Vacancy

P3LH

Visit site
I was absolute in my refusal, when well meaning relatives and friends started reminding me I am always the first to encourage someone who has lost a dog to start planning for the next one soon after. Absolute. I would stick to the two and that’s that, but nearly a week in I think they may have a point.

I am doubtful this will be an ‘anytime soon’ situation as I am still grieving terribly for Cooper, and despite my loved ones well meaning intentions I don’t think I’m ready for another dog just yet however - I think maybe something to mentally look forward towards could be good too. In the end I know I’ll get another as corgi Sherman tank in particular, will drive me even more bloody nuts than usual without someone to entertain her and the eldest rough just likes to sleep.

Not another rough though. The blue boy was irreplaceable. The requirements when the time is right would be: the bigger end of the small size scale to medium sized. Not too much grooming, but could be persuaded. Calm, easy going nature and temperament. A happy go lucky sort of dog. Not too high energy or known for being hyper. Trainable would be a bonus but after having a corgi who has big ears and only ever chooses when to use them I suppose I can cope. Must be sociable and a breed that generally just sort of gets on witg life. No spaniels. Not another corgi as much as I always envisioned a pack, as I fear the current one would end up constantly butting heads with another dog like her.

Whippets, bedlington whippets and border terriers probably rise to the forefront of my mind - but I would be open to ideas. It has to be something a bit calmer and more straightforward than bossy corgi, and not someone who would annoy elder rough too much. I was a terrier person before the roughs, but most of these rule themselves out as I’ve done my years of dogs that are very argumentative with others and get very hot under the collar over everything.

Again, it’s all hypothetical and I think just needed to distract me from the unfortunate events of the last few weeks - but I do like to over analyse where it comes to potential new dogs, it took me seven years before committing to a corgi and researching, the roughs were easy as my grandparents had them so I knew them like the back of my hand anyway. Therefore I think obsessively researching in my spare time may keep me in my mawkishness out of the hair and worries of OH and well meaning Mum.

Last edited:

Parrotperson

Visit site
I feel for you P3LH. We lost our last dog two years ago and I'm not sure OH is ready yet for a new one. However I am very much now.

Recently it has become plain to me I need a dog (or two or three!) in my life.

Friends have a JRT (I know glutton for punishment!) who might be in pup and have offered me first choice.

And I've posted here about maybe getting a gun dog breed and having some fun.

One thing is certain. Never just one dog again.

Can we have a picture of the wee tank please?

P3LH

Visit site
I was absolute in my refusal, when well meaning relatives and friends started reminding me I am always the first to encourage someone who has lost a dog to start planning for the next one soon after. Absolute. I would stick to the two and that’s that, but nearly a week in I think they may have a point.

I am doubtful this will be an ‘anytime soon’ situation as I am still grieving terribly for Cooper, and despite my loved ones well meaning intentions I don’t think I’m ready for another dog just yet however - I think maybe something to mentally look forward towards could be good too. In the end I know I’ll get another as corgi Sherman tank in particular, will drive me even more bloody nuts than usual without someone to entertain her and the eldest rough just likes to sleep.

Not another rough though. The blue boy was irreplaceable. The requirements when the time is right would be: the bigger end of the small size scale to medium sized. Not too much grooming, but could be persuaded. Calm, easy going nature and temperament. A happy go lucky sort of dog. Not too high energy or known for being hyper. Trainable would be a bonus but after having a corgi who has big ears and only ever chooses when to use them I suppose I can cope. Must be sociable and a breed that generally just sort of gets on witg life. No spaniels. Not another corgi as much as I always envisioned a pack, as I fear the current one would end up constantly butting heads with another dog like her.

Whippets, bedlington whippets and border terriers probably rise to the forefront of my mind - but I would be open to ideas. It has to be something a bit calmer and more straightforward than bossy corgi, and not someone who would annoy elder rough too much. I was a terrier person before the roughs, but most of these rule themselves out as I’ve done my years of dogs that are very argumentative with others and get very hot under the collar over everything.

Again, it’s all hypothetical and I think just needed to distract me from the unfortunate events of the last few weeks - but I do like to over analyse where it comes to potential new dogs, it took me seven years before committing to a corgi and researching, the roughs were easy as my grandparents had them so I knew them like the back of my hand anyway. Therefore I think obsessively researching in my spare time may keep me in my mawkishness out of the hair and worries of OH and well meaning Mum.
This really should have said that I’m open to any breed suggestions from people…apologies it was done mid way break on our morning walk!

Widgeon

Visit site
We have a cairn terrier (he is four) and as a breed they do tend to be "softer" than JRTs / Patterdales etc. It sounds to me like one might tick all your boxes so maybe worth a thought? I would imagine waiting lists are quite long at the moment but that's probably true of most breeds.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
what a lovely photo of the 3 of them..the roughs are so good looking..so sad that you lost your boy..

labradors on the whole are easy dogs. friend has a lovely irish terrier who doesnt seem to have the same terrier behaviour of the small ones. or for a small intelligent dog, a poodle is a nice dog when not clipped in the showing type clip. or miniature schnauzer, again have friends with these and they seem to be quite biddable on the whole or a lurcher or greyhound, there are lots in rescues waiting for good homes..

