Using a chifney

irishdraft

Visit site
My friend has a bolshy cob, she uses a chiffney everyday to get in & out of the field and loading into the trailer. With it he's perfectly well behaved without it he just tanks off.

Spirit7

Visit site
He’s very mouthy already and I did experiment with treats and a clicker but he’s just too pushy for that. He does get a nugget or two at catching up and he waits for a nugget when I take his bridle off at turn out which is something I’ve always done with my horses as it prevents the spin and feet in the face.
Completely understand. Sounds like a lot more yard / ménage ground work is the only way forwards. Best luck

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I've never had to resort to a chifney, and I've had some very determined buggerer-off-ers in to re-train, but never say never. Just as long as everyone acknowledges that it works entirely by hurting the horse.

Once for a microsecond, maybe. The one horse I used it on knew immediately he wasn't going to win and never tested it.

I'll swap that for hours of retraining a big opinionated horse that someone else has ruined that might also kill me in the process, ta.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Once for a microsecond, maybe. The one horse I used it on knew immediately he wasn't going to win and never tested it.

I'll swap that for hours of retraining a big opinionated horse that someone else has ruined that might also kill me in the process, ta.

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, if it's a case of you vs horse I'm all for using what works (within reason), and if that means some momentary discomfort for the horse then so be it, but if people are going to use something they need to know how it works.

Clodagh

Visit site
I had a horrible pony I sold to @TheresaW. She loves him. He was led with a chain over the nose and a piece of blue pipe/my elbow or other weapon pushed into where his neck joins his shoulder so he couldn’t set his head and neck against me. He had obviously learned how to get away.
I don’t think he needs all that now he’s a grown up.

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
I had a horrible pony I sold to @TheresaW. She loves him. He was led with a chain over the nose and a piece of blue pipe/my elbow or other weapon pushed into where his neck joins his shoulder so he couldn’t set his head and neck against me. He had obviously learned how to get away.
I don’t think he needs all that now he’s a grown up.
No, he was just beaten into submission. 🤣

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
An update. I haven’t used the chifney so far. I tried a rope over the head from bit ring to bit ring after which he he decided that he would come over when I went to catch him but as soon as I tried putting the bridle on he would either swing or reverse away. (Fine to bridle any other time and teeth done in October);So I had to spend some time working on that so putting on a headcollar first then bridle. He’s much better now.

He had a mild colic episode and then due to his behaviour and that I had him scoped for ulcers. He had a few minor and one grade 2-3 now on gastroguard and sucralfate. He does seem less anxious on it, but it does depend on the weather.

I had my session with Jason on Sunday. Oliver was very challenging and dragged him down the arena and double-barreled him as he hung on fortunately it must have been glancing as he didn’t let go. He did get him more compliant by the end of the session but he was very obstinate and really tried everything not to move his feet when he tried moving him.

I didn’t expect miracles but I was hoping for some more tools and a sense that Oliver “got it” even if it would have to be further worked on but I’m not sure that he did. So I have to think where I go from here.

expanding_horizon

Visit site
An update. I haven’t used the chifney so far. I tried a rope over the head from bit ring to bit ring after which he he decided that he would come over when I went to catch him but as soon as I tried putting the bridle on he would either swing or reverse away. (Fine to bridle any other time and teeth done in October);So I had to spend some time working on that so putting on a headcollar first then bridle. He’s much better now.

He had a mild colic episode and then due to his behaviour and that I had him scoped for ulcers. He had a few minor and one grade 2-3 now on gastroguard and sucralfate. He does seem less anxious on it, but it does depend on the weather.

I had my session with Jason on Sunday. Oliver was very challenging and dragged him down the arena and double-barreled him as he hung on fortunately it must have been glancing as he didn’t let go. He did get him more compliant by the end of the session but he was very obstinate and really tried everything not to move his feet when he tried moving him.

I didn’t expect miracles but I was hoping for some more tools and a sense that Oliver “got it” even if it would have to be further worked on but I’m not sure that he did. So I have to think where I go from here.
What was Jason’s take on him & suggested next steps?

blitznbobs

Visit site
I have used a chifney and have one hanging up in the tack room just in case but I find a narrow rope halter more effective. Don’t get me wrong the chifney definitely works but I find they learn that when it’s not in their mouth they can be arses… so they/ you become reliant on it… if I use a rope halter (and I am under no delusion that this is any less a control measure that uses discomfort / pain) then they learn that a halter is enough and I don’t have to use it all the time - mostly they wear a normal headcollar and occasionally some May need a refresher course. Since doing this the chifney is not used at all… but I have kept it ‘just in case’