Vegan boyfriend...and hunting....

Bri101

Visit site
Hi all just want to rant really!!
I have a vegan boyfriend who is completely against hunting....my issue is I have dreamed of hunting since I was about 8 years old when I helped a friend out at a hunt meet she hosted on her property. Never had my own horse up until recently so haven't been able to, but now I do have my own horse I'm desperate to get out and do it, however I've been told by my boyfriend that this is not something he ever wants me to get involved in. Have tried to explain that I have lived in the countryside my entire life and have grown up around hunting,shooting etc and it's just normal for me. However he is not having it, I have used every argument against him I can think of including the fact that there is a ban currently but I have now run out of arguments....do I just ditch him?? 😂😂 is anyone else in any sort of similar position and can reassure me that one day I might convince him, or is there just no hope??

c2b

Visit site
Hunt the clean boot with bloodhounds? Assuming you think given his attitude there is a longterm future for your relationship.

Templebar

Visit site
Gosh i don't envy you at all. If you're already suggesting ditching him not forget about the hunting then it sounds like you might be made up in your mind.

I cant see his opinion changing. If it's something that is as crucial as this then i would say forget about the hunting. However i would also be concerned how his opinions may come into other aspects of the sport, eventing, racing/point to point, dressage, show jumping. Each one has their own problematic areas and depending on what you plan to do with your horse, i think you might have further problems down the line.

If you want to try and convince him look at a blood hound pack, depending on where you are you may have to travel. At least then you can show him that there are no animals hunted so no risk of them being caught. The problem with foxhound packs no matter how law abiding there will be those that are convinced they are not and there is always a risk.

Equi

Visit site
There is no way I could date a vegan. Every one I have met have been completely intolerable and literally only have one conversation over and over again. I was a vegetarian for 5 years and the vegans drove me back to meat 😂

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
Hi all just want to rant really!!
I have a vegan boyfriend who is completely against hunting....my issue is I have dreamed of hunting since I was about 8 years old when I helped a friend out at a hunt meet she hosted on her property. Never had my own horse up until recently so haven't been able to, but now I do have my own horse I'm desperate to get out and do it, however I've been told by my boyfriend that this is not something he ever wants me to get involved in. Have tried to explain that I have lived in the countryside my entire life and have grown up around hunting,shooting etc and it's just normal for me. However he is not having it, I have used every argument against him I can think of including the fact that there is a ban currently but I have now run out of arguments....do I just ditch him?? ���� is anyone else in any sort of similar position and can reassure me that one day I might convince him, or is there just no hope??

he's a vegan-he's made quite the commitment to not eating or using animal products (if he's doing it right)-why do you think killing animals for sport is compatible with that? some beliefs are just insurmountable, especially if neither of you can respect the other. break up and move on.

Bri101

Visit site
He's against everything I do with my horse, right down to the leather on my tack! Trouble is horse came after the boyfriend and when I met him, I was having a break from horses because of some health issues so my hobby was never an issue until I decided I was right enough to buy myself a horse of my very own. We have been together for 2 years but we really have hit a point where it's testing me

Bri101

Visit site
he's a vegan-he's made quite the commitment to not eating or using animal products (if he's doing it right)-why do you think killing animals for sport is compatible with that? some beliefs are just insurmountable, especially if neither of you can respect the other. break up and move on.

But my argument is that my only intention is bloodhounds therefore why does it matter so much

Abi90

Visit site
This is my intention completely but he isn't at all convinced it's clean

I have a vegan friend, and she is lovely, but she is convinced that Bloodhound packs all go after foxes. This isn’t ignorance on her part as she actually knows nothing about it and has just assumed it’s the same. But she doesn’t want to be informed either as it doesn’t fit in with her opinions

Templebar

Visit site
Yes the horse came after but overall they came first, its not like you had never known anything about horses before and now have one. I would think if it was me its time to move on, the differences between you are going to be too great and there is no point trying to argue and change one another.

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
Gosh i don't envy you at all. If you're already suggesting ditching him not forget about the hunting then it sounds like you might be made up in your mind.

I cant see his opinion changing. If it's something that is as crucial as this then i would say forget about the hunting. However i would also be concerned how his opinions may come into other aspects of the sport, eventing, racing/point to point, dressage, show jumping. Each one has their own problematic areas and depending on what you plan to do with your horse, i think you might have further problems down the line.

