Uncontrolled dogs (again)

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
The OP is a human being, not an automaton - although it is unwise to do such a thing on a horse, it is not a cardinal sin, but was a natural consequence of being taken by surprise! I have an extreme startle response - when I am concentrating, I will half jump out of my skin and perhaps not shriek, but go "oh" rather loudly if someone comes up behind me unnoticed by me and says something.

No, it's not a cardinal sin - but rather an over reaction, don't you think?

Nikki J

Visit site
No, it's not a cardinal sin - but rather an over reaction, don't you think?

With hindsight, the OP herself might say "yes". Hindsight is a wonderful thing ... to answer your question, all I can do is put myself in her stirrups though and say potentially I too could have shrieked! Over-reaction, maybe, but as I have said before, we are not all superhuman wonderwomen!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
With hindsight, the OP herself might say "yes". Hindsight is a wonderful thing ... to answer your question, all I can do is put myself in her stirrups though and say potentially I too could have shrieked! Over-reaction, maybe, but as I have said before, we are not all superhuman wonderwomen!

I don't think it's anything to do with being a wonder women or not. It's simply an over the top reaction.

Nikki J

Visit site
Not really, competent perhaps. I just tend (I hope) not to overreact to situations. Granted, that does come from a certain amount of experience of various situations.

Fine, that's great, but not everyone is like you. This is the point I am trying to make ... yes, there are totally OTT reactions like the rider on another thread who expected a tractor driver to hide behind a hedge because her horse was frightened ... but our OP on this thread I do not think falls into that category. She has already explained that she is a competent rider etc. etc., but she was startled and slightly over-reacted.

A little bit of empathy here wouldn't go amiss!

Indy

Visit site
I have been known and heard to have a little shriek when a pheasant has decided to eject itself from a hedge on one or two occasions. I don't think it's owt to do with being a competent or unhinged rider or even an over the top reaction - it's just some people can be more vocally surprised than others.

Nikki J

Visit site
I have been known and heard to have a little shriek when a pheasant has decided to eject itself from a hedge on one or two occasions. I don't think it's owt to do with being a competent or unhinged rider or even an over the top reaction - it's just some people can be more vocally surprised than others.

Exactly!

JFTDWS

Visit site
With hindsight, the OP herself might say yes.

But the OP didn't agree it was an over reaction. She posted a thread moaning about the dog owner on a forum - having (presumably) put the horse away and come home, giving her plenty of time to calm down and re evaluate her reaction. That's partly the point.

Nikki J

Visit site
I have every empathy for someone who finds themselves genuinely in a frightening situation. The situation as outlined by the OP is not one of those situations.

But what is frightening to you may not be frightening to someone else ... and vice versa.

I work with a girl who is so terrified of spiders that even a picture of one that I stuck on her monitor caused her to become hysterical!! To me, that is absolutely and utterly ridiculous, even though I myself do not like spiders much.

You are not in a position to be able to judge what could, or could not, scare someone. You can only judge based on yourself ... and we are all very different.

Nikki J

Visit site
But the OP didn't agree it was an over reaction. She posted a thread moaning about the dog owner on a forum - having (presumably) put the horse away and come home, giving her plenty of time to calm down and re evaluate her reaction. That's partly the point.

I think she probably would, with hindsight. But at that split second in time she WAS scared enough to let out a shriek instead of a "whoa". In the same circs., I too can see me (with my enhanced startle response) to have done something similar.

JFTDWS

Visit site
I think she probably would, with hindsight. But at that split second in time she WAS scared enough to let out a shriek instead of a "whoa". In the same circs., I too can see me (with my enhanced startle response) to have done something similar.

But she hasn't? At all on this thread! You can no more presume she agrees with you (even if she does and has been posting otherwise just for kicks) than amymay can presume that the OP doesn't have a phobia of dogs jumping out of bushes :rolleyes3:

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
But what is frightening to you may not be frightening to someone else ... and vice versa.

That is a very fair comment.

But, I stand by my view that if a dog running past you causes you to shriek, panic or otherwise - then there's a problem.

We are not talking about phobia's here.

Indy

Visit site
Just because she shrieked a little though doesn't mean to say she was scared ......just startled. I think there is a difference to being scared and being startled. I think the OP's was moaning more about out of control dogs rather than moaning about the dogs scaring the bejesus out of her.

