Trolls

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I am torn because if you can get in the right attitude, then fishing to get them to tie themselves in knots and give the game away can be very entertaining! As long as it's a genuine troll on the hook, of course.

We seem to have a new breed around lately who are using logins created sometimes years before, sometimes with a posting history over many months before it becomes apparent that the story they have built has moved from interesting to impossible. I can't imagine why they get pleasure out of doing so much work!

I think some of them are pure fantasists. The Mr Vet/bsjastar one for example. Wants people to think their life is incredible. I think it is almost a type of mental illness, or they have in fact got a terrible life.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
Yep, used to be a nice supportive fun forum, where I could come for advice and experience. Don't trust it anymore, but now full of trolls creating drama in order to bring out arguments between people. If any genuine, mature people would like to join I Have created a supportive Facebook group called mature horse riders uk. Absolutely no bullying or trolling. Send me a message say who you are on here, and I will check you out and add you if I think you're genuine. But sadly, after over 3k posts and seven years, I'm out of here now.

I've asked Join but I can't pm you on here for some reason.

rachk89

Visit site
Have to admit I havent seen the recent troll threads. Gonna have to look for them now.

I am probably one of those with a username some hate, but I just have no imagination when it comes to a username. :p

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Have to admit I havent seen the recent troll threads. Gonna have to look for them now.

I am probably one of those with a username some hate, but I just have no imagination when it comes to a username. :p

I wondered at first but it was soon obvious you were genuine :)

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
There's been loads of troll threads over the years it's not a new phenomoenom. Usually they're pretty easy to spot. I seem to remember one about an abandoned foal that someone found in their field which was poor taste as people were very concerned and then there was the Rileyboi thread which was a bit more fun. The worst I think was Dunroamin in terms of playing on people's genuine concern and kindness.

Trouble is if you make the forum too sanitised it becomes totally boring.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
From a genuine poster, I just wanted to say that despite perhaps sometimes replying to threads that are make-believe, the effort that people put into a genuine, helpful and thoughtful reply on a real situation, is very very, much appreciated by all I am sure, and especially by myself recently! Would be a shame to loose some over the actions of a few.

Sukistokes2

Visit site
Recently had the livery leaving even though they paid 25 a week for a place that practically had gold plated taps thread. OP now greyed out.

Pretty sure the new 'my four year old eventer is a nasty piece of work and won't jump' thread is going to turn out to be one too. Typical start, new poster, posts something inflammatory and then blows up at the suggestion they are going wrong with the horse.

It did cross my mind but you can't treat every thread as trolling .........it's a hard one

WelshD

Visit site
the recent ones have been similar in that the person says they have great back up/expert trainers/expert parents/parents interested and involved in their activities but then they ask for advice that the adult in question would be best placed to help with

ycbm

Visit site
From a genuine poster, I just wanted to say that despite perhaps sometimes replying to threads that are make-believe, the effort that people put into a genuine, helpful and thoughtful reply on a real situation, is very very, much appreciated by all I am sure, and especially by myself recently! Would be a shame to loose some over the actions of a few.

Well that's a very good point! Just because the original question is from a troll it doesn't mean people don't find the answers useful, as you say.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Yep, used to be a nice supportive fun forum, where I could come for advice and experience. Don't trust it anymore, but now full of trolls creating drama in order to bring out arguments between people. If any genuine, mature people would like to join I Have created a supportive Facebook group called mature horse riders uk. Absolutely no bullying or trolling. Send me a message say who you are on here, and I will check you out and add you if I think you're genuine. But sadly, after over 3k posts and seven years, I'm out of here now.

It's always been a forum for trolls, and in years gone by there was a huge amount of cronyism, cliques and bullying on here - which is why I disappeared for three years because it was ridiculous, nasty and got very personal. As it happens, most of the perpetrators bogged off to Facebook and left this place in peace. It's a bit more staid and boring on here these days, and definitely slower than it was, but I don't miss the people who left and didn't come back.

NZJenny

Visit site
Hmm .. looking at the couple of threads started by first time posters who have been members for several years, maybe a hack or two?

Dave's Mam

Visit site
Any forum will get trolled, it's the nature of the beast. I was heavily involved with running several music sites / radio stations & trolling is rife there too.

JDee

Visit site
You'll always get them on forums, pretty sad really but it is annoying for members to find that they've put a lot of time into giving advice
I spend time on another forum where several people created multiple accounts, all very different and they were pinging their IP address around so going to some lengths to make their fantasy seem real - but they usually slip up somewhere in the finer details
I follow the H&H Facebook page and there's been a real star of fake posters on there - he also turned up on a few other FB mags I follow

LadySam

Visit site
I kind of think that one is a troll because they started the name calling thing by calling everyone sanctimonious. Although they could just be deluded of course.

