick dry wraps to be really good for travelling!
Protect from the hoof to just below the knee and actually keep her legs nice and cool, as said by other she wears them no matter how long the journey! Accidents happen and its just not worth it!

spacefaer

Visit site
Horse transporters don't use tail bandages because of the potential damage they can cause when on a long time, particularly if the horse sits on its tail during travelling. You can end up with horrific rub marks or worse. Most people don't travel the distances/time that the hauliers do, so the risk is vastly reduced. Same as with travel boots - it's not a question of not being bothered, it's a practicality. If they are handling strange horses, or green ones, it can be dangerous if the horse has never worn boots before. I heard of one racehorse whose hind boots were annoying her, and she kicked and kicked until a) the boot came off and b) her hock was broken.

We don't travel ours in boots as they mainly go hunting and it can be virtually impossible to get them off at the meet! We have one who is a very dodgy traveller and he wears them, as he can stand on himself.

Leg_end

Visit site
I don't use travel boots as my boy hates them. He always wears over reach boots and a tail guard/bandage regardless but that's it on short journeys. For longer journeys or if he's travelling with something else I will either pad and bandage or BOT boots. He travels so much better without something on his legs.

Micropony

Visit site
Unless the horse objected to them so strongly that it defeated the object, I would always use travel boots. I am far too lazy for bandages and the idea of taking them off and then putting them back on again to come home when the horse might be fidgety and a bit over stimulated by a show or whatever doesn't seem especially cunning to me.

Having said that, my understanding of the research is that the incidence of injuries when travelling is unrelated to whether the horse was wearing leg protection or not. But putting on well fitting travel boots just makes me feel I have taken a reasonable precaution for my horse's safety.

Smogul

Visit site
(And tail guards obviously..!) And a rug - even if it is the lightest possible scrim style.

Why a rug? I am always amazed when I see poor horses in rugs, boots and tail bandages on a warm summer day. They must sweat so badly.

We travel ours with nothing. A tail guard would be pointless as he is too short to scrub tail on anything.

Shock horror - used to travel Shetland loose!

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
We never travel horses with anything except a headcollar. Used to have a horse which scrabbled badly (not my own) and would put boots on as per owners' instructions, he always arrived with boots torn and legs bleeding. Then I had boots stolen at a show and had to travel him home barelegged - never moved on the box and arrived perfect. Never wore boots again, and never scrabbled again either, interestingly....

Last edited:

Rollin

Visit site

This. A transporter taking a young stallion back to the UK normally did not put on boots. It was a steep ramp, the horse had to turn at the top and slipped off. I imagine bad foreleg injuries had I not insisted he was protected.

smja

Visit site
Nothing. We have several sets of travel boots and bandages, and would use them if a horse required it. Our current ones travel best with nothing on.

I would use a tail bandage if travelling to a competition to avoid any bog-brush imitations, but not if just going hacking or to the vets or something.

I would use a rug in winter when he's clipped, but not when it's warm.

muddy_grey

www.*******.com
L wears OR and brushing boots all round. I have a set of travel boots and I keep meaning to take them to the yard so she can wear them at home a bit. Won't travel her in them unless she is 100% happy in them at home. Always use a tail bandage or guard.

millikins

Visit site
Mine travel bare legged. A friend's pony injured itself and became very difficult to travel after stepping on its travelling boot and falling.

scats

Visit site
Depends on the horse. My old Dales pony had a proper panic attack if he was loaded with boots on, but travelled very well without.

Little cob X mare wears boots, but not those long ones- just shires leg wrap types that go below knee and hock. She's still a nervous passenger so doesn't like too much on her legs.

Big horse wears high travel boots, but he's very laid back about travelling.

pennyturner

Visit site
Another for naked legs. I have only ever had one which needed them. He was 3/4 camel, and struggled to balance without knocking his legs, so he had boots.

Tyssandi

Veteran
Visit site
Do you use travel boots or bandages or nothing?

Travel boots always, would never travel without protection

I generally prefer short boots with knee and hock boots as better protection but use full length too

I am quite surprise at people who say they don't need them, why will their legs not be damaged in the event of accident or if horse panics in side vehicle.
It is like a seat belt you never need it till that faithful day when you do and on that day you either end up injured or worse. My horses are not worth the risk traveling without anything their delicate legs could be seriously injured or worse as we see or hear or horsebox/trailer accidents on our roads.

Last edited:

Tyssandi

Veteran
Visit site
Why a rug? I am always amazed when I see poor horses in rugs, boots and tail bandages on a warm summer day. They must sweat so badly.

We travel ours with nothing. A tail guard would be pointless as he is too short to scrub tail on anything.

Shock horror - used to travel Shetland loose!

On severely hot days I do not use a rug, you obviously have never had a trailer accident and nearly lost your horse due to accident in trailer or seen a horrific leg injury in a accident which would have been reduced had the horse worn protection.

Oh yes of cause horses don't get injured or die when being transported just like we wont get thrown through windscreen in accidents, so seat belts are not neccessary.

Never say never accidents do happen and if you want to risk your horse go ahead.

Smogul

Visit site
On severely hot days I do not use a rug, you obviously have never had a trailer accident and nearly lost your horse due to accident in trailer or seen a horrific leg injury in a accident which would have been reduced had the horse worn protection.

Oh yes of cause horses don't get injured or die when being transported just like we wont get thrown through windscreen in accidents, so seat belts are not neccessary.

Never say never accidents do happen and if you want to risk your horse go ahead.

Quite the reverse. Friend lost her horse with a broken leg. From the video cam, it appeared that the horse lost its balance slightly. As it tried to recover. the right hind got caught in the left hind boot and the horse had a crashing fall. By the time she stopped, nothing could be done. She has never used boots since and neither would I.

Unfortunately, as usual on H&H, all this is anecdotal. I would like to see some proper research. The fact that professional transporters don't use any form of wrappings and have a very low injury rate would perhaps indicate that it isn't helpful in many cases.

An American friend says she had never seen leg bandages before coming to the UK and horses normally travel long distances without any problems.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I never travel mine without one has travel boots the other has bandages on, I saw a horse cut her leg so bad on a lorry once she had nothing on her legs and they thought she would have to be pts, she ended up having skin grafts and all sorts the leg was horrendous and she was a show horse hence to say she never went in a ring again:(

Last edited: