Very sick horse

fatpiggy

Visit site
Just had a sudden thought - how about Lyme's disease from ticks? It would certainly cause neurological problems and in humans produces flu-like symptoms. Do you have sheep or deer nearby?

Aces_High

Visit site
Lunch check (very kind Mother and my best friend have been checking him on the hour) and he's still wobbly. Neighed at the top of his voice for lunch and then wolfed it down. Strange he has such a huge appetite for his hard feed. He is having a new batch of hay as he won't eat the hay he has (which is very good). He's come back negative for the EHV PCR so that's good. This terrible staggering is awful - wondering if it's more awful for me than it is for him? Thank you Changed for your link, I've forwarded it on to vet but I think there are a few clinical signs which don't add up with my chap - will be investigated anyway.

Aces_High

Visit site
We don't have any sheep or cows near my paddocks. We do have wild deer but they don't generally come into the paddocks due to my fencing etc. The cats haven't had any ticks this summer and we do not have much in the way of trees etc. (arable farmers!)

Changes

Visit site
Except is it dependent on the opossum for contamination?

I looked into it ages ago for a friend who had a horse with symptoms that fitted EPM, and there have been cases in Yorkshire. It can also be transmitted by birds, and risen flood waters (are was a factor with my friends horse) frequently encourage seagulls, who are considered culprits.

I've searched for the relevant pages as I can't remember all the info, but to no avail, hence why I just linked to a main page.

Maisie2

Visit site
Poor you. Hope there is good news soon, keep strong and try not to spend all night awake worrying!!!!! I know, easier said than done :-( Thinking of you both.

MochaDun

Visit site
Glad to hear he's eating well though shame he's not stabilising on the shaky legs front.

I'm not that knowledgeable as I don't know what the symptoms are beyond flu type ones but what about Weils Disease? Transmitted by rats via water.. Horses and humans can get it I think. Someone at work I know sadly had to have their horse put down due to it a few years ago and the farmer at the livery where she kept it also went down with it at the same time but was OK.

Holly Hocks

Visit site
Just read this. I hope your horse gets better soon. Is it possible that he has digested something poisonous? The symptoms suggest that something poisonous might have been eaten, or if not, then something viral. Positive vibes going your way x

Aces_High

Visit site
I am very on top of rat/mice control on the yard, I know it doesn't rule it out. I have permenantly full bait boxes. I do scrub their water troughs out every week in the paddocks and daily in the stables. I also have 3 stable cats to help the problem. We are thinking now that general poisoning from eating plants etc is out of the window due to all his liver results coming back as normal. Going to get a hay and pasture analysis done to see what that comes back with. Vet is back out in an hour and another night of hourly checks for me.

Rose Folly

Visit site
Came on this very late in the day - can only send you and your horse all my best wishes. I could only come up with laurel, box or yew poisoning - but I think he'd be dead by now, or purpura haemorrogia (hope I've spelt that right). A childhood pony had it - and recovered. It's very rare and he did stagger a lot at the beginning. But it has very noticeable and horrible symptoms (leaking blood through the pores) and I'm sure you would have seen that by now. Please keep us all posted. And hope you're holding up all right yourself? It's the loneliest time when you have a sick child or animal.

Aces_High

Visit site
Ears are clean and his neck/head movement is very good. Eating his supper like a demon and tried to kick me. If he wasn't staggering and wobbly you wouldn't think there was anything wrong with him. Much brighter in his skin and eyes but membranes are very pale - again goes with anaemia and blood cell count. Heart rate, temp and breathing rate still normal. Heart rate is 40 everytime

only_me

Visit site
sorry to read this, hope he gets well soon :( and hugs for you (())

Have you considered EIA? I belive that is the symptoms of it, virus type with anemia :(

Also, could it be wobblers? not just normal wobblers, but equine wobbles anemia, which has symptoms of ataxia (implying dysfunction of parts of the nervous system), show weakness in the hindquarters, or may knuckle over in their fetlocks, particularly in the rear. With advanced stages of the disease they are prone to falling (wiki).

Just an idea, although i hope not :(

vibes xx

Empy&Treacle

Visit site
Aces_High, thinking of you. Very best wishes being sent your way... I really the vets find out what it is and that your boy pulls through. Xx

dad_io

Visit site
Hoping he better today and the vet finds something to treat

We had similar to this earlier this year with Dexter. The vet still thinks it was likely to be some form of poisoning. His bloods were all over the place and he went into 2nd stage liver failure then swelled up so much his skin split on his legs then his heart started to fail. He ended up on 132 tablets a day but we have slowly nursed him back and have just started to lightly work him in the field to see if his body can cope with a return to ridden work. If he cant cope then he will spend the winter with my clydie tripod in the field.A very stressful and trying time for all of us so we know what its like.

Aces_High

Visit site
Thank you all again for your good wishes. I can report last night was uneventful - thankfully. I've changed his hay batch and he's eaten 3 slices over night plus all his hard feed and is drinking well. This morning, more jabs and some coordination tests which he has passed. EIA came back neg just waiting for the serum test results. Running more bloods tomorrow to see if the current meds are making any change. Poor lad is now a pin cushion but is being an amazing patient. He is worse on the right hand side than the left. I will tell you more about the hay shortly - just having to do a little work first.

Dizzydancer

Visit site
Glad last night was uneventful and he is drinking more now. Hopefully the vets will be able to find out what it is soon, or he just makes a miraculous recovery!
(((vibes))) for the rest of today x