Using a chifney

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Fair enough. The possibility of severe tongue damage puts me off!

Don't you trust yourself not to hang on so tight and so long you would cause that?

In practice, I've never had one test it out for longer than a fraction of a second, they seem to have total respect for it, which is why it works so well.

Esmae

Visit site
Someone at the yard routinely uses a chifney and it would appear that she doesn't need it as he behaves well, but if he doesn't have it on you very quickly see why he needs it. I find that lots of horses that I have come across are the same, they soon realise once it's on they have to behave.
This was my horse exactly

Supercalifragilistic

Visit site
I bring my horse in wearing one when he is turned out in my far field - meaning I have to walk him in through a couple of open fields. He is unbelievably quick to go from relaxed walk to shooting off and getting away from me. I have a dodgy back and a right shoulder that dislocates with very little pressure so I have no chance of holding him.
I find with a chifney he walks in politely and rarely if ever shoots off. I have a rope around 12inches long on it in case he does get away from me, so there’s no risk of him stepping on it.
He doesn’t like it - pulls a grumpy face - but he has it on for 2 mins max. He’s also the best horse I have ever had to the contact when ridden so it doesn't seem to affect that.
I’m afraid safety comes first. He throws his head around with anything looped around his nose.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
They're a brilliant bit if kit if used properly (by which I mean fitted correctly and pressure being applied/released at exactly the right moment). Many unruly horses have a personality transplant the moment the chifney is put on. They know. It makes leading and loading a much safer experience for horse and handler, and most won't need it after a short while.

The lead rope should be clipped to the ring on the bottom of the chifney, AND to the ring on the headcollar, which will prevent most of the horror stories above.

Not something I'd suggest every owner has in their tack room, but a really useful piece of equipment.

Spirit7

Visit site
I’m already using a bridle as explained in my first post 😊.

I have to take him across a lane from yard to field and open and close a gate so I need to have full control.
Probably not the “right” answer as i do use a chifney daily on my old boy who’s reared and F’d off whenever he has a “moment” prevention is better then cure but I also have a youngster and I personally would try distraction with treats on difficult situations first as is make him aware then stand then reward…. I dont think I’d want to risk a nasty mouth pain at that age

expanding_horizon

Visit site
Don't you trust yourself not to hang on so tight and so long you would cause that?

In practice, I've never had one test it out for longer than a fraction of a second, they seem to have total respect for it, which is why it works so well.

The danger isn’t the handler hanging on too long / too hard to the rope attached to the chifney and damaging tongue.

The danger is the unexpected happens, horse does get away from the handler. The horse then treads on the rope attached to chifney and badly damages or even severs own tongue. It’s something that sadly does happen.

Used professionally in a controlled environment such as vets it is less likely to happen but still potential risk.

ycbm

Visit site
The danger is the unexpected happens, horse does get away from the handler. The horse then treads on the rope attached to chifney and badly damages or even severs own tongue. It’s something that sadly does happen.

Well I've heard the tales but never seen any proof. And I think safety of the handler overrides a manageable risk to the horse. If you think you're "that" handler use a 30cm rope, or a threaded rope not a clipped on one.

I've never had a horse try to get away from a chifney. This fellow was a real character. He was impossible to lead in without one. He would get to the gate as sweet as pie, then pull away and go back to the others. In a chifney he never even tried, it was like leading in a different horse. I bought him like it, it wasn't my making.

DSC04557.JPG

ycbm

Visit site
Must be a ginger thing. Here’s my chifney boy. Yours is gorgeous too

Lovely, my favourite colouring. Did you notice they've both got their tongue out?

One of my favourite vets comes from a family of Irish horse breeder/dealers and we both agree that bright orange with a lot of white is always very full of character and not always in a good way. I find the same with bright orange cats.

Spirit7

Visit site
Lovely, my favourite colouring. Did you notice they've both got their tongue out?

