Update : he did it again

ridefast

Visit site
There could be many causes, or no cause for this. It is not normal for a horse to do this, regardless of what/if anything caused it. I think it's time to PTS. You gave him the benefit of the doubt last time, I really don't think it's worth it this time. I understand it's easy to say this and a lot harder to make that decision when looking at a healthy young horse, so I hope this hasn't come across nasty in any way.

LittleGinger

Visit site
Oh digitalangel, so sorry to hear this.

I must confess I was thinking brain damage or tumour too. Sadly, I do think there is a lot of truth in one of the posts above (cptrayes? Can't remember) about spending time to find a trigger or cause potentially being too dangerous a risk to take.

I wish you all the best and good luck, but also I think you would find a lot of support on here should you decide that PTS is the best thing for him.

Flame_

Visit site
Sorry to hear this. I'm with everyone who thinks a second chance was the right thing to do but a third chance would be too high a risk to people's safety. If you want to keep working with him, and I might IIWY, I'd be doing it with him kept stabled except for horsewalker and or indoor school turnout.

Spot_the_Risk

www.animalcrackersdevon.co.uk
Very sorry to hear this, and nothing to add to others comments. Your commonsense approach shines through and you will undoubtedly make the best decision based on the knowledge gained. Lovely offer there from Honetpot too.

Bobbly

Visit site
OP, I'm so sorry to read this, I hope you can come to a conclusion quickly and close the door on it. The kindness of others is enormous. Best Wishes.

Clodagh

Visit site
DA - I'm so sorry to hear he did it again. I was so pleased when I read your update with him.
Please be careful.
I have to add to the PTS vote here, I'm so sorry.

mjcssjw2

Visit site
DA, I am afraid it actually doesn't matter what is causing it - the outcome is very dangerous, what if he runs in front of a car or over a child!! I am afraid
I think cptrayes is right, I wouldn't spend any more money trying to sort it out, Sorry. you were very generous to forgive him the first time. would you ever trust him to ride?

fusspot

Visit site
I am so sorry to read about your horse.We had a livery that suddenly for no reason started to have a seizure,he didn't gallop but one day he was being schooled and the owner said that all of a sudden she could not turn him-thank god she got straight off,couldn't see anything wrong with him but he literally just started almost bolting in walk,climbed out of the arena,tried to walk over a car and through a window and we literally could not stop him just going where he wanted,he had this strange look in his eye and was totally switched off to everything around him,he went down a couple of times but just got up and carried on walking through and over everyone and everything.It was one of the most frightening experiences which lasted about 10 minutes.Vet came out,gave him the once over and gave him some medication for a few days,hoped it was a one off.Owner rode him for a few weeks after but just could not trust it not too happen again so retired him,6 weeks later he was in the field and it happened again.Sadly the owner had him pts as she was not willing to risk riding him or risk anyone else on him,luckily nobody got hurt but it could have been so different as there was absolutely no stopping him.The vets said that it was some type of seizure and even if they got to the bottom of it they couldn't guarantee medication would work.I would def speak to your vet but it's really not normal and whatever happens it sounds like you have tried everything and tried to give the horse a good chance but sadly at times you have to admit defeat.Horses for many of us are a let out from work and life and are meant to give us happiness-don't feel guilty at having to make that decision and maybe think about the lovely offer from the other poster.Sorry about the essay but wanted you to know that I have experienced something very similar in the past.Good Luck.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Oh DA - I'm so gutted for you. I have to agree with everyone who's said that it would be unwise to give him another chance. He could do it again and kill someone or himself.

Fairynuff

Visit site
I knew a horse who would be fine then out of the blue would run. He didn't bother to jump anything in his way, he went through. He was PTS after he ran during a 3 day event, lucky enough during the sj phase. Autopsy came up with a brain tumour. I wouldn't wait for another episode, I would PTS now. It must be awful for you:(

lastchancer

www.facebook.com
Oh this is very sad, I remember the original post about him bolting and the later, more hopeful ones. It does sound like some kind of brain problem, he's almost certainly running from pain when he goes off like that. Even if you could find the cause how likely is it to be treatable?
Of course it's your horse and your choice but it does sound like PTS might be the most sensible solution, and Honeypots offer is a very generous one.

RunToEarth

Visit site
DA it doesn't really matter why he did it. It's seriously disturbed and dangerous behaviour even if there was a trigger. And any trigger could happen again, and next time he may hurt or kill someone.

Personally, I'd spend no more money on this horse, nor would I risk anyone finding out that he will also do it ridden.

This. You are a very decent person in giving him a second chance and in investing time now the seller has turned her back. The buck needs to stop with you, and I agree with cpt that you need to PTS before it ends up injuring someone.

Horses who bolt blind in fields for no good reason also bolt under saddle for the same no reason. From experience, you do not want to be on that horse when something goes inside and he goes, because it really will affect your confidence.

