Trolls

Achinghips

Visit site
Why so many troll posts lately? Has horse and hound been overtaken with bored teenagers? Is there another horse and hound forum somewhere that doesn't waste my time?

Ellietotz

Visit site
I think this refers to the 'why would you want to own a TB' or 'why would you want to own a cob' threads. I think they were fairly amusing, a lot of people took it seriously though!

be positive

Visit site
I think this refers to the 'why would you want to own a TB' or 'why would you want to own a cob' threads. I think they were fairly amusing, a lot of people took it seriously though!

They are genuine tongue in cheek fun threads, the one the OP is referring to is the novice buying a foal thread, they have contradicted themselves too many times to be real.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Recently had the livery leaving even though they paid 25 a week for a place that practically had gold plated taps thread. OP now greyed out.

Pretty sure the new 'my four year old eventer is a nasty piece of work and won't jump' thread is going to turn out to be one too. Typical start, new poster, posts something inflammatory and then blows up at the suggestion they are going wrong with the horse.

Last edited:

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Recently had the livery leaving even though they paid 25 a week for a place that practically had gold plated taps thread. OP now greyed out.

Pretty sure the new 'my four year old eventer is a nasty piece of work and won't jump' thread is going to turn out to be one too. Typical start, new poster, posts something inflammatory and then blows up at the suggestion they are going wrong with the horse.

Haven't seen that thread. Will have a look.

Achinghips

Visit site
Yep, used to be a nice supportive fun forum, where I could come for advice and experience. Don't trust it anymore, but now full of trolls creating drama in order to bring out arguments between people. If any genuine, mature people would like to join I Have created a supportive Facebook group called mature horse riders uk. Absolutely no bullying or trolling. Send me a message say who you are on here, and I will check you out and add you if I think you're genuine. But sadly, after over 3k posts and seven years, I'm out of here now.

southerncomfort

Visit site
I have to say that I'm not one to call 'troll' however some of the recent threads on here seem a bit.....um....attention seeking shall we say, with too many inconsistencies etc.

Sometimes it's quite entertaining but during periods like this you end up doubting everyone which is a bit of shame.

Ruftysdad

Visit site
Does anyone remember the Athena thread where people were swooning over the supposed dishy owner. Took a while before he was found out. Good fun whilst it lasted

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
I rarely post here for all the reasons mentioned by others but always read.

Posts that jump out at me are ones with appalling grammar, lack of capital letters, starting sentences with connective conjunctions, posting before and after school and the brand new user has a single name followed by three or four numbers.

russianhorse

Visit site
Does anyone remember the Athena thread where people were swooning over the supposed dishy owner. Took a while before he was found out. Good fun whilst it lasted

Oh no 😳 Was he not real? I must have missed him being exposed (not in that way 😂) but remember him being swooned all over

ycbm

Visit site
I'm another who rarely thinks about it or clocks it!

But does it really matter?

I've pondered this question. Some people feel very let down when they realise that they have spent time and care on someone who is having a laugh at them behind their backs. And it puts people off helping genuine posters. And it leads to some genuine posters being called trolls when they aren't. So on the whole, yes I think it does.

I've never forgotten feeling cheated after I posted on a thread about someone's nephew who had burnt their horse with a lit cigarette, and it later became obvious it was a troll thread. That was years ago and it still sticks in my memory.

PorkChop

Visit site
I've pondered this question. Some people feel very let down when they realise that they have spent time and care on someone who is having a laugh at them behind their backs. And it puts people off helping genuine posters. And it leads to some genuine posters being called trolls when they aren't. So on the whole, yes I think it does.

I've never forgotten feeling cheated after I posted on a thread about someone's nephew who had burnt their horse with a lit cigarette, and it later became obvious it was a troll thread. That was years ago and it still sticks in my memory.

I hadn't thought of it like that, probably because it wouldn't bother me, but I understand why it might others :)

ycbm

Visit site
I hadn't thought of it like that, probably because it wouldn't bother me, but I understand why it might others :)

I am torn because if you can get in the right attitude, then fishing to get them to tie themselves in knots and give the game away can be very entertaining! As long as it's a genuine troll on the hook, of course.

We seem to have a new breed around lately who are using logins created sometimes years before, sometimes with a posting history over many months before it becomes apparent that the story they have built has moved from interesting to impossible. I can't imagine why they get pleasure out of doing so much work!

And why do so many of them have ABC123 variations as their login?

Last edited:

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I'm another who rarely thinks about it or clocks it!

But does it really matter?

Sometimes it does sometimes it doesn't. These recent ones don't bother me. However when it's been taken very far and people have believed / worried about / advised and find out it's actually complete clap (trip) trap I don't like that.

I tend to be suspicious so unlikely to fall into a troll trap.

glamourpuss

Visit site
The Mr Vet/showjumper with the perfect yard troll is starting to properly annoy me now. They are a true troll in every sense....the perfect life which we are supposed to be jealous of with a building level of excitement/drama to get people investing time & energy into them.
They also must think that everyone is stupid with their 'haha!' Constantly littered through every post 🙄