Books'n'dogs

Visit site
I have a Miniature Schnauzer, and while I am sure he's not representative of the entire breed, I would NOT recommend them in your situation. My dog doesn't do well in a group of dogs being, as you put it, 'argumentative and hot under the collar'. I think he would have done well as an only dog but he's caused me more gray hairs and headaches than I care to remember.

Best of luck in your search.

P3LH

Visit site
Thanks for all the posts. Whilst I do like dachshunds I’m not sure how well they and madam would gel. I like labs but possibly a bit bigger than I had in my head and I hadn’t considered cairns or their ilk. Mini schnauzers are out from experience but that could be because all those I’ve met are pet bred.

annette4 - corgi’s have my heart but madam is so so bossy that I just don’t think she would cope well with another dog like her at all. She finds spending time with our friends corgi almost impossible. In many ways, personality wise and the long nose which I miss a lot already, a whippet isn’t too dissimilar to my blue boy in character which is possibly why I’m quite drawn to them. OH isn’t keen but, she wasn’t on corgi’s either and I’d say she and the tank could be best described as having an affair behind my back most of the times (the dogs are mine). I am thinking a whippet or whippet based lurcher could really fit the bill, and be that ideal middle of the road dog that would gel well with the other two. Not going to argue back with madam and sensible enough to shirk off any of her bossiness, and not too much for the elder rough.

Perhaps…

P3LH

Visit site
Maybe I missed something but why not another rough OP? (or is it because you just can't replace your lovely old chap?)
Yes and no. He was a throwback in a litter of smooth collies, so ended up looking like they did from the sixties with a very manageable coat. He had a great personality and temperament, gentle, calm and loved the world. Most of what’s bred today are small, with huge coats and scared of their own shadow. Not my cup of tea at all. There are some breeders of the more traditional types out there but still, it’s a no - he is irreplaceable and I know I would compare to him when I know there won’t be another like like him wherever I may have looked to find one. I envisioned having him a lot longer than just our eight years together so hadn’t really anticipated that we would be looking at another dog for many many years.

Parrotperson

Visit site
Yes and no. He was a throwback in a litter of smooth collies, so ended up looking like they did from the sixties with a very manageable coat. He had a great personality and temperament, gentle, calm and loved the world. Most of what’s bred today are small, with huge coats and scared of their own shadow. Not my cup of tea at all. There are some breeders of the more traditional types out there but still, it’s a no - he is irreplaceable and I know I would compare to him when I know there won’t be another like like him wherever I may have looked to find one. I envisioned having him a lot longer than just our eight years together so hadn’t really anticipated that we would be looking at another dog for many many years.

xxxxx. Understand completely.

Annette4

Visit site
annette4 - corgi’s have my heart but madam is so so bossy that I just don’t think she would cope well with another dog like her at all. She finds spending time with our friends corgi almost impossible. In many ways, personality wise and the long nose which I miss a lot already, a whippet isn’t too dissimilar to my blue boy in character which is possibly why I’m quite drawn to them. OH isn’t keen but, she wasn’t on corgi’s either and I’d say she and the tank could be best described as having an affair behind my back most of the times (the dogs are mine). I am thinking a whippet or whippet based lurcher could really fit the bill, and be that ideal middle of the road dog that would gel well with the other two. Not going to argue back with madam and sensible enough to shirk off any of her bossiness, and not too much for the elder rough.

Perhaps…

Just avoid a mix with saluki in it, Dobby has taught me that much! ?

P3LH

Visit site
Just avoid a mix with saluki in it, Dobby has taught me that much! ?
Never. As I’ve mentioned before, growing up everyone I knew had working terriers and lurchers - with the occasional bull breed or lab in the mix there too. I remember a family friend acquiring two Salukis in the days when coursing was a thing (of which I won’t get into the politics of) - that was probably about 1999, they ran off and kept running the first time they were ever off lead.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re still going to this day. Nuff said.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I’m sorry for your loss, I didn’t realise the boy was gone. ?

I was going to say lurcher but you beat me to it. I think whippets are very gorgeous and I’d say a mix will cost a great deal less than a purebred right now, even my common as muck breed is minimum £1.5K currently. I don’t know your financial circumstances, but I think prices are currently very silly.

Shutterbug

Visit site
I'm sorry for you loss hun. We lost our Alaskan Malamute, Korben, last August and I was beyond devastated. I swore I would never get another one but, as I was browsing facebook someone had shared a post from a Romanian rescue site and my heart just melted at this pitiful little sight that had been through 3 homes already and returned each time. We went to meet her and a week later she was living with us. She has been here 6 months now and she needed some work, but she's so loving and playful - she has brought a smile back to my face. You will know when you are ready. I still sob everytime a photo of Korben pops un in my facebook memories, but Nieve makes it better.

deb_l222

Visit site
Awww so sorry you lost Cooper. It’s the hardest thing isn’t it.