I know when I've been startled by aforementioned pheasant I'm not scared.......just 'vocally surprised'

Nikki J

Visit site
Just because she shrieked a little though doesn't mean to say she was scared ......just startled. I think there is a difference to being scared and being startled. I think the OP's was moaning more about out of control dogs rather than moaning about the dogs scaring the bejesus out of her.

I know when I've been startled by aforementioned pheasant I'm not scared.......just 'vocally surprised'

Me too! When I jump out of my skin because someone has spoken to me and I don't know they are there, I let out a sort of "uuuuh" noise, a very low pitched shriek if you like!

Spring Feather

Visit site
I think the OP's was moaning more about out of control dogs rather than moaning about the dogs scaring the bejesus out of her.
I think the OP is just moaning. Period. I think the level of horsemanship has slipped greatly tbh. If a dog rushing out from the undergrowth surprising the rider results in reporting the incident to the police then really RTE has hit the nail on the head. Unhinged for sure.

Nikki J

Visit site
OP aside, I'm quite concerned about the number of people who go out hacking who seem to be scared of everything...its nuts..!!!!

Confidence on a horse has to be learned, it does not come naturally to most people, unless they start very very young like my daughter at 3. The very first time I hacked out on my DWB on my own I was pretty scared, but I kept it hidden I think from him. As time went on, I grew in confidence until I would trust him 100%. The same with my mare, she had her moments but provided you kept alert she was sensible and I could control her well. But it took me YEARS to get to this level of confidence.

We all have to start somewhere, and we should all be tolerant of riders who are less accomplished or less confident than maybe we are.

EllenJay

Visit site
We all have to start somewhere, and we should all be tolerant of riders who are less accomplished or less confident than maybe we are.

I don't think I am not tolerant of unconfident riders - but they can not expect the rest of the world to stop to accommodate them. If they are hacking out they need to be competent enough to deal with what is thrown at them - sometimes that means turning around, sometimes dismounting and sometimes just sitting it out. It does not mean complaining that someone else is sharing the same path you happen to be riding along.

Spring Feather

Visit site

I would like to think most of us are tolerant of novice or nervous riders. However what I am not tolerant of is riders who, through their own incompetence, waste police officers time over trivial matters such as these. Maybe learning to control vocal shrieking could help many situations, not just whilst being 'in charge' of a 1200lb animal.

equitum

Visit site
Nothing bad happened, stop surmising about other possible outcomes, a dog just ran past you, end of.

Calling the police is totally OTT, as is suggesting all dogs should be on their leads at all times as others have said.

You encounter all sorts of weird and wonderful things whilst out hacking, sometimes things can be a little scary, but that is the challenge of hacking. If you want a fuss free ride, stick to the school.

Gingerwitch

Visit site
I am fed up with dogs that are out of control and the owner says "oh its only a puppy, he/she wont hurt" when it has bowled into your well behaved ON THE LEAD dog, causing it to be knocked to the ground or even bitten - the dog that is loose in your field running your horses round jumping up at their bellies - and the owner screaming at you that if your ****** horse kicks the dog you will be prosecuted - its on private ground - chasing my horse in the ice - fGS !!!!! - dogs constanly running through crops - and owners thinking that we are on private land so its fine if our dog craps in your horse field - we wont even bother to attempt to pick it up.

Hippona

Visit site
Threads like this make my blood boil..!!!! If you/your horse is "terrified" then I would politely suggest you stick to riding in an arena :rolleyes3:
MOST dogs will be under control whether on or off the lead, there will always be the odd few that are not.
Its attitudes like some on this thread that cause the biggest problem :(

This, pretty much.
If you as a rider are terrified then you are hardly going to instil your horse with much confidence...

tankgirl1

Visit site
Read the first page, got infuriated at some of the responses! I am both a rider and a dog walker.

If walking and a horse approaches, I get the gravy bones out, dogs come back, leads on, we stand to the side and let the horse pass.

If riding and off lead dogs appear, we stand, wait for their owner/walker to put them on the lead or shoo them out the way, then walk calmly past.

I really don't understand the hysteria that seems to be abounding! A bit of patience on both sides is all that is needed!

Get a grip ffs!