Unsustainable, elitist sport... how have we made it here?

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
I personally think they need to do less elitist stuff and bring back events like the cracking 3 day event they used to do at grass roots level at MKEC. I was lucky enough to compete three times on Bailey and I loved it, three days of long format eventing but run very seriously with vet checks and everything.

IMHO this is what they should be doing more of, as it was at an affordable level, open to everyone and great fun for family and friends alike.
MKEC put a wind turbine on the XC as they couldn't make eventing viable to run anymore. It has since been sold, you can still train there though.

Keysoe also tried to run an unaffiliated 3DE last year but cancelled due to lack of entries and now no longer will run horse trials due to not making money.

Events are horrendously expensive to run and it is impossible to make them cheap for competitors and able to cover costs at the same time.

teapot

Visit site
The industry is expensive, absolutely, but imho the paying customer, whether you're a BE member or a riding school client shouldn't always be the only one paying for the ever increasing costs. 'Chuck it on the custommer, reduce the perks, they won't notice' is one of the attitudes costing BE members.

I've run low level unaffiliated inhouse dressage comps and there is no way you can make a profit on them. You're lucky to break even, and I'm just not sure how you could make a BE event profitable? I also don't need business costs explained to me - staff, horses, facilities all cost a lot of money, but I do get annoyed when I get a 'we're increasing our prices' email twice in 15 months, yet I still can't book any form of lesson after 6pm on a weekday, or after 4pm on a weekend day. Peak times and zero lesson availability blows my mind. Price increases should be after everything else has been looked at and tried, not first port of call.

Birker2020

Visit site
MKEC put a wind turbine on the XC as they couldn't make eventing viable to run anymore. It has since been sold, you can still train there though.
Yes I heard about the windfarm. Such a shame, I would love to go back one day and do the XC jumps I did on my adventures there years before. In fact I will make it my ambition now, something to look forward to in the future.

They are hard to run, partner was Head Groundsman for 20 years at a very large equestrian centre in the Midlands that used to host regular ODE's at unaffiliated as well as BE level so I probably know more than most about the costs for the First Aid, the Marquee, the lunch and vouchers for the volunteer stewards and fence judges, the cost to pay for judges, additional staff that have to come in for the day, etc, etc.

Its not just the day of the event either, the budget goes out of the window on the lead up to the event with the costs of the additional extras like an aeorator, timber to make the jumps, hire of stables, cost of shavings, schedules, advertising/marketing, the list is endless. Some of it can be passed on to the competitor like the stables/bedding but most is unavoidable.

Its an expensive event to lay on.

Last edited:

teapot

Visit site
I'm in no way shape or form underplaying the fact that I am in a very privileged position - people are very quick to jump on the ''be grateful for what you have'' bandwagon - I absolutely am. I'm actually referring to our sport becoming EVEN MORE elitist than it was before, to the point where it will only be the big earners out there as the more ''normal'' equestrians will simply be priced out of the game.

I agree with this, and for those who don't have their own horse (or access to them privately), decent centres aren't exactly accessible now either.

hollyandivy123

Visit site
One of my liveries worked out that it costs her £33k a year to run each of her horses, taking into account all livery, competition costs etc. This is a very ambitious young rider who will go to the top if she carries on as she is, but my goodnes that's a lot of money!
you should never add those things up..................never

The Irish Draft 2022

Visit site
The cost of living is very expensive so it’s going to have a impact the horse world. Ireland is getting expensive as the uk when it comes to horses ? I can understand why op feels this way eventing is very expensive but there is nothing we can do about it.

Esmae

Visit site
Horses and associated sport has always been expensive and out of reach for many people. To be able to have horses on a more modest level you have to decide what you spend your money on. Do you have Dobbin and compete or do you want foreign holidays/designer clothes/regular nights out etc? I chose Dobbin and have managed 2 short holidays in 30 years. I don't mind that, it was necessary for me to pursue my interest.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
The industry is expensive, absolutely, but imho the paying customer, whether you're a BE member or a riding school client shouldn't always be the only one paying for the ever increasing costs. 'Chuck it on the custommer, reduce the perks, they won't notice' is one of the attitudes costing BE members.

I've run low level unaffiliated inhouse dressage comps and there is no way you can make a profit on them. You're lucky to break even, and I'm just not sure how you could make a BE event profitable? I also don't need business costs explained to me - staff, horses, facilities all cost a lot of money, but I do get annoyed when I get a 'we're increasing our prices' email twice in 15 months, yet I still can't book any form of lesson after 6pm on a weekday, or after 4pm on a weekend day. Peak times and zero lesson availability blows my mind. Price increases should be after everything else has been looked at and tried, not first port of call.
Yet other than our annual show dressage events were the biggest money maker for riding club.

rabatsa

Far from the madding crowd
Visit site
My parents gave up any idea of holidays ect in order that us children could follow our dreams. Music lessons and instruments for my sister, pony on working livery for myself and another sister. This was in the 1960's.

Hobbies have always been expensive.

teapot

Visit site
Yet other than our annual show dressage events were the biggest money maker for riding club.

Riding clubs have few fewer outgoings than your average centre (show venue, rs, wherever) though ;) I'd get 20/25 entries for one evening comp, still never made any money on it!

windand rain

Visit site
I currently have a young pony on livery. The mum of 2 kids said to me that keeping her including the various costs was far less than her kids doing after school activities they love to ride, be outside and adore my welsh pony while waiting for their bigger pony to finish its education. My biggest issue is that it has become cheaper for kids to have a pony than have lessons and yes the cheap chuck you on a horse and go hacking places were a health and safety nightmare but to be honest H&S has ruined most activities not saying the dangerous places were right but never seemed to have the same mamby pamby response you get now. The world is far more risk averse and far less adventurous than it was 60 years ago and more

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
FWIW i don't think the basic costs like livery and shoes have risen anything like other "general" life costs.
i've been able to get DIY livery for the same ballpark figure for the last 20 years. the cost of diesel has rocketed by comparison, for example.