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
OMG, I am so very sorry to read this ! I've just told my hubs about it, and am welling up. How awful for you.

Imho, as others have said, this horse is dangerous. You have done so well by him, and have given a chance, which not many others would have. But there has to be a cut off point, and I am so sorry, but he has reached it. You cannot risk yourself or others any more. It does sound neurological.

I am devastated for you, I really am. Huge (((HUGS))). x

lula

Visit site
Seriously, having followed your story right through, I'd spend only a little more money on an ulcer scoping and then have the horse put down if you find none.

That is truly crazy behaviour and you could not pay me any money that would make me sit on it.

totally agree with cptrayes.

You have given this horse a chance to prove the last time when he nearly caused a traffic pile up bolting 5miles down an A road wasnt a one off. He has let you down. Really sounds like this horse has a behavioral or neurological problem that may never be cured and is down right dangerous to himself and others.

Id have him PTS and soon.

southerncomfort

Visit site
I really am sorry to read this. You absolutely did the right thing to give him a second chance. I really don't know what I'd do in your shoes but he sounds like a dangerous horse to have around.
:(

The only other possible cause I could think of that is a trapped nerve somewhere. A trapped nerve can feel like a lightening bolt and could really terrify a horse I suppose. On the other hand, as others have suggested, it could be a tumour.

I have a vague memory of Mark Rashid mentioning a horse with similar behaviour in of his books. Apparently the horse was very inbred. As the horse came from a stud, I wonder if this is a possibility. :( I have no personal experience of this so it might not be relevant but thought I'd mention it.

Very sad whatever the cause, but you must keep yourself safe. x

digitalangel

Visit site
Having had a bit of a cry and a think I do believe there's something nqr in his head . His behaviour isn't normal so vet tomorrow morning see what he thinks is the best course of action is but I think in my heart of hearts I will have to let him go :((( looking at the bigger picture I can't keep him safe and I truly believe if I couldnt others would struggle and I didn't buy him for keeps and I couldn't sell him on now because the risk would be too great .

cptrayes

Visit site
Having had a bit of a cry and a think I do believe there's something nqr in his head . His behaviour isn't normal so vet tomorrow morning see what he thinks is the best course of action is but I think in my heart of hearts I will have to let him go :((( looking at the bigger picture I can't keep him safe and I truly believe if I couldnt others would struggle and I didn't buy him for keeps and I couldn't sell him on now because the risk would be too great .

I think we'll all support you if that's the decision tomorrow DA. I hope your vet gives you a clear steer on this, but if not I'd call the hunt anyway. So sorry that what should have been a fun project has turned out this way for you.

fusspot

Visit site
If pts is the route you decide to take,After reading your story,anybody who gives you a hard time does not deserve the time.It is not a decision you will take lightly and you have tried but sometimes there is only one choice.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
DA sorry to read this having only just caught up with your ridden photo post yesterday. There has to be something amiss for him to do that and trusting him not to do it ridden either with you or in the future is a pretty big risk IMO. The eyes skyward certainly sounds a bit odd too. Hats off to you completely for persevering since the first episode (after which you didn't always get the most helpful of responses!).

Spring Feather

Visit site
Very sorry to read that he has gone and done this again. I would have returned him immediately to his previous owner the first time he did it, you decided to give him a second chance which was admirable of you however he clearly has something psychologically amiss. I am not one for suggesting PTS willy nilly; your situation is most certainly not one of those situations and if there is no way of returning the horse to the previous owner now then I would also be having him PTS tomorrow. The horse is unsafe and were he to kill a person or cause a road traffic accident then that would be unforgivable. So sorry for you. You tried.

HazyXmas

Visit site
Really feel for you OP. I wouldn't waste another penny on this horse, he is a danger to himself & other's.

I was offered a 5 yr old 15hh mare this week for a £, her issue was that they couldn't keep her contained! Having read your thread about your horse, i decided that it wasn't worth the worry & agro, a cheap horse can very quickly cost an awful lot of money.

Poor you, poor horse. Call the hunt & move on.

Vetwrap

Visit site
Very sorry to read that he has gone and done this again. I would have returned him immediately to his previous owner the first time he did it, you decided to give him a second chance which was admirable of you however he clearly has something psychologically amiss. I am not one for suggesting PTS willy nilly; your situation is most certainly not one of those situations and if there is no way of returning the horse to the previous owner now then I would also be having him PTS tomorrow. The horse is unsafe and were he to kill a person or cause a road traffic accident then that would be unforgivable. So sorry for you. You tried.

Agree totally. I am so sorry to read that he has bolted again. Personally though, I wouldn't go down the PM route, as even finding a reason for the behaviour is not going to change a thing, at that point. It sounds harsh, but you have to think of your safety and that of anyone who comes into contact with him.
I'm really very sorry.