Troll as in come here to deliberately start trouble? Maybe. Though there have been a few lately that struck me as genuinely clueless and seemed to be genuinely offended when we didn't agree with what they're doing. The sanctimonious one, the 3 yo that was still being fed foal and yearling mix, the one with bad feet that had a diet full of sugar...

People who think they know what they're doing with horses really hate it when told they don't. I know the horse world attracts very opinionated people who think their way is the only right way, but IME it's the ones who don't know what they don't know who really arc up.

Cobbytype

Visit site
I'd like to know where people get the time or even what the point is really??

To be honest it's probably the sort of thing I'd have done as a child. I was always asking my parents if I could have a pony and was jealous of my elder sister who got to go and ride her friend's little Welshie whilst I had to stay home because I was too young. I'd have found it a bit of escapism to fabricate a story about some wonderful gymkhana pony that I owned.

Annagain

Visit site
I think some of them are pure fantasists. The Mr Vet/bsjastar one for example. Wants people to think their life is incredible. I think it is almost a type of mental illness, or they have in fact got a terrible life.

Didn't the Mr Vet one say her other name was Eventing Star? Is bsjastar another incarnation or have people got confused?

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Didn't the Mr Vet one say her other name was Eventing Star? Is bsjastar another incarnation or have people got confused?

I think they are the same troll. The posting style was identical, along with certain grammatical and spelling errors. Her tone was exactly the same too. Completely different to the tone of the poster in the competition forum who is your more typical obnoxious poster, so if she's a troll too, she's a different one.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Achinghips, I am really sorry you have decided to leave. This forum still has a majority of members who are helpful, knowledgeable and kind. I hope that you change your mind and decide to hang around.

Casey76

Visit site
Unfortunately I have one of those ABC123 names too - I can't be bothered to change my screen name, and it's been with me for longer than I've been a member of HHO.

I remember quite a few very humerous troll threads, ones which were very obviously trolls in the first place - anyone remember the one where the OP wanted to change a mare into a stallion (or similar - it was a long time ago, and I can't remember the exact details)

It can get very frustrating, if you spend a long time writing replies, perhaps even going off and looking at older threads on HHO, or googling medical symptoms to assuage some worry, to find out that it's a troll thread, or even that the op ignores, poopoos or retaliates to your well meaning responses.

My trolldar must be on the blink though, as it's been a while since I've read a thread and immediately thought "trip trap, trip trap"

ycbm

Visit site
I'd like to know where people get the time or even what the point is really??

I have a brother who does it. Not on this forum as far as I know. He's an attention seeker in many other ways as well. He just likes/needs to cause a reaction. It's a bit sad really. He spends the rest of his time wondering why he can't attract and keep a girlfriend. We've tried to explain but it goes in one ear and out the other.

I think most trollers who are adults are a bit unstable and the children are, well, ..... children.

Annagain

Visit site
I think they are the same troll. The posting style was identical, along with certain grammatical and spelling errors. Her tone was exactly the same too. Completely different to the tone of the poster in the competition forum who is your more typical obnoxious poster, so if she's a troll too, she's a different one.

You must have a good memory. I remember the Mr Vet threads and noticed the grammatical and spelling errors in them at the time but I couldn't tell you what they were now or even recognise them again!

but couldn't tell you the

glamourpuss

Visit site
You must have a good memory. I remember the Mr Vet threads and noticed the grammatical and spelling errors in them at the time but I couldn't tell you what they were now or even recognise them again!

but couldn't tell you the

They have a very noticeable thing/phrase that they use pretty much throughout their posts. I have a dreadful memory but it sticks out like a sore thumb.
They used it for their original post about wanting to ask Mr Vet out, then when they pretended to be Mr Vet which is what outed them & then after I'd posted on their recent 'wonderful yard' thread I saw it again.

The 'my life is wonderful' is a common theme with trolls. I used to be a member on another forum & we had a couple. One of them was actually a really witty/funny/likeable poster, I never understood why they'd felt the need to create this faux amazing like for themselves.

Another, I just found it all a bit much. Now I know there are people out there who are very wealthy but this all just a bit 'in your face' (massive house, latest cars, yacht, where shall I have my new swimming pool put, lots of holidays, yet never seemed to be at work) but 2 things happened which made me twitch
1) She was talking about one of her businesses which sold office furniture, someone asked for the link to their website as they needed some, the response was 'oh no, you wouldn't like it. It's all modern looking, cheap stuff' (struck me as a funny way to describe something they sold when a simple 'I'd rather not share the details here thank you')
2) I asked for some information on cars I was thinking of buying - supposedly she was a test driver for cars. She gave me some fab information. A couple of days later I found the information pretty much verbatim on a review website.

It's a funny way to spend your time IMO 😆

Annagain

Visit site
Hadn't noticed the ha ha thing but that's what Reillyeejit did as well. What a saddo if it's the same person over and over. How boring!

Me neither but now I've gone back looking it's quite obvious as is the misspelling of allowed / aloud. I clearly have too much time on my hands :D