If you want to try and convince him look at a blood hound pack, depending on where you are you may have to travel. At least then you can show him that there are no animals hunted so no risk of them being caught. The problem with foxhound packs no matter how law abiding there will be those that are convinced they are not and there is always a risk.

Treading carefully might I suggest controlling behaviour

MissTyc

Visit site
Get him to read up on the bloodhounds and stop being ignorant. He doesn't like the idea because he doesn't have the information. Encourage him to get that information, for you.

Templebar

Visit site
I have a vegan friend, and she is lovely, but she is convinced that Bloodhound packs all go after foxes. This isn’t ignorance on her part as she actually knows nothing about it and has just assumed it’s the same. But she doesn’t want to be informed either as it doesn’t fit in with her opinions

It is ignorance as described as lack of knowledge and information, see below. Its also worse as they have no intention to learn.

noun
the state or fact of being ignorant; lack of knowledge, learning, information, etc.

GirlFriday

Visit site
Oh, do go hunting, asap, on your horse who "was once very lazy but now he bolts off, bucks, spins and goes whichever direction he wants. He threw me off over the fence the other day" - you'll break your neck/horses leg and problem of what bf thinks of what you do with horse will be solved :)

Alternatively resurrect this thread next Autumn if you're still with the OH and have the horsey under sufficiently suitable management to try cubbing (or whatever the bloodhound equivalent is!)

Abi90

Visit site
It is ignorance as described as lack of knowledge and information, see below. Its also worse as they have no intention to learn.

noun
the state or fact of being ignorant; lack of knowledge, learning, information, etc.

I think i meant day “is” and phone changed it to “isn’t”

Bri101

Visit site
Oh, do go hunting, asap, on your horse who "was once very lazy but now he bolts off, bucks, spins and goes whichever direction he wants. He threw me off over the fence the other day" - you'll break your neck/horses leg and problem of what bf thinks of what you do with horse will be solved :)

Alternatively resurrect this thread next Autumn if you're still with the OH and have the horsey under sufficiently suitable management to try cubbing (or whatever the bloodhound equivalent is!)

Not really sure I get where you are going with this??

GirlFriday

Visit site
Not really sure I get where you are going with this??

It was a light hearted way of saying that you might be getting ahead of yourselves. Some of us (including me) have a tendency to worry about all sorts of things that may never become relevant. There is a lot to be said for enjoying the moment.

fredflop

Visit site
He sounds controlling. However if you really like him, I’d suggest you ask him to have a sit down and a chat. Ask him to research hunting properly, not just from the sab Facebook pages that are awful.

I’d also point out the fact that most saddles are leather, and it’s not always possible to get a synthetic saddle.

pennyturner

Visit site
OP, this person thinks that they have the right to control what you do. Today it is hunting, but it is just an excuse to manipulate you. Tomorrow it might be whether you are allowed to go visit your own mother (she doesn't like me, who do you love, her or me? etc. etc.)
Decent people do not treat their partners like this.

Trust your instincts - you know this isn't right. Get out now, before the real trouble starts.

cremedemonthe

Was Caterham on the Hill, Surrey now Wales
Visit site
OP, this person thinks that they have the right to control what you do. Today it is hunting, but it is just an excuse to manipulate you. Tomorrow it might be whether you are allowed to go visit your own mother (she doesn't like me, who do you love, her or me? etc. etc.)
Decent people do not treat their partners like this.

Trust your instincts - you know this isn't right. Get out now, before the real trouble starts.

^^^^^^^^^
Another 100% :)

windand rain

Visit site
Another thought of the slippery slope to being controlling. Strong belief can be impossible to compromise on. It also depends on why he is vegan of he thinks he is helping animals he is deluded if he hates them and all they stand for it is a valid reason

Cecile

Visit site
He's against everything I do with my horse, right down to the leather on my tack! Trouble is horse came after the boyfriend and when I met him, I was having a break from horses because of some health issues so my hobby was never an issue until I decided I was right enough to buy myself a horse of my very own. We have been together for 2 years but we really have hit a point where it's testing me

Sounds awful, what happens if you wear leather shoes, will he expect you to take them off or buy canvas or synthetic ones?
Everyone is entitled to have and follow their beliefs but their rights stop when they try to push their beliefs onto others
I also get alarm bells when anyone is being told they should or should not do something, discussion/debate is good, controlling behaviour is to be avoided at all costs