Neither do I. I've just bought basic horse cubes and they're the same price I've been paying for 20 years. Rugs are ridiculously cheap at the bargain end of the market. Shoeing hasn't increased at the rate of inflation. Etc.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
yeah, my parents bought me a pony in the 70s because it was cheaper than lessons. Non-horsey parents that bought their 7/8yo daughter a young Section C 'to grow up with'. It happened even then, I know the stuff we did would get us an absolute roasting on SM now and it would probably be justified. And we weren't rich, we lived on a council estate in Ewell, mum and dad went without a lot so we could keep them.

I'm Dun

Visit site

They sold it for housing predominantly which was always the plan long term. It wasnt anything to do with not making eventing viable.

I want to go back to eventing but have no money. I've bought myself an ex racer with a big scopey jump and nice movement. I had planned to join BE next year but the new cancellation policy is the final straw for me. I'll stick to unaffiliated and do some BD and probably BS on a ticket as well.

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
They sold it for housing predominantly which was always the plan long term. It wasnt anything to do with not making eventing viable.

I want to go back to eventing but have no money. I've bought myself an ex racer with a big scopey jump and nice movement. I had planned to join BE next year but the new cancellation policy is the final straw for me. I'll stick to unaffiliated and do some BD and probably BS on a ticket as well.
I was only going from what I was told at the time.

I didn't think any houses where going to be built? From what I can remember there is two owners now, one of the yard/arena section and another that now owns the XC area.

teapot

Visit site
My grandad bought 2 ponies in the 60s because it was cheaper than 4 having lessons, that’s not new ?

yeah, my parents bought me a pony in the 70s because it was cheaper than lessons. Non-horsey parents that bought their 7/8yo daughter a young Section C 'to grow up with'. It happened even then, I know the stuff we did would get us an absolute roasting on SM now and it would probably be justified. And we weren't rich, we lived on a council estate in Ewell, mum and dad went without a lot so we could keep them.

It may not be new, but I'm not sure how many people realise what decent lessons actually cost these days... The gap between cost of owning your own and lessons is getting wider by the day.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
It may not be new, but I'm not sure how many people realise what decent lessons actually cost these days... The gap between cost of owning your own and lessons is getting wider by the day.

well lessons on RS horses cost me £35 a pop? And people teaching me on mine charge the same. I expect that fancier places charge more -I am not really following your point, sorry. And cost of lessons, same as livery, will vary widely depending on where you are.

In comparison, horseback archery is still relatively cheap for an equestrian sport :D

teapot

Visit site
well lessons on RS horses cost me £35 a pop? And people teaching me on mine charge the same. I expect that fancier places charge more -I am not really following your point, sorry. And cost of lessons, same as livery, will vary widely depending on where you are.

In comparison, horseback archery is still relatively cheap for an equestrian sport :D

Kids lessons are upwards of £35/£40 per hour in the south east now.

I'm paying almost triple what you are :oops: (and yes I'm happy to pay it before anyone goes 'that's your choice' etc). Just highlighting the fact it can be cheaper to have your own for the average not competing out affiliated rider :) Also that the sport is getting increasingly inaccessible, and for something that is already deemed elite, that is not a good thing imho. It's all very well CDJ or Ollie T saying 'look at me, look at my background' in interviews, when the parents of the desperate teenager watching can't afford a lesson at the local riding school...

I do know someone who calculated how much her loaned worked out per minute of each time she rode...

Last edited:

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I pay £80 for a 45 min lesson on a horse i have to keep all week and run transport to the venue (or did until i moved her in). that winds up pretty pricey. One way or the other horses end up cripplingly expensive. I don't think it's better or easier for anyone tbh.

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
I was only thinking today what good value my horse is. I can spend all my spare time with my horse so I don't need any other hobbies. The fact that my horse enables me to have relax time with myself probably saves me a fortune in pyschiatric fees! If I was a gambler/drug addict or a heavy drinker then that would be far more expensive than a horse and not as healthy either. Please also bear in mind that manyof the competitions or events you go to are heavily subsidised by the people that volunteer to be stewards etc and the land owners who in many cases provide the venue/fields for free or cost price. Clearly eventing is expensive it has to be for the facilities and man power that is required to hold an event. Yes! some people have loads of money and flashy horse boxes etc but they probably get no more enjoyment than those involved with horses on a low budget. Enjoy what you have!

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
I don't compete, but the cost of horses will be why I won't be getting another when H goes, and a significant contributing factor to my massive loss of interest in the whole thing. I was warned its not the buying it's the keep that's the big cost, I wouldn't be advised at the time as its all I ever wanted. I now understand what everyone was trying to warn me. Also the cost of buying one having looked at adverts, not that I'd want to, would price me out as I'd want something safe and able to do everything with and these would be well out of my price range

The only thing that would change it would be to win the lottery and have my own land and stables I could keep them at.

I don't think I'd even loan.

I don't have a massive salary and the constant forking out for horse related costs, when I don't even enjoy it any more is very wearing.

I'm also at the time of my life where I'm starting to want children, and am well aware there is NO way I can afford the horse and a child. Maternity is so paltry most of it would go on the horse, and I couldn't expect OH to subsidise the horse costs if he were covering the bills and mortgage etc

Although I nearly fell through the floor when I heard what nursery costs, my goodness it made the horse look cheap and that says something!