Very worried ... youngster in Horspital

eggs

Visit site
So sorry to hear this. I've lost two of my homebreds when they were only three - it is the young ones that really get to you.

Tobiano

Visit site
Thank you for the kind messages. We had him from 6 months old and he was so friendly and sweet with people and horses. Last time I saw him he was grooming my other horse Bilbo. I never even got to sit on him. My daughter is devastated and I have had to tell her on the phone from 300 miles away.
I am at work trying to pretend nothing has happened. Had arranged to go home tomorrow to see him / pick him up. Now don't know what to do with myself. Don't know how to go to the yard again. Just cannot believe this has happened. He was supposed to live to be 30 and I would be 80.
I had just moved him between different fields and toturing myself this was the cause. He'd only been away from latest field 3 months but is that what did it? I just feel I have failed him. He was supposed to have a brilliant life with me. I am retiring in 8 weeks to spend time with my horses. Now he's not there.
Sorry being so self pitying but it is heart breaking to think of his life just snuffed out in an instant. Still hasn't sunk in properly.
Thank you for your thoughts x

wills_91

Visit site
So sorry to hear this, such a sad loss. Please don't torture yourself it wasn't anything you done & there is so much still unknown about EGS. I have been on a yard that had 3 horses effected by it, we lost one its a horrible horrible thing and a cure for it or preventitive cant come quick enough. Hugs x

claireandnadia

Visit site
I'm so sorry to read. I lost my 22 year old mare to grass sickness last week. It's completely heartbreaking but if I can tell you anything it is to not beat yourself up trying to find the answers as the answers are still not known.

Sandstone1

Visit site
So very sorry for your loss. I know nothing can take away the pain just now, but the only consolation is that he had a good life with you and was loved and cared for for his short life. So sorry

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
If you're committed to coming up to Norfolk tomorrow you're very welcome to come and talk to me and my nags if you are anywhere near NW Norfolk. We can't take your pain away but we can distract you for a short while and give you something different to do/see.

_GG_

Visit site
He's gone. He wasn't even 4. It was grass sickness. My poor sweet boy.

I am so so sorry to read this Tobiano :(. Bless you for giving him a wonderful life while he was with you. It is so hard to bear at any time but seems especially hard when they are so young. Please be kind to yourself. xxx

Luci07

Visit site
So very sorry to read this. You can't beat yourself up over this as they just have not really got to the bottom of this dreadful disease apart from identifying certain traits (such as it seems to hit younger horses). Really sorry for your loss.

BlueSocks

Visit site
Really sorry about your youngster. My baby is rising 3, she's so full of life I can't begin to imagine how you must be feeling. So sorry x

Just to add, its natural to feel guilt and search for a reason when something tragic happens but I hope when the initial shock subsides that you know deep down that this wasn't your fault. If science can't understand this horrible disease properly then we as owners certainly can't prevent or predict it, all we can do is love and care for our horses as best we know how, which is just what you were doing xx

Last edited:

Tobiano

Visit site
If you're committed to coming up to Norfolk tomorrow you're very welcome to come and talk to me and my nags if you are anywhere near NW Norfolk. We can't take your pain away but we can distract you for a short while and give you something different to do/see.
THank you so much. That is so kind. I think I will stay in London with my head in the sand til the weekend now. X