I’ve been looking for a pal for Willow for a while now, ever since she became an only dog in February but I haven’t had much success. I’ve always had springers but there’s a distinct lack of them coming into rescue so I’ve broadened my horizons but it still hasn’t helped much.

I have to stay clear of bull breeds because a lot of caravan sites won’t allow them but staffies seem to be the only breed still in abundance. I’ve looked at bedlingtons or beddy/whippets but never in a million years am I going to part with 3k for a dog!!

I have now resorted to looking at overseas rescues which is something I never thought I would do but at this rate Willow will be a teenager before I find her a pal :)

P3LH

Visit site
Thanks everyone - I didn’t post a separate thread but just followed up the ‘tricky situation’ thread - more info there, still find it hard to discuss.

I have commissioned a portrait of him and the artist, knowing the circumstances, put me to the front of the waiting list and it should be here in a few days. Have previewed it virtually and it’s very lovely - as didn’t have ashes etc back.

P3LH

Visit site
I’m sorry for your loss, I didn’t realise the boy was gone. ?

I was going to say lurcher but you beat me to it. I think whippets are very gorgeous and I’d say a mix will cost a great deal less than a purebred right now, even my common as muck breed is minimum £1.5K currently. I don’t know your financial circumstances, but I think prices are currently very silly.
Some are double that and looks wise are quite horrible. In my head whippets are what I remember growing up thirty odd years ago, small agile dogs like racehorses - and usually bought from dodgy blokes with ferrets or gypsy’s (god bless the people my parents exposed me to as a child). Having a look now loads are either tiny and ratty or huge - so maybe it won’t be a whippet after all…..who knows, it’s been fun browsing and raising my eyebrows at prices at least. I have a few connections that still breed lurchers but most have bull basis these days, and they aren’t for me. Who knows what’ll happen.

Birker2020

Visit site
This really should have said that I’m open to any breed suggestions from people…apologies it was done mid way break on our morning walk!
We have a beagle from Beagle Welfare, they are a brilliant organisation and have a whole range of ages that are available for rehoming at a sensible price, the price covers their costs for neutering/spaying, vacinnatons, microchip, etc, etc.

Our dog is just amazing, she was 2 when we rehomed her, she is now just turned 8 and is a lovely, kind, loving dog. When I lost my horse recently and was sobbing away one night when I'd visited the yard and seen an empty stable she wouldn't leave me alone, she knew I was upset and was licking me and checking I was okay every few minutes.

Sometimes we pretend that one of us is hurt and we say "Arr what's wrong with Mummy/Daddy?" and she will go straight over to whoever's turn it is and give them a big cuddle and lick! Amazing dog.

P3LH

Visit site
Well I happened upon the perfect lurcher pup, from a good breeder rather than a dodgy source too. Also ready just as I finish work for the summer. Hits the criteria on every front and even is the quietest and most laid back in the litter.

…but as the possibility was to become a reality I felt m, for want of a better phrasing, very dishonest and disloyal to Cooper, so didn’t pursue past initial discussions. It is utterly ridiculous I know, completely. I find myself increasingly surprised by myself really as I am never this mawkish, I have always either added another pup or gone on a waiting list for one very shortly after losing a dog, and always encouraged others to do the same but this time It feels very different. OH and I discussed this evening and she suggested maybe it is all a bit like shock from going from him being fine, then the next day struggling with his legs, to be at the vets the following day and then dead ten days later after probably the most harrowing and awful journey to the end.

I question my own judgement too as should have PTS sooner rather than exhausting options and investigations to try find a resolve, when I think I knew in my heart the writing was on the wall, but I simply couldn’t give up on him at just eight - and I think that sort of blame/questioning of judgement also plays hugely into not being able to consider another pup. I do blame myself a little, and for not seeing anything sooner when clearly he must have been unwell but not really showing anything - for a while, this year has been so consumed by covid and long covid and the poor bugger just lay by me throughout the whole thing, and I didn’t even happen to notice.

I am a firm believer in that we have such different relationships with each different dig and whilst I love my other two, my relationship with them is very very different to how it was with him. Alas, dogs eh. I think it is safe to say 2021 has thus far not been the most brilliant!

sorry for moaning again, but my usual go to dog friends and family members for discussion are all really well meaning but conversations with them just get shot down with ‘but you must at least start to think about another’

Last edited:

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
We are all different in our reactions to losing our best friends. I remember losing my very special cat (in the days before I had dogs) and I just couldn't feel anything for a long time. I went through the motions of fussing the others but felt nothing and it was as though there was an invisible barrier between me and them. It passed eventually and in time another cat came along who I am sure was the reincarnation of the one I lost. She was dumped in our hedge as a kitten just three weeks before we left the farm so was meant to be. When the time is right you will find another but right now is obviously not that time.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site