One of my favourite vets comes from a family of Irish horse breeder/dealers and we both agree that bright orange with a lot of white is always very full of character and not always in a good way. I find the same with bright orange cats.
Mine too. That was his 20th bd. And yes I did notice the tongues!! I think I have to agree, but by they are sooooo stunning and I love a large personality on an animal

Ceifer

Visit site
Well I've heard the tales but never seen any proof. And I think safety of the handler overrides a manageable risk to the horse. If you think you're "that" handler use a 30cm rope, or a threaded rope not a clipped on one.

I've never had a horse try to get away from a chifney. This fellow was a real character. He was impossible to lead in without one. He would get to the gate as sweet as pie, then pull away and go back to the others. In a chifney he never even tried, it was like leading in a different horse. I bought him like it, it wasn't my making.

View attachment 132782
My horse would be proof. He got away from a very large experienced male stud hand from one of the UKs best studs and has half a severed tongue to show for it.

expanding_horizon

Visit site

I do sometimes handle other people's horses in chifneys. I am happy to use one on request on other people's horses. But I think everyone should be aware if you clip a leadrope on a chifney and unexpected events mean you have to let go, if the horse treads on rope and pulls back, a severed or half severed tongue can occur. If you know this and chose to use one, then you should be comfortable with the risk, and hopefully hyper aware of the risk. As long as people are aware of the risk, they can make an informed decision.

And yes I would use one too on a big horse that used his strength being led, and a bridle headslip didnt work safely, if I was handling such a horse. But I would also be hyper aware of the risk if I let go of rope and horse stood on it.

ecb89

Visit site

My ID is just what you describe. Bright chestnut, big white blaze, 4 white socks. Also used a chifney on him on occasion.

Goofus

Visit site
he gets very wound up and when corrected has a bit of a tantrum including airs above ground. Currently always turned out and brought in using bridle with long rope wearing gloves and hat.

You could try using a rope halter for groundwork and then also use it to bring him in from the field, as he will know it's time to pay attention. There are easy ground work exercises to do with a rope halter to teach a horse to refocus when they are distracted or bolshy.

Harrison Howard 4 Knots Rope Halter with Lead

Ratface

Visit site

Old Horse is a very bright chestnut, with two white socks, two white stockings and a white blaze down his face. He is certainly "full of character"! Too much, sometimes. He likes to go everywhere at warp speed, especially at turning out and bringing in time. Growling at him sometimes works, but YO just laughs at him. Head Groom is less forgiving and he gets a tug and a growl. Most of the time he responds . . .

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
i would be tempted to use a dually in preference
I do have a dually although it’s moulding away somewhere however I can’t hold him on a rope halter and even a bridle when he pulls away he just turns and flips off. I’m not a novice and I’m not tiny and pretty bloody determined to hold on but he’s got away in the school a few times. Even my very experienced very qualified trainer couldn’t hold him - hence getting Jason Webb out. He hasn’t got away bringing in with me (yet) but he did with a friend using the rope halter luckily within the field. That’s when I decided bridle only for turning out and bringing in.

Maybe the nose action of the dually might have a different effect but I don’t want him getting away yet again so I’m wary of trying it.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I've never seen a chifney used anywhere except England, funnily enough. Stunt horse trainers use them to train horses to rear in hand. Either a chain over the nose, or a lunge line through the snaffle, over the poll, and clip to farside ring will control any horse I've ever met.
I’ve never used a chifney but I’ve never had a horse like him. Should have stuck to my warmbloods 🤣.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
We have a very sharp, neurotic oldie (not mine, for once!) who tends to up the ante at any opportunity when being led in or out. He's always done it. Hours of quiet, calm training by highly experienced horsewomen has not changed his behaviour. With the chifney in, he's sweetness and light. It's safer for all concerned that he's brought in and out with a chifney.
That’s sort of my thoughts- my friends 28yr old CB is very much like that. She’s going to lend me her chifney so I can see if it’s effective. I’m still not keen but I’d only really need it on very windy days. He was absolutely fine tonight in a normal bridle.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
You could add a stallion chain to your bridle when leading there are 2 ways to use it over the nose as cortez has said or under the chin.

