Using a chifney

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Are there any issues with using one judiciously? Particularly normal bridling?

I’m thinking about using a chifney to bring in my younger horse when it’s windy weather in particular as he gets very wound up and when corrected has a bit of a tantrum including airs above ground. Currently always turned out and brought in using bridle with long rope wearing gloves and hat.

He’s been really good when the weather is calm but gets very anxious and unsettled at bringing in time in windy weather.

He is extremely good at being bridled at the moment and practically puts it on himself. I don’t want using a chifney to spoil this.

Thanks

Esmae

Visit site
I used a chifney every day to turn out my old horse. He was an idiot without one. I rode him in a french link and never had any issues. Sorry to say that to try and turn out using his usual bridle was a waste of time and almost found me in orbit.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I’m already using a bridle as explained in my first post 😊.

I have to take him across a lane from yard to field and open and close a gate so I need to have full control.

OlderNotWiser

Visit site
We use one for my daughter’s horse. I have a clip on the bit ring so that if he lifts his head, I can just unclip the side rather than trying to lift it over his head when turning him out.

Identityincrisis

Visit site
Jesus, if he’s that wound up use a chiffney, better that you are safe, if he behaves and you are gentle it will be fine, I would not opt for the dually if you’ve already tried the bridle!

I used a chiffney most days with my horse, he just needed that extra reminder to behave and keep all his feet on the ground

Ps I’m not ‘jesusing’ at you op!

expanding_horizon

Visit site
Jesus, if he’s that wound up use a chiffney, better that you are safe, if he behaves and you are gentle it will be fine, I would not opt for the dually if you’ve already tried the bridle!

I used a chiffney most days with my horse, he just needed that extra reminder to behave and keep all his feet on the ground

Ps I’m not ‘jesusing’ at you op!

Just be careful if you lose hold of them in a chifney and they tread on it, can sever the tongue.

I used to use a chifney with a fairly short rope attached, and a lunge line attached to the headcollar for a horse that reared when led.

I have also seen people use chifney with rope looped through but not clipped so if not holding both ends of rope can unthread, but would then need a second rope on headcollar.

GTRJazz

Visit site
I used one on a big strong horse old bridle with no throat lash or nose band. rope was around two foot long so came down to his chest no risk of him treading on it. For a young small horse I would persist with training to get him to listen to you. Sets them up for ridden work

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I find that a bridle with the lead rope through the bit rings like a curb chain does the trick.
I already put the rope on the opposite bit ring and thread through the near bit ring. I can hold him on this but I have to circle him around me and we end up doing a mini lunge lesson I was thinking a chifney might make him more respectful quicker.

Over the poll I worry about it pulling the headpiece off over the ears. I had a horse with small ears and his bridle would come off like that.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I used one on a big strong horse old bridle with no throat lash or nose band. rope was around two foot long so came down to his chest no risk of him treading on it. For a young small horse I would persist with training to get him to listen to you. Sets them up for ridden work
I’m working on leading but he’s bolshy and he’s very strong. Every day I practice all the backing up, disengaging the hind-quarters, yielding etc. but he reverts to this when he wound up. I’ve got Jason Webb hopefully coming out in February to help me as he’s almost impossible to do any groundwork with especially lunging in the school.

GTRJazz

Visit site
I’m working on leading but he’s bolshy and he’s very strong. Every day I practice all the backing up, disengaging the hind-quarters, yielding etc. but he reverts to this when he wound up. I’ve got Jason Webb hopefully coming out in February to help me as he’s almost impossible to do any groundwork with especially lunging in the school.
I had one that would not lunge or lead very well I ended up riding him everywhere . It was Ok until he had three months box rest ,came out walking on his back legs. I got on against everyone's advice and he was like a different horse nice and calm

Ratface

Visit site
We have a very sharp, neurotic oldie (not mine, for once!) who tends to up the ante at any opportunity when being led in or out. He's always done it. Hours of quiet, calm training by highly experienced horsewomen has not changed his behaviour. With the chifney in, he's sweetness and light. It's safer for all concerned that he's brought in and out with a chifney.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
You could add a stallion chain to your bridle when leading there are 2 ways to use it over the nose as cortez has said or under the chin.

The chin method is a bit milder it will just put pressure under the chin if he pulls rather than across the top of the nose, unless his really bad the chin method may be enough it was all Arabi needed when he was entire.

Sossigpoker

Visit site
Well done for getting help with the training !

I'm not keen on chifneys as they can cause severe injuries, although sometimes they are a last resort, so it's good that you're investing in training too.

I had good results with the LeMieux control head collar too .

Sossigpoker

Visit site
Ps. I've got a 12.2 like this, he can be an absolute nightmare, although I appreciate that not as bad as a big horse!
I use a Dually with him , he just runs through the bridle. With him you can't give an inch even when doing feet and rugs - he has to stand still for both or he gets a correction. All this very much feeds into his leading manners. If he takes a step forward when I do his rug , he gets a correction with the Dually and a verbal nah-ah too. When he comes out of the stable , I come out first and he waits to be invited. Literally just a split second initially. If you ask these horses to wait for 5 seconds when they can't wait for 1, you will get an explosion. Same with his feet and standing still for them . Needed to start by asking him to be still for like 1 second at a time.

He's pretty good now.

Ratface

Visit site
I have a Dually which I got so that I could control an ex working stallion who had been cut very late after being used as a stud. When I got him, his previous owners had controlled him by using sheep races and a pitch fork. When I went to see him, he had cornered the owner on top of a very high muck heap and Ryazan was stood half way up it, with a "Are you feeling lucky?" stance, neck out, teeth bared. I suggested that we closed all the gates, leave him to it and have a cup of tea. Which we did. Afterwards, I went out with a scoop of horse nuts and stood by an open stable door shaking the scoop. Eventually, he came down. I put a good heap of nuts on the ground and a trail of them into the stable and waited out of sight. He followed the trail, went into the stable and I shut the door quietly behind him.
I bought him and rode him home. At first, he was a "kick/bite/rear/buck/bolt 'n' swerve merchant. I managed not to come off and eventually we got on well enough and had ten happy years together. He was pts because his sacroiliac joints were becoming more painful and meds weren't holding it.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Someone at the yard routinely uses a chifney and it would appear that she doesn't need it as he behaves well, but if he doesn't have it on you very quickly see why he needs it. I find that lots of horses that I have come across are the same, they soon realise once it's on they have to behave. However, I would also initially loop the rope through rather than clip it on, just in case of incident early doors.

They are only harsh if used incorrectly, and if you are crossing a lane and need some control, and he's being a PITA then I would say do what you got to do! Someone at our yard has their horse being backed with Jason Webb currently, so he may visit to do some follow up calls over the next few months - I am more than happy to ping you a message if/when he does come so you can also tag a visit onto his day?

pistolpete

Visit site
Agree in the absence of training rope over nose far kinder and safer. I’d be spending lots of time leading until horse became more respectful of handler.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Agree in the absence of training rope over nose far kinder and safer. I’d be spending lots of time leading until horse became more respectful of handler.

I disagree, I'm sorry. In terms of safety you can't disengage it quickly and you can't get it on and adjusted quickly. In terms of kindness I've known many horses which would pull against a nose rope but I've never yet met one that even tried to quarrel with a chifney.

They are used routinely by vet hospitals for a reason.