The chin method is a bit milder it will just put pressure under the chin if he pulls rather than across the top of the nose, unless his really bad the chin method may be enough it was all Arabi needed when he was entire.
I’ll have a look at that option, thanks.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Someone at the yard routinely uses a chifney and it would appear that she doesn't need it as he behaves well, but if he doesn't have it on you very quickly see why he needs it. I find that lots of horses that I have come across are the same, they soon realise once it's on they have to behave. However, I would also initially loop the rope through rather than clip it on, just in case of incident early doors.

They are only harsh if used incorrectly, and if you are crossing a lane and need some control, and he's being a PITA then I would say do what you got to do! Someone at our yard has their horse being backed with Jason Webb currently, so he may visit to do some follow up calls over the next few months - I am more than happy to ping you a message if/when he does come so you can also tag a visit onto his day?
Thanks that would be useful. It’ll be interesting to see how he thinks I should deal with it.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Probably not the “right” answer as i do use a chifney daily on my old boy who’s reared and F’d off whenever he has a “moment” prevention is better then cure but I also have a youngster and I personally would try distraction with treats on difficult situations first as is make him aware then stand then reward…. I dont think I’d want to risk a nasty mouth pain at that age
He’s very mouthy already and I did experiment with treats and a clicker but he’s just too pushy for that. He does get a nugget or two at catching up and he waits for a nugget when I take his bridle off at turn out which is something I’ve always done with my horses as it prevents the spin and feet in the face.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
You could try using a rope halter for groundwork and then also use it to bring him in from the field, as he will know it's time to pay attention. There are easy ground work exercises to do with a rope halter to teach a horse to refocus when they are distracted or bolshy.

Harrison Howard 4 Knots Rope Halter with Lead
I’ve tried that and he doesn’t respect it at all.

Goofus

Visit site
I’ve tried that and he doesn’t respect it at all.
When I had an issue similar to yours, it involved several weeks of working the horse with the rope halter and weighted lead. This was a herd-bound horse with no ground manners who needed to learn to trust me and stop trying to drag me around to get back to the safety of his herd. For me the rope halter worked like magic, but I did have the help of trainer who knew all the groundwork exercises and how to effectively train with a rope halter. It's really a training tool, not a restraint device like a chifney. It's possible your horse is more on the dangerous side. Mine was bolshy, stubborn, and distracted, but not dangerous.

ponyparty

Visit site
I used to use one on my old boy. He could be an absolute arse to turn out in the winter, hooves flying everywhere, it’s not fun and is in fact bloody dangerous. He knew when he had the chifney on, as others have stated, and managed to contain himself. If you’re turning out via a public road you really can’t afford to have any accidents/getting loose. It’s not ideal, but what is, in real life?

Sossigpoker

Visit site
I do have a dually although it’s moulding away somewhere however I can’t hold him on a rope halter and even a bridle when he pulls away he just turns and flips off. I’m not a novice and I’m not tiny and pretty bloody determined to hold on but he’s got away in the school a few times. Even my very experienced very qualified trainer couldn’t hold him - hence getting Jason Webb out. He hasn’t got away bringing in with me (yet) but he did with a friend using the rope halter luckily within the field. That’s when I decided bridle only for turning out and bringing in.

Maybe the nose action of the dually might have a different effect but I don’t want him getting away yet again so I’m wary of trying it.
Do some training with the Dually , it's not a magic tool, the horse needs to learn the instant consequene of unwanted behaviour. I often see people just pulling on it , the horse will the just pull against it.
I really rate it for spirited horses - but you need to train them with it . It also controls my devil pony ,whereas he just runs through the bridle